Legendary Blackbird - Part 0: Genesis... (3D Printing)

On 12/26/2020 at 7:59 AM, neil5208 said:

I'm interested in the hardness of the cured resin, would it be able to scribe panel lines into?

Here is the panel line I added for QBay upper hatch:

1546.jpg

The groove has a circular profile with 0.1mm radius:

1903.jpg

I have marked the printed panel line with permanent marker and lightly sanded with 600 grit paper. Here is the result:

1904.jpg

It seems that the method works. Maybe I should make the panel line a bit deeper and wider (0.2mm radius?)

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 11

22 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

The print has been completed. Here are the fresh parts:

Looks like the glazed candies! 😋 I think you’re very proud bringing this project to life, Serkan! 👍

5 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

As I promised (remember my A-12 Oxcart build) you and Nikolay will get a complete set when all parts are completed.

Ah! ☺️ Thank you Serkan, it would be nice to seem these parts! But I used the resin parts only once (it was an aftermarket wheels set)... 😬

It’s something wonderful happening here, excellent work so far!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

I used the resin parts only once (it was an aftermarket wheels set)...

It is not difficult to use the resin parts (at least what I make 🙂 ). The only difficulty is to use cyano to glue resin to plastic... 😄

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Hornet said:

Amazing results. The panel lines also looks fine, maybe a bit deeper...

5 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

You can try some variations on one part to save the printing time - all in one. 😉

Yes I will try different groove profiles and depths on a test part.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Now the time has come to see if the printed parts fit the Italeri/Testors Blackbird...

After launching A-12 and M-21 builds I have still two Italeri kits (YF-12 and SR-71) in my stash. For fit check I have selected YF-12 kit (which I have already used in A-12 and M-21 builds tail cone cloning process). I am really positively shocked when I saw how the forward fuselage fits to Italeri kit:

1871.jpg

1872.jpg

1873.jpg

You may ask (and I am asking myself too) for which purpose the mid fuselage part was printed... The answer is I don't know... 🤔

The engine and exhaust fit test will follow...

Serkan

• Like 13

7 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

At the beginning was not. But now I see that there is a potential of selling the parts to finance my other fancy future projects (like RF-8 Crusader, TF-102 etc...) 😁

But I will first complete Blackbird family by adding YF-12 and SR-71 variants including different nose options...

Serkan

Well. put me down for enough parts to complete a 1/72 A-12, YF-12, and SR-71!

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

Now the time has come to see if the printed parts fit the Italeri/Testors Blackbird...

After launching A-12 and M-21 builds I have still two Italeri kits (YF-12 and SR-71) in my stash. For fit check I have selected YF-12 kit (which I have already used in A-12 and M-21 builds tail cone cloning process). I am really positively shocked when I saw how the forward fuselage fits to Italeri kit:

1871.jpg

1872.jpg

1873.jpg

You may ask (and I am asking myself too) for which purpose the mid fuselage part was printed... The answer is I don't know... 🤔

The engine and exhaust fit test will follow...

Serkan

Very impressive fit you have there Serkan, better than a lot of resin upgrade set I have used. Looking forward to the engine fit test. I remember you doing the A12 tail mod by hand before, are you planning to print this part as well?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, neil5208 said:

Very impressive fit you have there Serkan, better than a lot of resin upgrade set I have used. Looking forward to the engine fit test. I remember you doing the A12 tail mod by hand before, are you planning to print this part as well?

Thanks Neil.

No currently I am not planning to print tail cone halves. I did molds already based on YF-12 kit and they fit very well as replacement:

1359.jpg

1366.jpg

1368.jpg

Serkan

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, CedB said:

Nice work Serkan, impressive stuff :) 

Thanks Ced,

All these Blackbird projects I launched are because of you..

I was very happy and busy with my Flanker and Viper builds till I saw your M-21 build... 😁

I am also very happy with my all Blackbird builds and learned a lot about mold making, casting and 3D printing but many of other fellows are complaining about suspended Flanker projects...

Serkan

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Now some pics with exhaust and spike parts:

1910.jpg

1911.jpg

Close view to check how resin part fits the kit:

1912.jpg

The lower surface is currently open as the kit lower surface is single part including nose wheel bay. Also note that the wheel bay slot has not been added to resin part yet:

1913.jpg

As the kit internal supports were not removed from kit plastic, currently it is not possible to make inlet assembly fit test. But I attached the spike using modelling clay:

1914.jpg

Serkan

• Like 9

Some close views of nozzle and exhaust parts including casted resin aft cone:

1915.jpg

The nozzle assembly fits perfect to kit:

1916.jpg

1917.jpg

1905.jpg

1906.jpg

The internal details of nozzle, exhaust feathers and tertiary doors look very realistic compared to kit parts.

Serkan

• Like 11