Legendary Blackbird - Part 0: Genesis... (3D Printing)

Here is my first post in 2024 😃

I have seen that the nose landing gear strut hydraulic routing were missing:

2367.jpg

After a few hours work the model looks much better:

3681.jpg

Next step is to model YF-12A missile bay doors (yes, I promise, I will keep my word this time 😄 )

Serkan

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 30/12/2023 at 20:00, Pajarito said:

Hi my father,

I'm afraid I'm WAY too far up in the process of bettering the Italeri kit, that I'm really itching to finish it. If only I knew how much I need to add in order to correct the height in the Revell fuselage, I'd go out of my way to fix it (as I did with the forward fuselage in the original kit once an Italian modeller pointed me in the right direction aeons ago).

Judging by Serkan's graphics posted above, it looks as though it were a matter of adding two to three milimetres, but dunno whether the height ought to be kept constant or if it decreases towards the back of the fuselage, as there's no reference of exactly where the transversal cut in the fuselage Serkan has taken into consideration for the comparison.

That Italeri Sled kit has had a lot of attention from me so as to finish it as is now, and precisely, the point of these new revelations helped me confirm the evident doubts I had with regard to how off the kit looks in certain areas. Any aspects I've caught on Serkan's posts, I tried to replicate 'em on my build; it's what I like about modelling forums. Like when I spotted the subtle detail on the tips on his 3D-print outer wings, for instance.

Even if I got Jeffrey or Serkan's kits, I'd still wish to finish this one all the same.

I'd really appreciate your sending me the link to your build.

Cheers,

Igna 

Hi Igna

Fully appreciate your diligence and respect your perseverance with your build. I’m not sure how you might increase the height of the fuselage on the Italeri kit - it will be quite a task😁

I’ve attached a link to my own build, of which I have a plan to marry the fuselages, although I’m not quite at that stage yet - hope this might help though 

On 1/1/2024 at 7:03 PM, The Podfather said:

I’m not sure how you might increase the height of the fuselage on the Italeri kit - it will be quite a task😁

Hi my father! How are you doing?

Yes, it's not only a matter of freely adding the necessary height to the fuselage of the Italeri Sled kit, bceause that will also affect the height on the whole airframe.

spacer.png

The way I figure it, if I add two to three millimetres in height to the mid fuselage area, the cockpit area is going to be even higher (especially, the zone where it slopes up towards the front canopy). :hmmm:This difference in height in the cockpit area will affect everything inside it.

Also, I'm afraid that the height of the bulkhead ahead of the windshield might increase as well. 

I just went measuring the height on both the Revell and Italeri 1/48 Sled kits and compared 'em to Serkan's graphics above. It's just I don't know how that diameter is with regard to the diameter of the forward bulkhead you are able to see in the picture I posted.

And the chines will also be affected by the new height. But I still can tell that the Revell kit is lacking height on its fuselage.

Will go check your link now, which I highly appreciate it.

Cheers,

Igna

Edit: The Revell kit forward fuselage width is 8.1 centimetres so, by Serkan's graphics, that makes the necessary additions in height to be 1mm on the upper fuselage half, and another 1mm on the lower half, then work out the shape of the chines.

I've sort of figured out the way to possibly do it on the upper fuselage half.

Will see if it's doable/how to do it on the lower half.

Edited by Pajarito
Add new info
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Last weekend I have worked on YF-12A missile bays doors. Most of the work was to correct the lower surface curvature at NLG bay area. After two days effort the shape looks now much better. Here are the real aircraft and new model bay views: 

be6ee90c20773385dbc99f7c9eb3cde96cef68b7

3683.jpg

The door actuators are still missing but they can be added later very easily.

Serkan

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

Utterly mesmerising. I don't know how you find the time to put this astonishing level of effort into researching, drawing, modelling, printing and assembling all of these separate aircraft. When you decide to start selling complete 1/72 kits I'll be in the queue waiting to buy one.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/14/2024 at 11:30 AM, Alan P said:

How is this build going, @Serkan Sen? Hope all is well with you.

