Legendary Blackbird - Part 0: Genesis... (3D Printing)

After a little investigation I found out that the NLG bay and therefore the doors were 2.5mm shorter (1:48 scale) than the correct size. Therefore I spent few days to fix this issue and here are the results:

The missing (red marked) areas were added to model:

2875.jpg

The nose wheel bay doors were also corrected and some details were added:

2891.jpg

2892.jpg

2893.jpg

And last but not least the uplock mechanism has been added to whell well model:

2888.jpg

2889.jpg

2890.jpg

Serkan

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

I was not planning to model MLG bay assembly but my ongoing 1:48 Revell Blackbird project has forced me to do this. Here are the 3D model and the printed part:

2924.jpg

2926.jpg

2931.jpg

I have added some missing details and also corrected the failing areas and new parts will be ready in few hours.

Next is to add side stay and main strut...

Serkan

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Fritag said:

Impressive CAD as always Serkan - looking forward to the first prints.

Many thanks for your kind words. I have printed the parts and here are some test shots:

2963.jpg

2964.jpg

More images will follow. In overall I am very happy with the printed parts and finally I can start to build my 1:48 Revell Blackbird.

Serkan

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Shalako said:

With all these work you have put into this kit Serkan, you make me wish I had the 1/72 Blackbird instead of the 1/48!!!

Nonetheless, it's an inspiring project.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks lot Bill. I have several Oxcart/Blackbird builds in different scales and kits in this forum under dedicated topics (Part 0 to 5) and two of them are casted resin conversions whereas the others with 3d printed conversions. I will add couple of new topics for the conversions based on Revell/Monogram 1:72 Blackbird and Italeri/Testors YF-12A kits. Also "Long Tail" SR-71A is in my to do list (Maybe later on even SR-71C "The B*stard"?)

Serkan

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

That is some very fine printing Serkan, especially the hydraulic lines. What resin are you using?

Thanks Loren.  I am using Elegoo Mars 3 printer with Elegoo ABS like resin. I am very happy with all printed parts. They are more durable and resistant to break than the standard resin.

Serkan

• Thanks 2

On 4/24/2022 at 8:32 PM, Serkan Sen said:

It took a bit time to model all these details but I am very satisfied with the result 🙂

Now that’s an understatement Serkan :D 

On 4/23/2022 at 8:49 PM, Serkan Sen said:

with Elegoo ABS like resin. I am very happy with all printed parts. They are more durable and resistant to break than the standard resin

Interesting, sounds like it’s useful when printing fine parts such as cabling etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

During last few weeks I was working on cockpit details to be able to complete my ongoing 1:48 A-12B "Titanium Goose" project. From "Oxcart" maintenance manual I have found the following cockpit panel layouts:

3011.jpg

and I mapped them onto basic cockpit tub:

3012.jpg

3013.jpg

3015.jpg

After a week of work here is the result:

3014.jpg

3016.jpg

Next step will be the instrument panel.

Serkan

• Like 9

Speaking as an instrument instructor, all i can say is that panel would be mind-bogglingly difficult to scan and i can only imagine how tired the pilot must have felt after prolonged flying at Mach 3+, especially if the autopilot was inop.

-d-

• Like 1