Legendary Blackbird - Part 0: Genesis... (3D Printing)

On 9/7/2021 at 8:58 PM, Serkan Sen said:

When I finish the NLG bay and assembly parts should I model AG330 starter cart as next? I have checked Hypersonic Models kit but this tiny model is a bit costly. I think I can model most of the details in few days... 🤔

On 9/7/2021 at 9:17 PM, LorenSharp said:

I would Serkan. That's what I had planned to do when I finally get around to doing my A-12. Not only cheaper, but probably add more detail than they have.:thumbsup:

I am afraid the joke has turned out to reality. Yesterday I started to model AG-330 starter cart too. Most probably this 3D printing project will take its place in the Hall of Shame nearby the other dozens of unfinished projects...

I have found significant amount of pictures to model the side, front, rear and top of the cart reasonably well. But unfortunately there is no image of the bottom to see a bit the chassis detail. Ok, I am not expecting that any visitor will lay down on the floor and take some pictures at the museum...

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 3

On 9/11/2021 at 7:28 AM, Serkan Sen said:

If the correct shape and dimensions are available the rest is not so difficult. The difficult part is to find reliable reference material.

Maybe to you but to a mere mortal such as I you are doing magic. My mind just can't work in the way CAD needs, but watching what can be achieved is fascinating.

That nose gear bay may be worth reproducing in 1/48 as there must be hundreds of the Italeri kits in stashes and maybe the Revell kit will need it too. It's going to be very interesting when the Revell and then Hypersonic/Gaspatch kits appear.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

That nose gear bay may be worth reproducing in 1/48 as there must be hundreds of the Italeri kits in stashes...

I  will print all engine/nozzle and nose wheel bay details at least for my own pending 1:48 Italeri Blackbird:

1039.jpg

Or should I build this monster as A-12B "Titanium Goose"?..

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 6

This is amazing. Nothing I'll ever be able to copy, so it's a fascinating view into the process. I can see how 3D design and print will become a huge part of the hobby in time 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alan P said:

This is amazing. Nothing I'll ever be able to copy, so it's a fascinating view into the process. I can see how 3D design and print will become a huge part of the hobby in time 

Thanks Alan,

Once you get the basic principles of descriptive geometry and CAD tool functions the rest is only matter of time availability and the creativity. My early 3D printing results which were given below have highly motivated me to make further improvements on nozzle/exhaust, NLG bay/assy and cockpit areas. Now I am very close to complete the engine part. The next area will be the cockpit tub.

1906.jpg

1912.jpg

1876.jpg

1907.jpg

2059.jpg

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Serkan Sen said:

Thanks Alan,

Once you get the basic principles of descriptive geometry and CAD tool functions the rest is only matter of time availability and the creativity. My early 3D printing results which were given below have highly motivated me to make further improvements on nozzle/exhaust, NLG bay/assy and cockpit areas. Now I am very close to complete the engine part. The next area will be the cockpit tub.

Serkan

Many, many years ago when I first learned  3d Modeling and animation, I had trouble wrapping my head around the building models concept. Then I I remembered only 3 shapes will determine an objects look, no matter how complex . A cone, a box, a tube.

and you are either removing that shape, or adding that shape to the final result. Once you break down something into those 3 shapes the rest is your imagination.. Great job on the heart of the Blackbird Serkan!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Many, many years ago when I first learned  3d Modeling and animation, I had trouble wrapping my head around the building models concept. Then I I remembered only 3 shapes will determine an objects look, no matter how complex . A cone, a box, a tube.

and you are either removing that shape, or adding that shape to the final result. Once you break down something into those 3 shapes the rest is your imagination.. Great job on the heart of the Blackbird Serkan!

Thanks Loren, you are almost right but you have forgotten to add the sphere to basic shape list 😄

This is a good example to your statement which is the basic drawing of this Oxcart model:

1270.jpg

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 8

The forward part of the afterburner can was modelled as well:

2417.jpg

2418.jpg

2419.jpg

The L brackets and the rivets were modelled a bit oversized to be able to print them in 1:72 scale (I hope they will be visible in printed parts).

Next step is to add the afterburner rings...

Serkan

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the printed nozzle assembly:

2425.jpg

I had to make some iterations to set the optimum wall thickness of the details. Here are the evolution of the 3D model left to right:

2428.jpg

2427.jpg

As the first attempt I have kept the thinnest wall thickness around 0.15mm which failed especially during cleaning process with IPA. Also the afterburner rings were printed together with the afterburner can which makes the painting the details very difficult.

As the second attempt I have filled all the exhaust exterior details and increased the thickness of the variable area exhaust nozzle feathers. Also I have printed the afterburner rings separately. But it partially failed printing the feathers.

As the third attempt I have increased the feather thickness and also made some improvements on afterburner rings. During this attempt I have forgotten the tighten the printing plate which caused the misaligned z layers (taht can be seen clearly on printed parts).

Here is the close view of afterburner rings:

2429.jpg

2426.jpg

Next step is the fit test with 1:72 and 1:48 exhaust parts...

Serkan

• Like 10

Here are the nozzle and exhaust assemblies in 1:72 and 1:48 scales:

2430.jpg

2431.jpg

The nozzle ring and tertiary doors section in 1:48 is missing because this section was already glued to airframe. But this part will be also printed in 1:48 scale during that build.

Serkan

• Like 8

The ejection seat model was reworked. The below images show the new (with base) and old models. The wall thicknesses were increased (>0.2mm) and the support base was added. Also the seat cushion and seat rest were modified/added.

2432.jpg

2433.jpg

The model was sent to printer. It will take around 2 hours...

Serkan

• Like 8

Here are the freshly made Oxcart seats in 1:48 and 1:72 scales:

2434.jpg

2435.jpg

2436.jpg

Although there are some areas to be improved (such as knee protectors etc.) the overall results look well detailed for such tiny parts.

Next step is to start cockpit tub...

Serkan

• Like 11