Fujimi F-4M Phantom tail part question

Plumbum

I have the Fujimi 1/72 F-4M British Phantom which is the older kit. It does not have the RWR tail and

I was going to scratch build one. I also noticed a small wing below the RWR on the "real deal". I noticed

on my kit two slots blanked out about where that wing would be, also there is a small wing like looking

part, #47, which seems as though it would fit through this slot. Part #47 is not mentioned at all in the

instructions. Am I right in guessing that is wing for the second molding which has the RWR pre molded

to the tail. See images below. Thanks---John

KDypZ4y.jpg

The small wing is the ILS aerial, which was a mod carried out on  RAF Phantoms as they went through Major servicing, as was the RWR mod. Sometimes you do get aircraft that had the RWR mod, but not the ILS aerial one, and visa versa.

• Like 1

The RN aircraft never received the ILS aerials, even when fitted with the RWR. However the FG.1s which transferred from the RN did get them eventually. You also get a/c in grey/green and the overall grey finish with both. Photos of a/c with ILS but without RWR do exist but are rare. On installation the ILS aerials often cut through unit fin markings - which make modelling those a/c tricky in the application of decals!

• Like 1

Thanks but you can't say NOT for your build as I am using after market decals and NOT the kit decals and

I want to do an aircraft with RWR and the ILS antenna. I don't want to do the "plain jane" version. That is why

I was asking. Thanks to all for the information. I now know what they are at least.---John

6 hours ago, 71chally said:

This is a good reference, see comment at the end about the ILS aerials.

71Chally,

Good reference? You've gotta be kidding! Great site- thanks so much for posting it! :clap2:

Mike

The assertion I made about seeing/having a picture of an FGR.2 with ILS but no RWR has been nagging me all day so I have done a quick trawl through a few of my Phantom books, Richard Ward's "Phantom Squadrons" and Peter Foster's "RAF Phantom ". I found examples of 19 in camo and grey with and without, 23 the same with the fin markings cut through and 29 the same.

2 squadron, as far as I can work out, never had a grey a/c but did have camo one(s) with the ILS/RWR fit; they stopped using the Phantom in 1976 and the picture caption states that the RWR/ILS fit started in 1975 but there are pictures of grey a/c dated 1980 without. Seems it wasn't done quickly or at the same time as major overhaul/repaint.

Did I find the, possibly, mythical ILS without RWR machine - no but I'm keeping looking!

37 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

The assertion I made about seeing/having a picture of an FGR.2 with ILS but no RWR has been nagging me all day so I have done a quick trawl through a few of my Phantom books, Richard Ward's "Phantom Squadrons" and Peter Foster's "RAF Phantom ". I found examples of 19 in camo and grey with and without, 23 the same with the fin markings cut through and 29 the same.

2 squadron, as far as I can work out, never had a grey a/c but did have camo one(s) with the ILS/RWR fit; they stopped using the Phantom in 1976 and the picture caption states that the RWR/ILS fit started in 1975 but there are pictures of grey a/c dated 1980 without. Seems it wasn't done quickly or at the same time as major overhaul/repaint.

Did I find the, possibly, mythical ILS without RWR machine - no but I'm keeping looking!

As far as I am aware, the only Phantom to have ILS without PWR was FG.1 XV584, "Foxtrot" of Tremblers from partial upgrade 1981 to Major 1987 :-

Post 38 :-

spacer.png

spacer.png

Other photographs have appeared o BM in the past

HTH

Dennis

• Like 2