1/72 MC130J?

Whitewolf

I know Italeri do an MC130H, but I'm assuming that kit has the engines and props typical of a C130H as opposed to a C130J? I would like to do an MC130J, we often get Mildenhall MC130Js on low level formation training sorties passing overhead at night here in York.  I'm thinking that possibly using the Flightpath conversion set with an Italeri 'J' kit might be the answer? I would then need a set of decals for Mildenhall based birds - any thoughts or suggestions welcomed.

Yes, the Italeri MC-130H kit is the base E/H model kit with an extra sprue for the MC parts. You could get the MC-130H and replaced the engines with after market AE2000 J model engines though I suspect the the antenna and sensor fit of the J will be different to that on the H. You's need to some research.

Wolfpak Decals in the USA have decals for MC-130H and J aircraft, not sure if they are the Mildenhall based aircraft.

The MC130J is the replacement for the MC130H so a few of the lumps and bumps are similar and in the Flightpath MC130H conversion set. The J has the underwing refuelling pods also available from Flightpath. So in theory, using an Italeri J kit its feasible to build the MC130J. Just a case then of finding some Decals.

17 hours ago, KoenL said:

The Italeri kit is a MC-130E. Quite a few webshops list it incorrectly as 'MC-130H'.

https://www.italeri.com/en/product/2452

Yes its surprising how its listed in a lot places as an MC130H. I imagine Italeri will take advantage of their 'J' kit to come up with an MC130J at somepoint.

• 9 months later...

I know this post is a little bit old, but I've got some input for you if you're still interested. The MC kits that are out there are of the legacy bird so youd be better off getting the c-130j offered by italeri. i think there are other brands, but theyre just a rebox of the italeri kit if i understand correctly. depending on how accurate you want to be with it, you will need quite a bit of extras to make it right. some are offered aftermarket, some will need to be scratch built. heres a list of what i bought as a starting point for mine. 

1/72 italeri c-130j

brengun sponsons

brengun flaps

wolfpak decals

flight path refueling pods

brengun engine nacelles 

I'll be building this as a diorama refueling an mh47 over afghanistan. I haven't seen any documented builds, so i will be documenting mine to explain how to get it fairly accurate. feel free to ask questions on here, or i will be documenting the build on insta: Ebys_scale_models

oh yeah, i fly the mc-130j so i think I owe it to the community to do a good job haha

• Like 2

Just noting for the record, if you don't intend to start your MC-130J build right away, you might consider waiting for the upcoming C-130 kit from Zvezda (theoretically due sometime this year). The first release will be a C-130H rather than a J, but based on the CAD previews it will be more accurate than any previous Hercules kits (capturing, for example, the fuselage "crease" at the cargo floor line).  It's also a possibility that Zvezda may issue a J version, though until we see sprue shots that's purely speculation.

In any case, the corrections needed to bring Italeri's C-130J up to accuracy for a baseline J aren't too far off from what you'd need to make a J from an H (and the MC updates would apply either way).  The only potential up-side of using the Italeri kit (aside from it already being available) is that most, possibly all, of the applicable aftermarket sets are designed for it, thus might require some adjustments to work on the Zvezda tooling.

The parts are indeed intended to correct the Italeri kit as I have bought a set of them with a view to building a C4 from the Italeri C-130J. I would have thought rather than trying to hack them about to fit the Zvezda kit you would be better to use them as intended and wait for aftermarket parts for the new model .

On 26/08/2020 at 19:53, Jeby64 said:

I know this post is a little bit old, but I've got some input for you if you're still interested. The MC kits that are out there are of the legacy bird so youd be better off getting the c-130j offered by italeri. i think there are other brands, but theyre just a rebox of the italeri kit if i understand correctly. depending on how accurate you want to be with it, you will need quite a bit of extras to make it right. some are offered aftermarket, some will need to be scratch built. heres a list of what i bought as a starting point for mine. 

1/72 italeri c-130j

brengun sponsons

brengun flaps

wolfpak decals

flight path refueling pods

brengun engine nacelles 

I'll be building this as a diorama refueling an mh47 over afghanistan. I haven't seen any documented builds, so i will be documenting mine to explain how to get it fairly accurate. feel free to ask questions on here, or i will be documenting the build on insta: Ebys_scale_models

oh yeah, i fly the mc-130j so i think I owe it to the community to do a good job haha

You fly the MC130J? Do you fly it here in the UK? If so I live underneath the flightpath you guys take over York heading up to the Moorlands and regularly see 'STRIX 61' & Co coming over.