Cleaning plastic parts

Tiger

Hi with me being new to plastic kit modelling, I need some advice before I start my first build.

Do I need to wash all the parts before I start fixing them together, also will this help when it comes to painting.

Not necessary before assembling but it is worth cleaning the plastic before painting as paint will show up imperfections. I mainly do planes and always clean the fuselage, wings etc before starting to paint. I don't clean cockpit interiors but I do try to get rid of any dust.

Mark

• Like 1

You could soak the parts in water with dishwashing liquid before you start. I do this if the plastic doesn't feel clean. Make sure to give the parts a good rinse to remove any soap residues.

As @MarkH206 noted, cleaning before painting is a Good Thing(TM). I use 91% isopropyl alcohol with cotton makeup remover pads and cotton buds to give parts a thorough cleaning just before painting. I wash my hands before handling my models while they're being built, especially once paint has been applied.

14 hours ago, Kurt Knispel said:

Do I need to wash all the parts before I start fixing them together, also will this help when it comes to painting.

This crops up every few months. Apparently the possibility of mould release on your kit is vanishingly small. I have never washed the plastic of any kit, at any point in the build and it has made absolutely no difference to the paint. It really isn't necessary.

I tried to find the post from someone who used to work in the industry, where he explained this stuff, but I can't find it at the mo.

One thing I should have said: If you have particularly oily skin, then it may be advisable to clean after the build and just before the paint goes on.

Edited by Gorby
additional stuff
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gorby said:

It really isn't necessary.

Sorry Gorby but I have to take issue with that. The build process will leave dust and general muck around the model. I would encourage anyone new to the hobby, like  @Kurt Knispel, to clean that off before painting.

I'd also add my vote for using isopropanol alcohol for that wipe down.

Mark 

PS I've never used gloves though and again, for someone new, I wouldn't.

Edited by MarkH206
mention gloves

8 minutes ago, MarkH206 said:

Sorry Gorby but I have to take issue with that. The build process will leave dust and general muck around the model. I would encourage anyone new to the hobby, like  @Kurt Knispel, to clean that off before painting.

I'd also add my vote for using isopropanol alcohol for that wipe down.

Obviously if there is visible debris, it needs to be wiped off, but why would you need to use alcohol to wipe dust off? I'm not a fast builder and therefore have had models on my desk for months on end without being covered and have only ever needed to use a soft brush.

Some modellers seem to like washing their models, but as I said, I've never done it and never had a problem as a result. When this question has cropped up before, many others have said the same thing – therefore it isn't as essential as some people would suggest.

It probably isn't necessary, but I always give the sprues a wash with dishwashing liquid before doing anything - it's become habit. Basically I do this the night before I plan to start the build so the sprues drip dry overnight.

Actually, I don't know how necessary this is really, but I got in a bit of a mess one time due to some residue and it was such a hassle sorting it out, I decided I'd never let that happen again - so its just part of my routine.

Additionally, a wipe down with IPA before painting the assembled model is always worthwhile - chances are there is finger grease there. I do wonder how often complaints of paint lifting after masking are a result of skipping this step?

Bottom line for me - pre-washing the kit isn't going to cause any harm, and it might just avoid an issue. 

Cheers,

Colin

6 hours ago, Gorby said:

This crops up every few months. Apparently the possibility of mould release on your kit is vanishingly small. I have never washed the plastic of any kit, at any point in the build and it has made absolutely no difference to the paint. It really isn't necessary.

I tried to find the post from someone who used to work in the industry, where he explained this stuff, but I can't find it at the mo.

One thing I should have said: If you have particularly oily skin, then it may be advisable to clean after the build and just before the paint goes on.

I agree with Gorby………..after 40 plus years of modelling I too no longer wash or clean the parts(not even resin, I model 1/24 KFS and accurate Armour, never had a problem yet,  Just finished the 1/24 Stawart……….never washed it and its fine)  The only time I wash a model is if I do a lot of conversion work with a saw, or dremell(no - I don't wear a mask either)  if the kit requires filling big parts I use super glue and talculm powder, then I do wash) but for a general build I rarely wash the model unless I am forced to.

Its a mater of personel preference...………...As mold technology has moved on from the old days, sprues have become more friendly, so find no reason to wash the kit

• Like 1