F6F-3 with bomb rack and F6F-3N

72modeler

I found this just now and thought it might be of interest, as it offers a good view of two F6F-3's aboard the Enterprise in 1944 with the external bomb pylon which could be fitted to the RH wing center section. I hope it is useful for modeling projects.

Mike

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/020625.jpg

I discovered this while looking for more photos of the -3 bomb rack; I was not aware that the Collings Foundation had this Hellcat and that she was a genuine F6F-3N! Can't wait to see the final result at an airshow! This was one well-traveled Hellcat!

https://www.collingsfoundation.org/aircrafts/grumman-f6f-3n-hellcat/

Edited by 72modeler
added link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you.  When we had a discussion a while back on the evolution of Hellcat bomb capability, it was hard to find any photos of the single rack installation.  It would be good to link your pictures to that thread but I couldn't find it.

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

When we had a discussion a while back on the evolution of Hellcat bomb capability,

SH,

I thought about adding my photo to that post, as I remembered we had a discussion about it, but I couldn't find it, either! 

Mike

Hellcats seem to be thought of as a rather bland topic, you have your -3 with three (ahem, 4) colors and your -5 with one color.  And that's mostly true if you ignore the variations within the "tri-color" pattern, the early two-color -3s, the post war drones and missile test birds, the night fighters, or the cannon armed variants.  I'm not sure I'd seen one with a single rack under the right wing before.

If anyone is interested in a night fighter Hellcat, the Dragon/Cyber Hobby F6F-3 kit released a few years ago looks to have a radar scope on the instrument panel suitable for a -3E or -3N.  The windscreen is wrong for a -3 and there are no radar pods, but they put the scope in the right place!

Edited by Jackson Duvalier