1:35 Master Box French Resistance

Vox Repeater

I am apprehensive.....

I wouldn't ever call myself a beginner at model making as even though I haven't done this sort of modelling for 40ish years I am not without practice. The first post in this gives an idea of where I am coming from

However figures is something that I have no experience in at all. 1:76 and 1:87 figures are just too small to even think about doing anything with but getting ready painted ones out of a box and placing (yeah I know there are people who will paint them and even 1:144 scale ones too but...). So I am coming to this completely cold. Obviously the putting the actual figures together is straight forward but its the painting and weathering where it appears the art lies. Anyway here is what I am starting with

49103949458_cb5592cb29.jpgFigures 1 by nomisd2002, on Flickr

Deep breath

• Like 3

I managed to put them together at the weekend

49120758587_e852fcf5d4.jpgFigures 2 by nomisd2002, on Flick

They were built left to right. Overall I am happy with what I ended up with. I am not entirely convinced with how the heads have ended up - it took me a couple of figures to work out how to place the heads in a natural looking way. I am still not convinced but I am satisfied enough. I have since gone back to them and done the small amounts of filling - all of which were needed because  I couldn't get the pose without some small gap appearing.

The only figure I have a problem with is the woman - I think I have made her too tall but I couldn't work out how to get the skirt on without become taller!

Edited by Vox Repeater
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally got round to starting to paint these and I don't know what I worried about!

49182172437_e8f0006559.jpgFigures 2 by nomisd2002, on Flickr

49181964161_1d0e3ec2f9.jpgFigures 3 by nomisd2002, on Flickr

49182172262_4866a9afe5.jpgFigures 4 by nomisd2002, on Flickr

As a first pass I am extremely happy with what I have done. Having never done it before and seeing what experts can produce, I had always thought that painting figures was going to be impossibly fiddly and frustrating. It is anything but. I was only going to start by painting the skin on each figure, which I did. But I then looked at it and thought "Okay, that looks good, lets carry on". Obviously it is the first pass and there is a lot of touching up to do and some details (like belts) need finishing off but I walked away from that thinking I should have started this figure painting lark years ago!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Vox Repeater said:

I should have started this figure painting lark years ago!

Beware, it's highly addictive! :winkgrin: :D

Excellent job so far :clap:

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/12/2019 at 13:40, Vox Repeater said:

Having never done it before and seeing what experts can produce, I had always thought that painting figures was going to be impossibly fiddly and frustrating.

The painting looks very well done and colorful. 👍 Do it like you wish and have fun! All these artificial shadows and highlights that an «experts» did again and again looks boring and repetitive in the end, like all these figures was painted by the one hand.

On 07/12/2019 at 13:40, Vox Repeater said:

Obviously it is the first pass and there is a lot of touching up to do and some details (like belts) need finishing off but I walked away from that thinking I should have started this figure painting lark years ago!

It’s never too late! Looking forward for the future updates here. 😉

• Thanks 1