Legendary Blackbird - Part 0: Genesis... (3D Printing)

42 minutes ago, hendie said:

it all depends upon part orientation.  I too have the Elegoo Mars and I usually print with .03, or even .02 layer height. 

Thanks for sharing your experience Hendie,

Yes you are right, printing a vertically positioned 30mm long needle will take longer than 120x100x25 size block as the printing time is dependent on part height.

45 minutes ago, hendie said:

if you haven't already, look into getting a copy of Photon File Validator to check your output from Chitubox.

Also thanks for this valuable tip. I will have a look that tool. It is better to check the parts before sending to printer to save time and material.

Serkan

• Like 2

I can second the Photon validating software as well Serkan. Alan's right that Chitubox isn't good enough in itself to identify all the  unsupported 'islands' in the design (especially miniscule ones where a shape begins) so the extra time taken to check your output saves a part failing during the print.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It was a bit complicated to model all fillets and inlet chine but finally completed. The reference picture and drawing chine shapes are not matching. I have taken the contour from the real aircraft:

1301.jpg

1302.jpg

Next is to finish wing including all leading edge fillets and movables.

Serkan 

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 10

Hello Serkan,

I skipped some posts in this thread and now I’m really impressed how your experimental work turned into the great engineering experience! The printed resin parts looks awesome, but it’ll take a lot of time to print the whole bird, isn’t it?! 🙃 I’m looking forward for the future updates here and I think you’re going to produce the best Blackbird family kit ever.

Waiting for the landing gear and its bays... 😬

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/21/2019 at 8:16 PM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Hello Serkan,

I skipped some posts in this thread and now I’m really impressed how your experimental work turned into the great engineering experience! The printed resin parts looks awesome, but it’ll take a lot of time to print the whole bird, isn’t it?! 🙃 I’m looking forward for the future updates here and I think you’re going to produce the best Blackbird family kit ever.

Waiting for the landing gear and its bays... 😬

Hi Nikolay,

I was really wondering why you were not reacting this thread since long time 🙂

Thanks lot for your compliment. I am improving my modeling skill day by day. It will definitely take long time to print all the parts but I have no time constraint.

I have almost completed the basic model for A-12 which will be the base model for A-12, A-12B and M-21 derivatives.

The landing gear bay and assembly will be also challenging.

Serkan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Finally wing model was completed. Adding all fillets were a bit challenging but now seems reasonably good. Any identified mistakes can be corrected relatively easily.

1303.jpg

And here are all parts together:

1304.jpg

1305.jpg

1306.jpg

I keep the next step as surprise. Any guess is welcome 🙂

Serkan

• Like 13

Serkan, even though this thread is for the A-12, a little bit of history for everyone. 55 years ago today, 22 December 1964: Lockheed test pilot Robert J. “Bob” Gilliland made a solo first flight of the first SR-71A, 61-7950, at Air Force Plant 42, Palmdale, California. The “Blackbird” flew higher than 45,000 feet (13,716 meters) and more than 1,000 miles per hour (1,609 kilometers per hour) before landing at Edwards Air Force Base, 22 miles (35 kilometers) northeast, to begin the flight test program. And remember, these aircraft were not designed with the aid of a computer, but with a slide rule. Not to bad for a bunch of pocket protector geeks.😎

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 18/12/2019 at 09:53, Serkan Sen said:

Thanks Caerbannog,

The printer is Elegoo Mars 3D resin printer which I recently bought myself as Christmas gift (of coarse with the permission of my wife 🙂 ). The printer has 120 x 68 x 155 mm print volume.

(...)

Serkan

I followed and ordered an Elegoo Mars 3D myself 🙂

Looked way too good not to buy it.

Rene

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Robert said:

Hi Serkan, in one month you have 3D the A-12 amazing work. D-21 next ?

Also @JeffreyK is working on a SR-71 but to 1/48.

Regards

Robert

Thanks Robert, I am also very happy with the progress I have made so far. Many times I was at the edge of abandoning the project and going back to kits waiting on the bench.

I have checked Jeffrey's project but I haven't seen further progress since long time.

My aim is to create all the versions printable in all scales. 1:32 A-12B "Titanium Goose" would be great to have 😁

Serkan

• Like 4

Amazing work Serkan! love it.  This would look amazing in 1/48!

