Hawker Hunter F.Mk.9 and some bombs

Solo

I am making Hawker Hunter from italeri/Academy 1:48. My plan is to paint her as RAF or Jordanian Air Forces plane, but I know nothing about ordnance of such aircrafts.
There are few bombs in the box (with no information about it), but I wish to hook up those resin bombs from ResKit, and my only question is: is it good to use those bombs?
Anyone can help?

DwTmK9P.jpg

OpwBYjX.jpg

On 11/21/2019 at 8:15 PM, Solo said:

I am making Hawker Hunter from italeri/Academy 1:48. My plan is to paint her as RAF or Jordanian Air Forces plane, but I know nothing about ordnance of such aircrafts.
There are few bombs in the box (with no information about it), but I wish to hook up those resin bombs from ResKit, and my only question is: is it good to use those bombs?
Anyone can help?

DwTmK9P.jpg

OpwBYjX.jpg

The bombs  in the kit are useless,, wrong shape and grossly overscale.

Use the 114 tail bombs above. The tail used mainly on hunter 1000 lb bombs in the 1960's was the 107 , but this was externally almost the same as the 114 so  no problems in this scale.

Selwyn

• Like 1

I'm being lazy here but I don't think I've seen a photo of an RAF FGA9 carrying 1000lb bombs.  They usually seem to be armed with unguided rockets or rocket pods.  Can anybody point me to one, please?

David

9 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Use the 114 tail bombs above. The tail used mainly on hunter 1000 lb bombs in the 1960's was the 107 , but this was externally almost the same as the 114 so  no problems in this scale.

Thanks a lot for your help.
By the way, do you know any picture of such real bombs? Or maybe you know official name of those ordnance?

11 hours ago, Solo said:

Thanks a lot for your help.
By the way, do you know any picture of such real bombs? Or maybe you know official name of those ordnance?

Yes they are officially called Bomb, HE, Aircraft, MC, 1000lb,  used by the RAF  from  1950 on.  Marks 6-20 used at various times (all of which externally look the same except the Mk7 and the version used on Tornado that had  a 50mm wide  adaptor ring between the bomb and tail and could have a proximity sensor fitted on the nose which changed the nose profile ). lots of pictures of RAF jets carrying the bomb on the net from  the V bomber to Typhoon. 

Selwyn

On 25/11/2019 at 11:30, David Womby said:

The only pic I can find of an RAF Hunter with a 1000lb bomb is here:

http://aviadejavu.ru/Site/Arts/Art5801.htm 

and it is of an F4!  

Anybody got pointers to any other RAF Hunters carrying bombs, please?

David

Almost - but not quite. !! :- 

spacer.png

Like you David, I have never seen a photo of an RAF Hunter carrying 1000lb bombs, in fact I cannot recall ever seeing a Hunter in service with such a load,  Rockets and SNEB yes, but bombs - no.

Dennis

• Like 1

Thanks, Dennis.  Yes it is close but......

I am beginning to think they could carry but never used them.  The F4 photo I pointed to above seems an odd load for it to carry and the pic is too close to the aircraft to see any markings or context.

David

1 hour ago, Solo said:

Thank a lot guys.
One more thing: are those bombs the same like those ones for Hunter?

Untitled-1.jpg

2phnfau.jpg

The short answer is yes!

Selwyn

(As an aside,  and not really  part of the Hunter question , the lug configuration is totally wrong. on these bombs.  for a  Vulcan which had single central point suspension  the bombs on the floor should have the centre lifting lug removed and only a single centre lug fitted . To be  be correct for a twin suspension carriage the centre lifting lug should not be fitted,)

Edited by Selwyn

20 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Did Hunters use bombs in the Torrey Canyon strikes?

from wiki

In an effort to reduce the size of the oil spill, the British government decided to set the wreck on fire, by means of air strikes from the Fleet Air Arm (FAA) and Royal Air Force (RAF). On 28 March 1967, FAA Blackburn Buccaneers from RNAS Lossiemouth dropped 1,000-pound bombs on the ship. Afterwards RAF Hawker Hunter from RAF Chivenor dropped cans of jet fuel (kerosene), to fuel the blaze.[3] However, the fire was put out by high tides,[clarification needed] and further strikes were needed to re-ignite the oil, by FAA de Havilland Sea Vixens from RNAS Yeovilton and Buccaneers from the RNAS Brawdy, as well as Hunters of No 1(F) Squadron RAF from RAF West Raynham with napalm. Bombing continued into the next day, until Torrey Canyon finally sank.[4] A total of 161 bombs, 16 rockets, 1,500 long tons (1,500 t) of napalm and 44,500 litres (9,800 imp gal) of kerosene were used.[1]

Not RAF, but a Singapore Air Force Hunter F74S with a pair of 1,000-lb MC Mk.11 bombs on the centreline station photographed in 1975.

The F74S is an upgraded FGA.74B fitted with a pair of Sidewinder pylons and a centreline hardpoint.

539_AIM9_cropped_1

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Unless 20 Squadron used them in the Far East, and as far as I know they didn’t, RAF Hunters never used bombs in operational service. The four cannon and unguided rockets were sufficient for the theatres they operated in.

• Like 1