Legendary Blackbird - Part 0: Genesis... (3D Printing)

43 minutes ago, neil5208 said:

Nothing wrong with perfection

yes indeed. For this reason none of my ongoing projects has not been fully completed yet!.. ๐Ÿ˜ž

I have to find a balance between perfectionism and acceptable level of build quality ๐Ÿ™‚

ย 

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 3

Some further improvements before printing the forward fuselage:

ย 

The in flight refueling receptacle was added to model (yes I know that M-21 has no triangle panels at chine along nose to wing root but I needed a fourth image to fill the missing frameย ๐Ÿ™‚ย )

1961.jpg

1948.jpg

1949.jpg

ย 

Next step is to create STL files and 3D printing data...

ย 

Serkan

• Like 13

23 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

The parts are ready to review: I have three nose parts one without panel lines, one with 0.10mm radiusย and one with 0.15mm radius circular slot profile:

1956.jpg

1954.jpg

1955.jpg

ย 

In overall both 0.10mm 0.15mm radius lookย quite nice but I am not sure what will be left after light sanding...

ย 

Serkan

ย 

Hi Serkan, Just WAOUW ! Serkan; when you print, can you choose your scale for ex : 72 , 144 , โ€ฆ ? And, possible to create a 3D file with a 3-view aircraft image ?ย 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Neffan said:

Hi Serkan, Just WAOUW ! Serkan; when you print, can you choose your scale for ex : 72 , 144 , โ€ฆ ? And, possible to create a 3D file with a 3-view aircraft image ?ย 

In terms of 3D model yes, simply by scaling up or down by 50%. But The smaller scale results in the thinner surface and tinier details which may not allow to print every part properly. Therefore the level of details and the part thickness should be considered one scale to another.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

yes indeed. For this reason none of my ongoing projects has not been fully completed yet!.. ๐Ÿ˜ž

I have to find a balance between perfectionism and acceptable level of build quality ๐Ÿ™‚

ย 

I have noticed that I forgot to correct front windshield frame thickness and fillets that can be clearly seen in above A-12B drawing ๐Ÿ˜ž

Should I live withย it or fix it?

ย 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, David H said:

I'm amazed the printer could do the pitot boom.

In my first print attempt I tried to print withย exact shape in 1/72 scaleย without a success (you can see the result in one of the previous posts in this topic). Then I increased the thickness by 50% to 100% depending on the local dimensions and the result is really good as you pointed.

Serkan

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Maybe I should try to apply rectangular profile to make the slot deeper (eg 0.2mm) without increasing the breadth (eg 0.1mm). But it is a bit tricky and requires additional effort for each panel line.

As for me, the rectangular panel lines looks not so aesthetic. The ones that youโ€™re showing us on the right test picture are the best!ย ๐Ÿ‘

ย 

6 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

But it is a bit tricky and requires additional effort for each panel line.

Donโ€™t fix the things that donโ€™t need to be fixed. I experienced thisย problem with the music, and I can say the same about me:

5 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

I think my problem is that I am a bit perfectionist and I am spending al lot of time for details more than necessary. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Donโ€™t fix the things that donโ€™t need to be fixed. I experienced thisย problem with the music, and I can say the same about me:

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one ๐Ÿ™‚

ย 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Serkan Sen said:

I have noticed that I forgot to correct front windshield frame thickness and fillets that can be clearly seen in above A-12B drawing ๐Ÿ˜ž

Should I live withย it or fix it?

I think youโ€™re fix it soon...ย ๐Ÿ˜‰ย Itโ€™s better to do it now and have the best Black Bird replica sooner or later. As youโ€™re theย perfectionist, youโ€™ll understand me well.

ย 

Superb job on the drawings, Serkan!ย ๐Ÿ‘

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

I think youโ€™re fix it soon...ย ๐Ÿ˜‰ย Itโ€™s better to do it now and have the best Black Bird replica sooner or later. As youโ€™re theย perfectionist, youโ€™ll understand me well.

ย 

Superb job on the drawings, Serkan!ย ๐Ÿ‘

Thanks Nikolay. Fixing the frame is not a big issue. This can be done in few minutes.

I am currently worrying about how to produceย clear parts of canopies and windshields.ย 

Serkan

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

I am currently worrying about how to produceย clear parts of canopies and windshields.