Thanks for asking @Alan P. I am well but due to many reasons (private, health and professional)  I had to make a little break. Now I am back to make progress in my builds. During this break I have bought two new 3d Elegoo printers; Mars 4 Ultra and Saturn 3 Ultra. Unfortunately they are still unboxed and waiting for home heating system replacement which is planned for next week. After then I will rearrange this area and deploy the printers.

I have received many questions about the availability of closed nozzle feathers option during this build. I have recently updated the nozzle model to cover both options:

3688.jpg

Also I have added opened engine bay details on outer wing half. I will finish this task and post the images soon.

Serkan

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2024 at 9:19 PM, PeteH1969 said:

When will the 32nd version be ready?

It's design art MMMM

Pete

I bought Saturn 3 Ultra to be able to print the parts in 1/32 scale ☺️ (Mars series doesn't have enough volume to print such big fuselage parts)

I will do some test prints hopefully in May.

Serkan

• Like 1

Hi Serkan

Good to see you back and making some progress again😁, and you you are well. The nozzles looking excellent as ever. I've just finished fitting some photoetch ones to mine (saving your 3D printed ones for the next build)

I'd be interested in your opinion on the new Elegoo printers - I've been thinking recently whether to dip a toe into the dark world of 3D printing myself.

• Thanks 1

- What a tremendous job,! I have to say that it is very difficult for me to understand something of the computerised process, but nevertheless this work must ne very rewarding once finished.........

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, The Podfather said:

I'd be interested in your opinion on the new Elegoo printers - I've been thinking recently whether to dip a toe into the dark world of 3D printing myself.

Actually I was very happy with Mars3 Pro but only reason having a new Mars 4 Ultra was having a higher resolution (18 micron instead of 35 micron).  I can strongly recommend Mars 4 (preferably Ultra) if you don't need larger print volume, otherwise Saturn 3 Ultra. There is no much difference in price but occupied size. The new Saturn 4 Ultra has been announced recently, but personally I wouldn't go with this because it has a new tilting vat mechanism that increases the risk of potential mechanical failure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last few weeks I was working on engine bay inner details. Unfortunately there is no enough detailed photos which is showing some specific areas but I have found two photos which are showing both inner wing side (fixed half) and outer wing half (movable part) details relatively good. I have started with the outer wing side. The engine bay split requires the split of nozzle assembly models. Here are the images of evolution of outer wing half detailing (from left top to right bottom):

3689.jpg

3690.jpg

Adding all these frame and stringers required the updating the outer panel line positions which improved the outer view as well. I must admit that the new outer wing model looks very beautiful than before. But printing this part will be very challenging. We will see weather it can be achievable or not very soon.

Serkan

• Like 4

On 17/04/2024 at 11:41, Serkan Sen said:

Actually I was very happy with Mars3 Pro but only reason having a new Mars 4 Ultra was having a higher resolution (18 micron instead of 35 micron).  I can strongly recommend Mars 4 (preferably Ultra) if you don't need larger print volume, otherwise Saturn 3 Ultra. There is no much difference in price but occupied size. The new Saturn 4 Ultra has been announced recently, but personally I wouldn't go with this because it has a new tilting vat mechanism that increases the risk of potential mechanical failure.

Thanks Serkan - good to hear the opinion of someone that clearly has a lot of experience with these machines 👍

• 4 weeks later...

Finally two weeks ago the old heating system was replaced with the new high-tec one. Here are few pictures of the replacement process:

3712.jpg

3713.jpg

The new system is not only much more efficient but also significantly compact which lets more space for my 3D printing equipment. I got a 110x60 cm countertop from local DIY store and I used two idle drawers left from kitchen renovation to create a new work area (Mars 4 Ultra is still unboxed):

3714.jpg

To test the performance of new Saturn 3 Ultra "heavy weight" printer I submitted the Oxcart parts in 1:48 scale:

3715.jpg

The new Ultra series have many improvements compared to standard ones such as Linux operating system, full metal case, WiFi connection and large display with glass surface. The new high resolution display shows all settings defined in slicing software and let the user to change most of them in printer without editing in slicer:

3716.jpg

What I learnt from this test print is: " when a large print job is submitted to printer, check the amount of resin in the vat to ensure that there is still enough resin in it".

