Legendary Blackbird - Part 0: Genesis... (3D Printing)

Here are some images of Revell/Monogram, Italeri/Testors and 3D printed outer wing upper and lower surfaces:

3388.jpg

3389.jpg

3390.jpg

I need to check the root fillets and tip leading edge curvature from real aircraft reference pictures.  But in overall the shape and level of detail seems very good to me.

Next is to check panel line depths and surfaces smoothness.

Serkan

• Like 10

To control the panel lines and surface quality the parts were coated with microfiller black primer and sanded with 1000 grits paper:

3393.jpg

3394.jpg

The woodlike texture shows the 0.033mm print layers. The remaining black primer fills the steps and gives a smooth surface:

3386.jpg

In general the panel lines look fine but for better visibility I will make them a bit deeper.

Serkan

• Like 14

24 minutes ago, Pajarito said:

Quite an impressive work, Serkan!

Are these going to be available in 1/48th scale to be grafted onto the Italeri Sled kit?

Cheers.

Igna

Thanks Igna,

I have already used most of them in my ongoing Italeri and Revell 1:48 conversion projects:

Serkan

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 2:54 PM, Gondor44 said:

The way you are going with this you will be able to completly print any version of this aircraft to what ever scale you want!

Gondor

Yes indeed, I am planning to print an A-12B in 1:32 scales, and maybe YF-12A as well! 🤔

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Since couple of months it has been quiet on this thread but not fully inactive on the 3d modelling. Finally the rear fuselage and wing/engine cowling modelling of pre production aircraft has been completed:

3407.jpg

3408.jpg

Next step is to bring all the parts together and model few missing things such as main wheel bay doors, fuel dump details. Also the bypass and spike exit louvers will be added to engine cowling.

Serkan

• Like 9

On 4/23/2023 at 12:11 AM, Serkan Sen said:

Finally the rear fuselage and wing/engine cowling modelling of pre production aircraft has been completed:

All those complex curves!  Must have been a challenge Serkan.  They all look beautifully blended together :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Fritag said:

All those complex curves!  Must have been a challenge Serkan.  They all look beautifully blended together :D

Thanks Steve. There are still some areas to be improved/corrected. But in overall it looks fine. I will decide how to proceed after doing a test print. To print such big model as a single piece last week I bought a Saturn2 8K printer which is a bit costly but absolutely needed to print in 1:32 scale. 😁

Serkan

• Like 2

On 23/04/2023 at 22:23, Serkan Sen said:

Here is a little update from today. Main wheel bay inner door modelling has been finished:

3409.jpg

Next will be the outboard door modelling.

Serkan

Hi Serkan, you are incredible ! Good job ! 😉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/16/2023 at 1:42 PM, Serkan Sen said:

I have already used most of them in my ongoing Italeri and Revell 1:48 conversion projects:

Hi Serkan,

Indeed, I've watched at each and every project that you've posted on here, but I was wondering whether I could buy a couple of these for the Italeri 1/48 SR-71A kit?

spacer.png

I'm just fascinated at the kink on the wingtip; it's something that I hadn't made out on the real thing, and I've seen the Italeri kit completely lacks of, among several other features, that is, so please advise if you're ever going to make them available. The detail is simply worth paying for.

Cheers,

Igna  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 4/26/2023 at 12:31 AM, Pajarito said:

Hi Serkan,

Indeed, I've watched at each and every project that you've posted on here, but I was wondering whether I could buy a couple of these for the Italeri 1/48 SR-71A kit?

I'm just fascinated at the kink on the wingtip; it's something that I hadn't made out on the real thing, and I've seen the Italeri kit completely lacks of, among several other features, that is, so please advise if you're ever going to make them available. The detail is simply worth paying for.

Cheers,

Igna  

Thanks for your kind words Igna. The 3D modelling is still ongoing. When all the parts are there you can get in touch me to get the printed parts.

After an intensive work the louvers have been added to model:

3419.jpg

3420.jpg

Now I have to find out the best way to print the entire rear fuselage. This will be definitely very challenging.

Serkan

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

The 3D modelling is still ongoing. When all the parts are there you can get in touch me to get the printed parts.

Hi again, Serkan

Oh, fair enough. When you're good and ready, my mate. I'll be eagerly waiting, tho. 

Cheers,

Igna

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some more progress on model side. The rear fuselage has been divided into inner and outer wing parts. Also inner wing has been divided into four parts to fit them to the printer volume:

3421.jpg

3422.jpg

3427.jpg

3428.jpg

3432.jpg

Serkan

• Like 6

The stl files have been imported to chitubox tool and the print file has been created in 1:72 scale:

3433.jpg

3434.jpg

3423.jpg

It will take 7.5 hours to see the result. In parallel I can finish the outer wing and cowling models.

Serkan

• Like 6

First printed parts are here:

3425.jpg

The surface quality and the panel lines look good in overall. But there is a significant cross-sectional shape distortion in height between the solid support frames. I will improve the model to overcome this issue.

Serkan

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

But there is a significant cross-sectional shape distortion in height between the solid support frames

Not sure I can see that on the photo’s - save perhaps for some waviness in the solid former/bulkhead in the part on the bottom right hand side?

What do you think is the cause?

Otherwise the prints look lovely.

I’ve forgotten what CAD program you use, Serkan; but whichever, you’re a master at designing structures with complex curves - which is very impressive and a little envy inducing ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Not sure I can see that on the photo’s - save perhaps for some waviness in the solid former/bulkhead in the part on the bottom right hand side?

What do you think is the cause?

Otherwise the prints look lovely.

I’ve forgotten what CAD program you use, Serkan; but whichever, you’re a master at designing structures with complex curves - which is very impressive and a little envy inducing ;)

Many thanks Steve. I haven't observed before such shrinkage in z direction. I added some stringers and support structures to avoid this nasty result. For closed surfaces like cylinder and rectangular prisms there is no such problem. I am experimenting now to find best result. Soon I will post the comparisons.

Serkan

• Like 1

Here are the printed parts with different type of print supports:

3426.jpg

Replacing the bulkheads with longerones and ribs reduces the shrinkage.  Adding vertical struts reduces the shrinkage amplitude but increases the frequency along fuselage. The only way to avoid this to use a thin solid surface (as expected mathematically and physically). This support surface can be removed before assembling the fuselage halves if necessary.

Next step is to finish outboard wing and nacelle models and print them as well.

Serkan

• Like 5