If youโ€™re already having them within the CAD, just wait some time and use the mojo to create another parts. Maybe youโ€™ll find the solution. As Iโ€™ve never did the vacuum-formedย parts, I can imagine that youโ€™re can print the resin canopy and use it as the guide for creating the subsequent clear parts.ย ๐Ÿคฏ

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The 3D print code for all modified parts is now ready:

1950.jpg

1951.jpg

1953.jpg

1952.jpg

ย 

Note the little navigation lights located on both sides of chine in triangular panel as well as IFRR detail. I hope the print result will worth all these efforts...ย ๐Ÿ™‚

I am sure that I missed some little antennas and probes located underside. But these can be added anytime later. (I need to find some reference images about their size and positions)

ย 

Serkan

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Serkan Sen said:

Note the little navigation lights located on both sides of chine in triangular panel as well as IFRR detail. I hope the print result will worth all these efforts...ย ๐Ÿ™‚

These things already looks great!ย ๐Ÿคค

ย 

2 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

But these can be added anytime later.

Have you ever been made a PE parts?!ย ๐Ÿ˜นย Iโ€™m sure you can do it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/12/2021 at 3:37 PM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

If youโ€™re already having them within the CAD, just wait some time and use the mojo to create another parts. Maybe youโ€™ll find the solution. As Iโ€™ve never did the vacuum-formedย parts, I can imagine that youโ€™re can print the resin canopy and use it as the guide for creating the subsequent clear parts.ย ๐Ÿคฏ

I have an idea how to deal with glas parts. I have created two set of canopies:

1. The windows are integrated to canopy frame (as I printed till now)
  2. The windows and canopy frames modeled separately. All I have to polishย these tiny window parts with 0,3mm to 0.4mm thickness ๐Ÿ™‚

1962.jpg

ย 

I hope this will work... Note that the above image was magnified approximately 400% ๐Ÿค“

ย 

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 11

4 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Have you ever been made a PE parts?!ย ๐Ÿ˜นย Iโ€™m sure you can do it!

I have enough hazardous liquids in my basement. I think I won't experiment PE in near future...ย โ˜ฃ๏ธ

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

The windows and canopy frames modeled separately. All I have to poilsh will be these tiny window parts with 0,3mm to 0.4mm thickness...

Or just cut the clear plastic sheet with the help of the desktop cutting machine?ย ๐Ÿ˜‰

ย 

6 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

I hope this will work...

Itโ€™ll be interesting!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Or just cut the clear plastic sheet with the help of the desktop cutting machine?ย ๐Ÿ˜‰

I thought about this option as well. This can be an option for M-21 rear canopy but the front canopy and A-12B rear canopy have highly curved windows.

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

The parts were printed last weekend:

2050.jpg

ย 

and coated with Alclad black primer:

2051.jpg

2056.jpg

ย 

Next step will be to sandย off the primer and check the panel line quality...

ย 

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 17

After an hour the black primer was lightly sanded down with 1000 grit paper:

2057.jpg

2058.jpg

2059.jpg

ย 

Besides the little scratches which can be easily fixed with liquid filler, the wood structures like textures at lower and upper surfaces are due to pixellation effect of 3D printing on xy plane (0.05x0.05mm) and z direction (0.01-0.05mm) which can be better seen in below giant lego B747 ๐Ÿ˜„ย :

68736973_2344001252320965_28335380714781

ย 

Serkan

ย 

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 15

11 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

The parts were printed last weekend:

2050.jpg

ย 

and coated with Alclad black primer:

2051.jpg

2056.jpg

ย 

Next step will be to sandย off the primer and check the panel line quality...

ย 

Serkan

Superbย these 3D parts ! ๐Ÿ˜‰ย Serkan,ย how long to create a 3d fileย  ? Possible to create 3 D fIle with 2D file ( 3 Views of Airplanes ) ?ย ย ย 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, billn53 said:

Looking good! Itโ€™s always good seeing progress being made.ย 

Thanks Bill. Although the progress is a bit slow the result is very impressive... I should have started this 3D printing project before my A-12 and M-21 builds for which I spent considerable time to modify Italeri nose and canopy parts...ย ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Like 5