3706.jpg

I refilled the vat during the print job but it was too late to recover it.

3707.jpg

But still the printed parts can be used to compare the size and shape of the model in 1:48 scale. Here is the comparison of printed model versus Italeri/Testors conversion :

3708.jpg

Next step is to print all parts in 1:48 scale and check the result.

Serkan

• Like 11

In the supply cabinet I found full black and white standard resin bottles whose shelf life expired two years ago. I decided to go with the black one to print all missing parts. It was a bit risk to use this old resin but the result looks very good:

3710.jpg

3711.jpg

3709.jpg

The overall model length will be longer than 65cm. Next step is to update the decal artwork and add the missing instructions to compete the set.

Serkan

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the decal artwork including cutting line paths (blue lines around labels and markings). Here are the decal sheets to be printed:

3718.jpg

Using my Alps MD-5500 I printed the decals onto blue backed decal sheets using multi pass spot color printing method:

3719.jpg

And finally printed decal sheets were sent to Silhouette Cutter to precut each marking from entire carrier film:

3720.jpg

Now the decals both in 1:72 and 1:48 scales are ready to use:

3721.jpg

Next step is to create the instruction sheets.

Serkan

• Like 10

I am so jealous of your decal-making equipment! So many times I’ve been frustrated that I don’t have an ALPS printer. Must be nice 😉

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

I finished the decal artwork including cutting line paths (blue lines around labels and markings). Here are the decal sheets to be printed:

3718.jpg

Using my Alps MD-5500 I printed the decals onto blue backed decal sheets using multi pass spot color printing method:

3719.jpg

And finally printed decal sheets were sent to Silhouette Cutter to precut each marking from entire carrier film:

3720.jpg

Now the decals both in 1:72 and 1:48 scales are ready to use:

3721.jpg

Next step is to create the instruction sheets.

Serkan

Nice looking decals Serkan. I could do with some of these if you are putting them up for sale😀. I’ve just been fitting the Revell ones to my SR71, and they were not the best.

Keep up the good work. 👍

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2024 at 9:39 AM, PeteH1969 said:

WOW

On 5/25/2024 at 1:01 PM, Parabat said:

Seriously impressive endeavour... this is going to be good.

On 4/17/2024 at 11:34 AM, IPMS19 said:

- What a tremendous job,! I have to say that it is very difficult for me to understand something of the computerised process, but nevertheless this work must ne very rewarding once finished.........

Many thanks gentlemen, I am doing my best to bring all these projects to the happy end and apparently I am very close to that.

On 5/26/2024 at 5:54 AM, billn53 said:

I am so jealous of your decal-making equipment! So many times I’ve been frustrated that I don’t have an ALPS printer. Must be nice 😉

Absolutely Bill. I was one of the last lucky guys to get this printer direct from Japan. It cost me a little bit, including shipping and customs fees, but it was worth every penny.

On 5/26/2024 at 9:26 AM, The Podfather said:

Nice looking decals Serkan. I could do with some of these if you are putting them up for sale😀. I’ve just been fitting the Revell ones to my SR71, and they were not the best.

Keep up the good work. 👍

Many thanks C. If you are interested in please send me a PM.

Ok, after spending couple of weeks to finish AG-330 now I am back to Oxcart/Blackbird modelling... Before adding improvements on SR-71A model let me present 1:48 AG-330 starter cart beneath Revell Blackbird intake:

3728.jpg

Although the rear fuselage and nose cone details of Blackbird was done before, the front fuselage panel lines were missing. Now all these panels as well as the sensors, cameras and louvers have been added to model:

3738.jpg

3739.jpg

3740.jpg

The next step is to add canopies and the wind shield.

Serkan

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...