Kinetic F-104G Luftwaffe Startfighters 1/48

Andy350

Picked this up today, certainly does look like an involved one.  I was going to start but, I would require additional paints.  So will leave this to Christmas.  The whole range of colours is available by MIG, so I think I will try and mix between Tamiya acrylic and the MIG range, unless there is a gleaming obvious reason why I shouldn't do this.

I am going to following a couple of other build on this as I really do not want to mess this up, I want it to take pride of place.  with that said are there any steps I should take to make this run as smoothly as possible.  To say I am apprehensive is an understatement!!

I am not sure what scheme to build yet, but I do like 22+39(7117 and 22+91(7174) not that I understand what these numbers mean?

49104366393_5538b602df_b.jpg

Edited by Andy350
  • Like 7

33 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

I am excited about your build, coz last week i got my one too, but i didnt start yet coz some other projects are still in the pipeline.

Good luck with your build.

Thanks Harry, it is very daunting to say the least, I've seen a few F-104's built here to a very high standard.  If I plan and don't rush I should be ok.

• Like 2

Andy350,

This is what I pulled from the internet about the German Air Force buzz numbers I.E 22+39 . This system was changed in 1968. The large Iron Cross and serial numbers have since been replaced on all aircraft by a four number registration code, appearing somewhat in the manner of the earlier alphanumeric Geschwaderkennung combat wing code characters used by their World War II predecessor — separated by an Iron Cross in the middle: the first two numbers identify the type of aircraft and the second two numbers are a sequential for each type. When writing the registration number the Iron Cross is written as a "+". I.e. the Tornado IDS of the Air Force are numbered from 43+01 to 46+22, while the Tornado ECR of the Air Force are numbered from 46+23 to 46+57. The numbers from 30+01 to 33+99 are being used for the Eurofighter.

The bracketed number I'm not sure but guessing the original manufactures serial number (7117). Always liked the F-104. Had a few NASA jets pass through Cannon AFB New Mexico while I was stationed there.

Anybody else want to chime in I'm up for correction

All the Best Andy,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Andy350 said:

I am not sure what scheme to build yet, but I do like 22+39(7117 and 22+91(7174) not that I understand what these numbers mean?

In this case, the numbers before the iron cross tell which company built the jet, and the number after the cross is the individual aircraft in that range. The four digits starting with 7 are construction numbers.

All explained here: Click

And here: More Click

• Thanks 1

On 22/11/2019 at 17:29, Andy350 said:

Thanks Harry, it is very daunting to say the least, I've seen a few F-104's built here to a very high standard.  If I plan and don't rush I should be ok.

Just go for it! :) Build it at your pace and have fun! It's a detailed kit for sure and has some small fiddly bits but goes together beautifully and I don't see any major pitfalls with the kit that could ruin the fun. 

What paints are you currently using? I wouldn't worry about too much of them either - kit manufacturers want to push their own brands they are associated with so it's definitely not a must to get MiG paints for this (no experience on MiG, can't tell whether I like them or not really). Only problem I can see using Tamiya and acrylic paints together that you can paint acrylic over Tamiya but the other way around will cause problems - as Tamiya isn't really a true acrylic but alcohol based. But anyway, get paints you are comfortable using and suit your technique (brush, airbrush). For the specific colours, I'm sure you will get help from here - kit suggested paints are usually not the only right way to go, sometimes they can be way off and more true to the actual colours can be found with little research.

Anyway, looking forwards the build - whenever you choose to build it. I've had fun with mine for sure and can't wait to paint it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, reini said:

Just go for it! :) Build it at your pace and have fun! It's a detailed kit for sure and has some small fiddly bits but goes together beautifully and I don't see any major pitfalls with the kit that could ruin the fun. 

What paints are you currently using? I wouldn't worry about too much of them either - kit manufacturers want to push their own brands they are associated with so it's definitely not a must to get MiG paints for this (no experience on MiG, can't tell whether I like them or not really). Only problem I can see using Tamiya and acrylic paints together that you can paint acrylic over Tamiya but the other way around will cause problems - as Tamiya isn't really a true acrylic but alcohol based. But anyway, get paints you are comfortable using and suit your technique (brush, airbrush). For the specific colours, I'm sure you will get help from here - kit suggested paints are usually not the only right way to go, sometimes they can be way off and more true to the actual colours can be found with little research.

Anyway, looking forwards the build - whenever you choose to build it. I've had fun with mine for sure and can't wait to paint it.

Thanks for the advice, I'm ordering a set of MIG paints to complete this, but I do have some Tamiya paints that I was planing on using as well, I will check to see where these paints will be required.  Thanks Andy. 

You might want to have a look at this site, which covers a great deal of ground about German Zippers.  http://www.916-starfighter.de/

You're almost certain to find a picture of your subject choice.

It's even got info on the numbering systems.  http://www.916-starfighter.de/number_system.htm

Edited by MikeC
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Marlin said:

Great Andy350.  :D 

Now we're (soon) building the same kit. 

Good luck with yours.

/Bosse

I was going to build a WW2 British tank before, but I'm tempted to make a start sooner than later 😉.  Because I am so clumsy I'm tempted to build and fit the under carriage at the end, can you see any problems with this?

21 minutes ago, phildagreek said:

What's the quality of the kit looking like, good mouldings etc?

Apart from am expensive tank build I've got to do I've not seen this detail before.  I'm going to follow others have the experience on this.  Even the cockpit, you get two seat options.

49131910752_d627d92051_b.jpg

49131221468_bb85343f1d_b.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...