Legendary Blackbird - Part 0: Genesis... (3D Printing)

5 hours ago, billn53 said:

I’m impatient to see some 3D printing done!

Me too Bill!.. But I have fear of failure at printing parts. Therefore I am continuously postponing it by adding more details on model. 😁

Here is an update on seat modeling:

1319.jpg

Next will be the seat cushion and survival kit..

Serkan

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Nice progress. Do you consider to make your files available? On Thingiverse or the like?

Having put this amount of work in I'd expect @Serkan Sen to keep them firmly private and sell either the files with a strict license or just to sell the printed model or parts. I used to post stuff to Instructables but other than competition prizes (which are largely just branded tat) it was just competing with my own sales 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:
6 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Nice progress. Do you consider to make your files available? On Thingiverse or the like?

Having put this amount of work in I'd expect @Serkan Sen to keep them firmly private and sell either the files with a strict license or just to sell the printed model or parts.

It is too early to say anything about availability of the parts or the files but definitely I will not put them into public area. In case of selling the parts or files the money will directly go to charity/foundation account as a donation.

Serkan

• Like 6

On 30/12/2019 at 16:50, Serkan Sen said:

The main front fuselage was designed to let building all derivatives using proper replacement parts.

You’re moving fast, Serkan! I’m sure it’s a very fascinating process and you’re always have a chance to perform a step back if something goes wrong. Unfortunately, the «Save As...» feature isn’t available in a real modelling.

On 31/12/2019 at 13:32, Serkan Sen said:

Ok, as the last improvement of this year I have started to model early version of C-2 ejection seat...

The same seat as for the Starfighters?

spacer.png

I’ve never known this! 😶

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

The same seat as for the Starfighters?

From "EjectionSite.com"

"This is a Lockheed Design which is not much different from the Stanley designed Lockheed C-2 (later modifed into the S/R-2) seat which preceded it in other aircraft [Note: the C-2 seat was used in the very early A-12 and SR-71 Blackbirds as can be seen in the cockpit of A-12 06925]. Some of the differences between the C-2 and the SR-1 seat include the omission of the leg guards and arm restraint nets which were used on the C-2. Due to a fatality which occurred early in the SR-71 program where a crewman was killed when his helmet impacted the headrest of the seat during a structural breakup, some of the C-2 seats were equipped with a headrest extender to more closely fit the seat to the crewman."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2020 at 12:01 AM, Serkan Sen said:

But I have fear of failure at printing parts.

Serkan: loving the attention to detail here but I really would advise test-printing a diagnostic part sooner rather than later in order to get a feel for the tolerances of the resin output - just to reassure yourself that the level of detail being incorporated will actually be reproduced in the way that you anticipate.

Also critical in order to work out what orientation to print various parts in, regarding the necessary support structures and resultant contact artefacts on various surfaces of the airframe that would need cleaning up afterwards.

I've done a couple of test shots with the Elegoo and they are already influencing some of the design decisions I'm taking on the wing I'm building.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I completely agree with Tony's suggestion Serkan. 

You have incorporated a lot of really interesting detail, but at 1/72 scale and the resolution of the printer, a lot of that detail is going to get lost in the noise.  You need to experiment with printing to see what the finest detail you can actually print is going to be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Serkan: loving the attention to detail here but I really would advise test-printing a diagnostic part sooner rather than later in order to get a feel for the tolerances of the resin output - just to reassure yourself that the level of detail being incorporated will actually be reproduced in the way that you anticipate.

Also critical in order to work out what orientation to print various parts in, regarding the necessary support structures and resultant contact artefacts on various surfaces of the airframe that would need cleaning up afterwards.

I've done a couple of test shots with the Elegoo and they are already influencing some of the design decisions I'm taking on the wing I'm building.

Thanks for your suggestion Tony. I will make some test prints using ejection seat model which is enough detailed to see output quality. The support structures will be added by checking the isolated islands before sending the jobs to printer.

1 hour ago, hendie said:

You have incorporated a lot of really interesting detail, but at 1/72 scale and the resolution of the printer, a lot of that detail is going to get lost in the noise.  You need to experiment with printing to see what the finest detail you can actually print is going to be.

