Legendary Blackbird - Part 0: Genesis... (3D Printing)

The model had dummy nose tires to give an idea how the nose wheel strut looks like together with tires:

2442.jpg

Now the time has come to correct the tires and to add wheel rims. Here are the dummy tires:

3097.jpg

First the tire profile and groves have been improved with best guesstimate (I don't know the exact cross section):

3098.jpg

And some fine details were also added:

3101.jpg

Next step is to add text and some other fine details to the tire model.

Serkan

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, SallysDad said:

Your work is stunning, inspiring.

Thank you for sharing with us here.

Randy

Thanks Randy. This project also helps me to improve my ongoing Oxcart/Blackbird builds using 3D printed parts.

Serkan

• Like 1

The nose tire modelling finally finished. I added few details including some text and the holes on the tire surface. I don't know what these holes in both the main and nose wheels are actually for but I assume they show how worn the tires are.

3102.jpg

3103.jpg

I haven't added all the text because they will be too small to print. But I can add them later if I believe that they can be printable.

Next step is to model the wheel rim.

Serkan

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

The label plates (?) have been added to the model;

M-21 wheel:

3106.jpg

SR-71A  wheel:

3107.jpg

Here are more pictures;

3108.jpg

3099.jpg

And together with the nose gear strut:

3100.jpg

Next step is to model main wheels...

Serkan

Hi Serkan, It is precision work. You are really very talented Serkan 😉 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The tire profile has been corrected. Also missing labels such as the tire size and the tire surface details have been added:

3136.jpg

3137.jpg

It was a wise decision bringing the laptop to our five weeks vacation. Today the temperature outside is over 45 degrees Celcius and I had to find something to do in the airconditioned home till 16:00 o'clock 😓🥵

Serkan

• Like 6

We are currently on the east coast of Aegean sea.

Last week due to extreme heat waves and strong wind from inland to the coast there were many wildfires here in Turkiye (since couple of weeks the Turkey's official name has been changed by UN 😁). One of them was very close to us and fortunately with a quick response (which is very occasional) the fire has been extinguished within 3 hours:

3141.jpg

3142.jpg

3143.jpg

This was a good collaboration of CL-415, Mi-17 and CH-47. Since yesterday the temperature has been dropped to 35 degrees Celsius. Most probably somewhere in inland it is heavily raining...

Serkan

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Since yesterday the temperature has been dropped to 35 degrees Celsius. Most probably somewhere in inland it is heavily raining...

Here in North Yorkshire, UK.  It's currently 14 degrees C and raining, what heatwave and drought?  :shrug:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Here in North Yorkshire, UK.  It's currently 14 degrees C and raining, what heatwave and drought?  :shrug:

Most probably melted ice caps drop the temperature in North Atlantic. But here we are very close to North Africa/Arabian desert zone. 🥵🥵🥵

• Like 2

On 7/26/2022 at 2:47 PM, Serkan Sen said:

The tire profile has been corrected.

The wheels alone look very good. But when all parts are assembled together it seems that the tire cross section profile I guesstimate is not fully correct. Any thoughts or comments on this will be highly appreciated.

Serkan

3140.jpg

• Like 4

On 7/29/2022 at 12:10 PM, Serkan Sen said:

The wheels alone look very good. But when all parts are assembled together it seems that the tire cross section profile I guesstimate is not fully correct. Any thoughts or comments on this will be highly appreciated.

After working a bit more on available pictures of operational aircrafts, the profile has been modified for the inflated tire:

3144.jpg

3145.jpg

3148.jpg

The above picture shows the comparison of inflated and flat tire models. Next step is to find a way to model loaded inflated tire.

Serkan

• Like 5

I have discovered a miracle tool namely "blender" to modify/distort an existing mesh model including STL files. Using lattice modifier mode I managed to generate the loaded tire model:

3149.jpg

3150.jpg

From the above images right to left you can see the flat, inflated and loaded tire models.

Next step is to repeat the process to generate the loaded tires for various rotation angles.

Serkan

• Like 4

Please don't make the mistake of having the loaded tyres bulge out at the bottom! They don't, unless they're flat! 

I just add an offset plane and cut the bottom off for loaded tyres, then add a slight chamfer so it's rounded.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Brandy said:

Please don't make the mistake of having the loaded tyres bulge out at the bottom! They don't, unless they're flat! 

I just add an offset plane and cut the bottom off for loaded tyres, then add a slight chamfer so it's rounded.

Ian

Thanks Ian,

Then maybe the best solution is to model inflated unloaded tire and then slightly sand the bottom round the edges to simulate loaded case. 🤔

Serkan

• Like 1

I would model the inflated unloaded tyre, then cut a little off with an offset plane. You can add a slight fillet to round it off at the sides. More accurate and repeatable than sanding!

Ian

• Like 1