41 squadron RAF Meteor F.8

JMSmith

Hello JMSmith,

years ago there was an article about 41 Squadron Meteors either in Aeroplane Monthly or in Flypast magazine. If I remember correctly there was a photo of a formation. The article was named "We were Top Dogs" or something similar (at least there were words Top and Dogs). A Meteor F.8 was shown in the cover photo going almost vertically up or down. That aircraft had red and white squadron bars on fuselage and fin and then there was of course the cross of Lorraine.

It is possible that I still have that magazine. I can check that for you.

Cheers,

Antti

• Thanks 1

"We Were The Tops" by Mike Holmes  FlyPast January 2001  Image credited to Gloster Aircraft  The serial of the second Meteor 'Y' is obscured by the tailplane of the one in the foreground (possibly WE957 or WH368?) WA929:W, WA994:X, WH316:Q, WF...?, WE853:Z and WK681:R

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, vampiredave said:

"We Were The Tops" by Mike Holmes  FlyPast January 2001  Image credited to Gloster Aircraft  The serial of the second Meteor 'Y' is obscured by the tailplane of the one in the foreground (possibly WE957 or WH368?) WA929:W, WA994:X, WH316:Q, WF...?, WE853:Z and WK681:R

Are you sure it's WK681?  A-B has no record of this aircraft serving with 41 Sq whereas both A-B and Cold War Shield have WF681 serving with 41.  CWS records it as coded R.

Thank you for confirming the identity of the Meteor furthest from the camera. As anyone who has a copy of this article will undoubtedly agree that the image is quite poor and I had to look at it quite a few times before I considered it to be "WK681". As mentioned several times previously, a much clearer copy will resolve the question for the OP?

• Like 1