Legendary Blackbird - Part 0: Genesis... (3D Printing)

• 2 weeks later...

Last few days I was busy with CAD model both to improve print quality and adding some details on canopies and cockpit frames. I have also added edge fillet to razor sharp chine edges and made the pitot tube thicker:

1918.jpg

1919.jpg

1920.jpg

As seen above the glare shields at windshield areas were added as well...

Serkan

• Like 12

On 27/12/2020 at 17:20, Serkan Sen said:

The internal details of nozzle, exhaust feathers and tertiary doors look very realistic compared to kit parts.

Looks great and very detailed, Serkan! 👍 It’s a way better and accurate in comparison to the kit parts.

On 27/12/2020 at 21:58, Hornet said:

The afterburner fuel rings would be great improvement...

That’s true!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Last few days I was busy with CAD model both to improve print quality and adding some details on canopies and cockpit frames. I have also added edge fillet to razor sharp chine edges and made the pitot tube thicker:

1918.jpg

1919.jpg

1920.jpg

As seen above the glare shields at windshield areas were added as well...

Serkan

Hello Serkan, waouw !!!! Je suis impressionné par votre travail ;) Bonne année 2021 ! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I really loved this 3D printing business. With a bit effort you can print almost everything that you imagine...

For my ongoing parallel project I have completed Russian FAB-250-M54 bomb model and sent it to printer:

1888.jpg

It is great to have an option to scale up/down the STL file. I have created the bombs both in 1:72 and 1:48 scales for my ongoing Flanker projects:

1890.jpg

It will take around 2.5 hours to be completed...

Serkan

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

Printing bombs finished 🙂

Excellent work, Serkan! 👍

I think someday we could download the kit directly from the web shop and print it along with the decals... 🤖

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Excellent work, Serkan! 👍

I think someday we could download the kit directly from the web shop and print it along with the decals... 🤖

Thanks  Nikolay,

Yes I think so. Currently the only bottleneck seems that printing white and metallic decals and clear parts...

Serkan

• Like 3

Great Job Serkan, ! you are a Professional  ;) I really like your work 😀

Idea : I think in the future, you should do a 3D Shenyang J-14   1/72 ...? -> New manufacture " Model kits and conversion / Serkit  " 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/26/2020 at 7:59 AM, neil5208 said:

I'm interested in the hardness of the cured resin, would it be able to scribe panel lines into?

After a little test of printing the part with Qbay hatch panel line I decided to add all panel lines to nose cone:

1904.jpg

Probably the panel lines are not 100% correct but I did my best using A-12B pictures as refence. Also as you noticed the panel lines are at chine is for early A-12s and A-12B with triangle panels:

1946.jpg

It will take 3 hours to print entire nose including static probe. I have tried to print the probe separately but it was not easy to align and glue it to nose...

Serkan

• Like 9

The parts are ready to review: I have three nose parts one without panel lines, one with 0.10mm radius and one with 0.15mm radius circular slot profile:

1956.jpg

1954.jpg

1955.jpg

In overall both 0.10mm 0.15mm radius look quite nice but I am not sure what will be left after light sanding...

Serkan

• Like 12

After this successful panel line print test I decided to do same on entire front fuselage. As first step I sketched the panel lines with a pencil on existing printed part:

1957.jpg

This looked to me doable. After spending few hours I created the panel lines on model surface:

1960.jpg

I need to make some final checks before sending the model to printer...

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 13

3 minutes ago, David H said:

I don't consider myself an expert on the shape nuances of the A-12, but it really looks like you nailed the profile. I'm amazed the printer could do the pitot boom.

Thanks David,

Here are some additional checks of profile and panel lines:

1958.jpg

1959.jpg

Maybe I should think about building nose landing gear assembly as well... 🙂

Serkan

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

Thanks David,

Here are some additional checks of profile and panel lines:

1958.jpg

1959.jpg

Maybe I should think about building nose landing gear assembly as well... 🙂

Serkan

Serkan, as I've always said, In for a penny, In for a pound, You might as well, You're in the neighborhood and it won't be that much more to it.. So Go For It!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

Thanks lot. Everytime when I look the 3D model and  printed parts I find some areas to improve... 🙂

Unfortuantely that is the lot of someone who's discovered 3D printing.. You're  now an  Engineer AND fabricator. And They LOVE to change things.:wall:

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, neil5208 said:

The 0.15 radius lines look good without primer, would like to see when primed.

Even if I never used the primer, I think that 0.15 mm lines will look excellent when painted. 👍

Well done, Serkan! 👏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Even if I never used the primer, I think that 0.15 mm lines will look excellent when painted. 👍

Well done, Serkan! 👏

Thanks Nikolay. But I am not sure that having 0.3mm wide panel lines is much acceptable. Maybe I should try to apply rectangular profile to make the slot deeper (eg 0.2mm) without increasing the breadth (eg 0.1mm). But it is a bit tricky and requires additional effort for each panel line.

Serkan

• Like 3

10 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Unfortuantely that is the lot of someone who's discovered 3D printing.. You're  now an  Engineer AND fabricator. And They LOVE to change things.:wall:

I think my problem is that I am a bit perfectionist and I am spending al lot of time for details more than necessary. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2