Maybe I should print in 1:48 even in 1:32 scale to overcome this issue 🙂

Currently I have no idea how to add and print panel lines to surface.

Serkan

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Currently I have no idea how to add and print panel lines to surface.

Depends how crazy you want to go. 

I did an experiment making each shape as two nested bodies one slightly smaller inside the other. then drawing panel lines as a sketch and using those to remove some of the outer body. It works ok(ish) but there must be a more elegant solution. Need to be really really precise to not get duplicate panel lines when you repeat the process from different angles and orientations.

I came to the conclusion it was less time and difficulty to add panel lines and small details to the physical model than to incorporate into the print (with the caveat that I’ve been doing fused deposition printing)

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Watching a few Youtube videos on the Anycubic Photon (for example) the print quality seems to be that good that you are able to print even tiny pieces in 1/72.

The second half of the video shows examples that have very small details.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, Sting67 said:

Watching a few Youtube videos on the Anycubic Photon (for example) the print quality seems to be that good that you are able to print even tiny pieces in 1/72.

The second half of the video shows examples that have very small details.

Thanks for this link. This was also my expectation what I have seen from all these videos before starting 3D modelling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Recently I have received considerable amount of private messages about the current status of Italeri A-12 Oxcart and Revell Flanker conversions. To be honest I made no progress on both since I have jumped into virtual modelling world. But now it's time to go back to real world...

220px-Red_and_blue_pill.jpg

Today I did some progress on Italeri/Testors Oxcart conversion and reported here:

I will continue to update this thread in parallel.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Has this progressed any further Serkan? Any trial run prints on the smaller parts yet?

Just looking at your seat model again, i wonder if the 'D-Ring' might be a little too small/thin diameter when printing at 1/72?

I fell down a hole of reading about the Sr-71 satellite launcher last night and went to bed dreaming of 'what ifs' and came back to this thread again :D 

• Like 1

I haven't made any further progress on this project. I am currently working on A-12 and M-21 conversions to finish them to be able to have more time for 3D business:

You are right that the seat has very tiny parts which are most probably not possible to print in 72 scale. But they can be a little bit oversized to solve that problem. And who knows, in one day I might decide to print in 32 scale 😁

Serkan

• Like 6

• 9 months later...
On 1/1/2020 at 7:02 PM, billn53 said:

Great work so far but I’m impatient to see some 3D printing done!  Who knows, it might convince me to buy a printer and learn the necessary design software. Something this old dog has no time for 😂

Dear Bill,

Almost one year later your wish became real. I dedicate this post to you as an early Christmas gift:

As a last Christmas gift I got a 3D printer from my wife and daughters. This year during Black Friday offers I have seen that a new version of my Elegoo Mars (Pro) was only for 180€ and I wanted to get it. But my wife made me remembered that I haven't opened the existing ones box yet... Of course she was right (as always) and to deserve the new model I had to show my skill that I am capable of using such tool...

I have decided to make some test prints using my 3D Blackbird model. I have selected first the nozzle assembly to print.

1298.jpg

The first step was to add supports to all nozzle parts and export to stl file to process them using chitubox tool:

1841.jpg

1842.jpg

After calibrating the device I sent the first print job to printer. As you can expect the first print was a total disappointment. Of course this was because of my lack of experience and impatience but not the fault of device.

After few iterations we got used to each other and the first acceptable results appeared:

1843.jpg

The nasty part is to clean both part and holding plate with IPA after each print job:

1844.jpg

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The evolution of print skill and model can be seen from below examples. First the nozzle and tertiary doors area:

1845.jpg

1846.jpg

Also the exhaust area required some modifications especially increasing the wall thickness to print the part error free:

1847.jpg

1882.jpg

Printing the compressor stator and rotor stages was really challenging:

1848.jpg

The first few attempts failed because of extremely thin blade shapes:

1849.jpg

1850.jpg

But finally I managed to print these tiny parts successfully.

Next step is to print intake assembly...

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 13