Want to create a REALLY off the wall variant of the SR-71? I found this ambitious project - 

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/26251/cia-and-skunk-works-secretly-planned-to-turn-the-a-12-spy-plane-into-a-space-launch-mothership

The more i look into these Elgoos the more i am tempted. The cost of Resin is VERY good compared to most competitors. MyMiniFactory has a good deal on a rather fetching Green edition which looks nice, although i wonder about how better/worse that is to stop UV. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 23/12/2019 at 02:33, Serkan Sen said:

I was really wondering why you were not reacting this thread since long time 🙂

Sometimes I became less contact and switch from modelling to reading books or just music listening, sorry... 😬

On 23/12/2019 at 02:33, Serkan Sen said:

The landing gear bay and assembly will be also challenging.

I think it’s not a big problem for you! 😉

4 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

I wish you a Merry Christmas.

We wish you a merry Christmas too!

4 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Let me introduce the A-12B "Titanium Goose"...

Ah, looks awesome! Fantastic work, Serkan! 👏

Any plans about the cockpit and some internal parts design? It would be interesting to know.

Thank you! 🤝

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Ah, looks awesome! Fantastic work, Serkan! 👏

Any plans about the cockpit and some internal parts design? It would be interesting to know.

Thanks Nikolay,

I have seen that there are some aftermarket Blackbird resin seats. But I may suddenly decide to model my own Lockheed C-2 seat 😁

I need to find some reference photos of rear cockpit detailing. For forward cockpit instrument panels I will refer to A-12 flight manual.

I am trying to stop myself starting J-58 modelling. It will lead enormous modelling effort on engine bay area which will cause significant delay in this project. Maybe I should do it later as an upgrade after the first printed model is ready.

Serkan

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

But I may suddenly decide to model my own Lockheed C-2 seat 😁

Why not? 😎

18 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

I need to find some reference photos of rear cockpit detailing. For forward cockpit instrument panels I will refer to A-12 flight manual.

Maybe this video could be helpful:

It’s all about the SR-71, but it’s very interesting.

20 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

I am trying to stop myself starting J-58 modelling. It will lead enormous modelling effort on engine bay area which will cause significant delay in this project.

Modelling an engines isn’t so necessary at current phase, I think.

22 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

Maybe I should do it later as an upgrade after the first printed model is ready.

Sounds reasonable! «An ultimate Blackbird kit - order in any scale, choose any level of detailing...» 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/24/2019 at 9:31 PM, Nikolay Polyakov said:
On 12/24/2019 at 9:05 PM, Serkan Sen said:

But I may suddenly decide to model my own Lockheed C-2 seat 😁

Why not? 😎

Ok, as the last improvement of this year I have started to model early version of C-2 ejection seat...

1315.jpg

The main skeleton/structure of the seat is almost ready:

1316.jpg

1317.jpg

1318.jpg

I hope in one day I will be able to print them out...🤔

Otherwise what I will have be only a very well detailed 3D CAD model...😁

Happy modelling in new year!..

Serkan

• Like 9

On 24/12/2019 at 14:59, Kushan_Farsight said:

Amazing work Serkan! love it.  This would look amazing in 1/48!

Want to create a REALLY off the wall variant of the SR-71? I found this ambitious project - 

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/26251/cia-and-skunk-works-secretly-planned-to-turn-the-a-12-spy-plane-into-a-space-launch-mothership

The more i look into these Elgoos the more i am tempted. The cost of Resin is VERY good compared to most competitors. MyMiniFactory has a good deal on a rather fetching Green edition which looks nice, although i wonder about how better/worse that is to stop UV. 

Can't you use the resins across printers? Should be doable with a tweak on the cure time as long as the initiator responds to the same wavelength of lamp? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Can't you use the resins across printers? Should be doable with a tweak on the cure time as long as the initiator responds to the same wavelength of lamp? 

It shouldn't be an issue (at least between Elegoo Mars and Anycubic Photon) with using proper setup. I have bought Anycubic resin for my Mars but haven't tried yet.

Serkan

• Like 3

Great work so far but I’m impatient to see some 3D printing done!  Who knows, it might convince me to buy a printer and learn the necessary design software. Something this old dog has no time for 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1