Legendary Blackbird - Part 0: Genesis... (3D Printing)

7 hours ago, Brandy said:

I would model the inflated unloaded tyre, then cut a little off with an offset plane. You can add a slight fillet to round it off at the sides. More accurate and repeatable than sanding!

Ian

I gave a try to cut with plane and apply fillet as you suggested. In overall it looks fine but some circumferantial details still are perfectly circular which shouldn't supposed to be. I need to  think about it. Most probably they won't be visible at all in the printed parts.

Serkan

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

After a long summer break I am back to my project.

The parts were sent to printer software and the test part have been printed out:

3154.jpg

3155.jpg

Although there are some areas to be thickened and improved, in overall the details of printed parts look very good. Here are the nose wheel assembly parts:

3157.jpg

And the main wheel parts:

3158.jpg

I did also dry fit test of rim halves and tire both for nose and main wheels:

3175.jpg

3161.jpg

All parts fit perfectly. The next step is to do some little modifications and print the parts to be used in my 1:48 Revell SR-71A build.

Serkan 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, billn53 said:

Gorgeous work!

Thanks Bill. It seems that it worths all these efforts. A new set of tires have been printed:

3162.jpg

Here are both main and nose tires (left to right):

3163.jpg

Couple of close views of nose tire:

3164.jpg

And the main tire:

3156.jpg

Serkan

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Exquisite workmanship on those tyres and hubs Serkan. Would I be right in thinking that you printed the hubs separately from the tyres in order to avoid having support marks disrupting the hub detailing?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Would I be right in thinking that you printed the hubs separately from the tyres in order to avoid having support marks disrupting the hub detailing?

There are mainly two reasons printing the rim separately: to get best print quality using z axis and to paint the rim and tire much more easily.

Also in future I can use the same tire for A-12 Oxcart wheels which have much different hubs than SR-71A.

Serkan

• Like 2

And the SR-71A main wheel hubs; outer, centre and inner respectively:

3168.jpg

3169.jpg

3170.jpg

Also close view under the digital magnifier in the same order:

3171.jpg

3172.jpg

3173.jpg

Next step is to print Oxcart canopy and windshield parts using crystal clear resin...

Serkan

• Like 11

• 2 months later...

The cockpit tub model has been slightly modified to fit the seat rail and rear bulk head details. Also the control pedals and stick have been modelled:

3348.jpg

3349.jpg

3350.jpg

The control stick model is not 100% correct. The rear bulkhead details are not complete either. But I think they won't look bad in 1:72 and even in 1:48 scales...

Serkan

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

The ejection seat rails have been modeled with and without cockpit tub. Here is the rail model only:

3351.jpg

And with print support:

3352.jpg

Now all cockpit parts are ready to print:

3353.jpg

It will take four hours to get the first print results in 1:72 scale. I hope this will worth all these efforts 🙂

Serkan

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2022 at 1:54 PM, Serkan Sen said:

Thanks Colin. What I can't achieve with a 3D printer is very limited indeed 🙂

Serkan

I understand but as I may have said before . Being an old school modelmaker and used to making thing from scratch, plus not wanting to sit and draw everything before I can print it seems a drag! I'll continue to watch your wizardry...

Colin

52 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

I understand but as I may have said before . Being an old school modelmaker and used to making thing from scratch, plus not wanting to sit and draw everything before I can print it seems a drag! I'll continue to watch your wizardry...

Colin

Thanks Colin. I did many scratch builds in past and I experienced that it takes longer time and results in very limited quality and details compared to 3d printing.

Serkan

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 11:59 AM, Serkan Sen said:

t will take four hours to get the first print results in 1:72 scale. I hope this will worth all these efforts 🙂

Looking forward to hearing/seeing how those test prints went Serkan.  Looks to me like you’re really pushing the boundaries of what’s doable at 1/72.  But then of course you are! :D

Great stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The early wheel rims used in A-12, A-12B and M-21 as well have been modelled:

3355.jpg

Here are the models of early and late rims together: (inner, center, outer and brakes respectively)

3357.jpg

3356.jpg

3358.jpg

3359.jpg

Next is to prepare STL files for test print.

Serkan

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

I recently started modelling, and found your project while trying to find out if there are any A-12 kits. My grandfather was the flight surgeon for the CIA crews out of Groom Lake in 1965, and I'm hoping to build him a model.

Anyway, I read through all six of your blackbird threads in the last week, and created an account here just to express my admiration! Incredible work!

Tim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Hazelhorn said:

I recently started modelling, and found your project while trying to find out if there are any A-12 kits. My grandfather was the flight surgeon for the CIA crews out of Groom Lake in 1965, and I'm hoping to build him a model.

Anyway, I read through all six of your blackbird threads in the last week, and created an account here just to express my admiration! Incredible work!

Tim

Many thanks for your kind words Tim. I am glad to hear that you liked my ongoing Blackbird/Oxcart builds. Please let me know if you need any printed parts to build an Oxcart for your grandfather.

Serkan

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2022 at 12:40 PM, Serkan Sen said:

Many thanks for your kind words Tim. I am glad to hear that you liked my ongoing Blackbird/Oxcart builds. Please let me know if you need any printed parts to build an Oxcart for your grandfather.

Serkan

Very thoughtful of you! I will message you.

• 3 weeks later...

After adding all these main and nose wheel wells, and the cockpit details there is nothing much left to model. I decided to add rear fuselage and wing details to complete 3D modelling. Maybe in one day I can print an Oxcart or Blackbird in 1:32 scale!.. 🤔

I have started to add panel lines to elevons and then the outboard wing. Most of the work has been finished and the result looks very good to me:

3384.jpg

3385.jpg

I have added the print supports to both outboard wing and aileron and created a print file:

3387.jpg

It will take around 12 hours to finish print job. Depending on the printed part quality I will decide how to proceed further...

Serkan

• Like 10