1/72 scratch built Hansa-Brandenburg flying boat, KuK Kriegsmarine, spring 1918

Evening All,

This was built as part of the Flying Boats and Floatplanes GB. Construction was from plastic card, strip, rod and wood, and it was rigged with rolled 40SWG copper wire. The markings are from Arctic Decals and were commissioned by me - they are of excellent quality and highly recommended. The base is not finished: I am going to ask for help from members of my modelling club at the weekend to help me to get a better representation of the concrete platform which was at the base on the Adtraitic Sea from which some of these flying boats operated. This machine represents an aircraft in the spring of 1918.

49100142308_c5dc648d1a_c.jpg

49100647186_2d90db352f_c.jpg

The Hansa-Brandenburg was designed by Ernst Heinkel and his team for the German Navy but they showed no interest in it so it was offered instead to the Austro-Hungarian Navy KuK Kriegsmarine) who had issued a specification for a large general purpose flying boat powered by a 350 hp Austro-Daimler engine.

49100646601_67e14fc32a_c.jpg

49100141453_756f217908_c.jpg

The navy ordered 60 machines in late 1916, the first of which was delivered in March 1917. Following the crash of the first example, delivery was delayed such that delivery of the the following 15 aircraft was not completed until March 1918. A shortage of engines meant that although most of the airframes were delivered in 1917-1918, many of the 134 manufactured were placed in storage and not used operationally.

49100844952_88936c239c_c.jpg

49100646761_e91ed14273_c.jpg

The first W13 to see action was K366 in August 1917 and this machine was used on subsequent bombing operations until it was shot down in October 1917.

49100142228_284a9b1f9f_c.jpg

49100141713_64a97d54aa_c.jpg[

Other machines were used in the bombing and reconnaissance over the Adriatic Sea. Durazzo (an Italian port) was bombed successfully in     June 1918, and later in the closing months of the war they were deployed against land targets in Bulgaria.

49100844887_1e71b0a2c1_c.jpg

49100647071_4be7e80eea_c.jpg

One machine (K405) was taken by the Americans as war reparation in 1919 and shipped to the USA where it was stripped down and rebuilt. It was thoroughly tested before being scrapped in 1922.

49100141393_daab01c57c_c.jpg

49100844662_c46de47e2d_c.jpg

49100141533_19e2219ce1_c.jpg

Thanks for looking.

P

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

I admire your scratchbuilding talents, sir.  I don't have enough time to pursue modeling them but I love the look (and obscurity) of Great War floatplanes.

The turntable and rails are an appropriate touch for the display.

Have you checked for a satellite image of the Adriatic concrete platform?  There's a surprising amount of century-old concrete still visible from space, you might get lucky if you know precisely where to look.  I've used this trick to get appropriate details for display bases-- local soil and vegetation colours, approximate expansion gap spacing on concrete aprons, etc.  Even if a certain aerodrome is no longer extant you can get an idea of the right shade of dirt for undercarriage weathering, for example.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

I admire your scratchbuilding talents, sir.  I don't have enough time to pursue modeling them but I love the look (and obscurity) of Great War floatplanes.

The turntable and rails are an appropriate touch for the display.

Have you checked for a satellite image of the Adriatic concrete platform?  There's a surprising amount of century-old concrete still visible from space, you might get lucky if you know precisely where to look.  I've used this trick to get appropriate details for display bases-- local soil and vegetation colours, approximate expansion gap spacing on concrete aprons, etc.  Even if a certain aerodrome is no longer extant you can get an idea of the right shade of dirt for undercarriage weathering, for example.

Thanks for the tip Jackson: I had not thought of that. I do not know precisely which base this aircraft flew from, but many of them had concrete platforms and I think that they would all have looked much the same. I will certainly give your idea a try.

P

1 hour ago, pheonix said:

I do not know precisely which base this aircraft flew from, but many of them had concrete platforms and I think that they would all have looked much the same. I will certainly give your idea a try.

I certainly hope it helps, if not for this build maybe sometime in the future.  Again, that's a really lovely model, and scratchbuilt!  😎

• Thanks 1