Legendary Blackbird - Part 0: Genesis... (3D Printing)

Your progress and skill at 3D printing are coming along nicely Serkan. It took ,me a while to figure out how narrow  or small I could make  my parts.. Excellent work! And A happy Holidays to you and Yours.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

These printed parts looks amazing, Serkan! 😋 I'm sure that the other (future) parts will be great, too. Looking forward for the next stages.

Thanks Nikolay, the intake assembly is really complex but the result is as you said amazing. I will add some pictures today.

Serkan

• Like 3

The 3D intake assembly from CAD model:

1282.jpg

And full assembly including spike and stator/rotor:

1291.jpg

The stl files for each parts imported to printer software chitubox:

1851.jpg

1848.jpg

And alternative design for inlet mouth:

1852.jpg

The test print is ready for clean up and cure process:

1857.jpg

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 13

The parts were rinsed with IPA and cured under UV light:

1858.jpg

Starboard intake parts were removed from their printing base and assembled together:

1859.jpg

1860.jpg

The result is awesome even in the first print... The parts fits tight enough and doesn't require any glue (at least for during fit test).

I am really convinced with the quality of 3D printing and as next step I will print whole forward fuselage...

That's all for now. I wish all of you and yours marry Christmas.

Serkan

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Starboard intake parts were removed from their printing base and assembled together:

Nice fit! 🤩

The result is awesome even in the first print... The parts fits tight enough and doesn't require any glue (at least for during fit test).

And an ultimate detailing, as I said before. The surface looks smooth and much better than on the most modern resin kits.

I am really convinced with the quality of 3D printing and as next step I will print whole forward fuselage...

Is there any option to strengthen the fuselage with a metal rods, or the printed parts is strong enough?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Is there any option to strengthen the fuselage with a metal rods, or the printed parts is strong enough?

Thanks Nikolay,.

It is possible to add stringers either in CAD model or during chitubox tool process. In chitubox you can add manually circular cross sectional rods perpendicular to z axis.

But the most elegant and controllable way is to add stringers/frames in CAD model.

Till now I haven't experienced an issue with the wall thickness of >1mm upto 10-12cm long closed parts with SLA resin. It is stiff enough to prevent any bending but also very brittle under excessive loading. I have seen that there is an additive resin that makes SLA resin flexible even elastic depending on mixture ratio but haven't tried it yet. The people are complaining about its heavy smell... 😷

Serkan

• Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

It is possible to add stringers either in CAD model or during chitubox tool process. In chitubox you can add manually circular cross sectional rods perpendicular to z axis.

That’s right, and I didn’t think about it.

7 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

Till now I haven't experienced an issue with the wall thickness of >1mm upto 10-12cm long closed parts with SLA resin. It is stiff enough to prevent any bending but also very brittle under excessive loading.

It’s a great that you’re able printing the parts and having fun instead of thinking about how to get them strong.

11 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

I have seen that there is an additive resin that makes SLA resin flexible even elastic depending on mixture ratio but haven't tried it yet. The people are complaining about its heavy smell... 😷

It’s interesting... As for the smell: I can imagine that resin can lose its flexibility after volatilisation of some components, as it sometimes happens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/24/2020 at 9:31 PM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

It’s interesting... As for the smell: I can imagine that resin can lose its flexibility after volatilisation of some components, as it sometimes happens.

There is a new generation (eco) SLA resin with low level odour (not completely odorless) based on soja oil and with tap water washable (instead IPA which is an additional nasty source of smell if you don't like alcohol 😁). I bought a bottle of it but not tried yet.

With PU casting resin I have no nasty smell issue at all.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Brilliantly done Sir! My complaints. You are an engineer of great patience and ability! 

Many thanks for your kind words. Several times I was on the edge of keep continue or give up decision. (Fortunately) I choose to continue...

Serkan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

The 3D intake assembly from CAD model:

1282.jpg

And full assembly including spike and stator/rotor:

1291.jpg

The stl files for each parts imported to printer software chitubox:

1851.jpg

1848.jpg

And alternative design for inlet mouth:

1852.jpg

The test print is ready for clean up and cure process:

1857.jpg

Serkan

How much modification of the base kit will be needed to fit or are you planning to print the whole thing and can you print the clear parts or will you mould with clear resin?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, neil5208 said:

1. How much modification of the base kit will be needed to fit

2. Are you planning to print the whole thing

3. can you print the clear parts

4.will you mould with clear resin?

1. I didn't intend to produce replacement parts for the existing kits (Italeri/Testors or Revell/Monogram). But I can make some fit tests for both.

2. It would be very challenging to print entire aircraft but why not especially in 1:32 scale 😁

3. There is also clear resin and I can give it try but definetely it won't be water clear. Also due to SLA technology the parts are printed layer by layer. Elegoo claims that up to 0.01mm the layer thickness can be reduced to improve surface quality but there will be always steps on the printed surface. That means after fine printing the fine sanding and polishing is necessary.

4. Once I can get the canopy parts polished I can duplicate them using silicon mold and epoxy clear resin as I did in my A-12, Su-27KIB and Su-27IB projects.

Serkan

1174.jpg

1502.jpg

• Like 5

Serkan — This is really amazing work, especially now that I’m seeing it in the flesh. You’ve certainly been busy, and your efforts are being rewarded. I can’t wait to see what you do next!
Happy Christmas and may you and your have a very good 2021.

- Bill

• Thanks 1