Legendary Blackbird - Part 0: Genesis... (3D Printing)

6 hours ago, Sting67 said:

You probably have these pics already but here's at least one sharp pic of the spike, plus an interesting video that shows the position of the spike.

Yes I have seen them and used the photos as reference material for modelling spike.

Serkan

• Like 2

Spike modelling was relatively simple. The surface was generated simply revolving the profile:

1287.jpg

The most challenging part was to add all bleed slots to solid part:

1288.jpg

The complete intake assembly with engine cowling looks quite nice 🙂

1290.jpg

And here is the comparison of real spike versus generated part:

1292.jpg

Next will be the engine guide vanes and first compressor rotor stage.

Serkan

• Like 11

Inspiring work Serkan. Always refreshing to watch somebody else's methodology and learn from their developmental processes: this is a genuinely fascinating thread.

Those bleed slots are superb!

I recently acquired a resin printer myself a couple of weeks back in order to 3D print the Avon engines for my Sea Vixen build. Noting your remarks about the complexity of the engines here, I'm going to have to think carefully about what to print, and what to build from brass! 😁

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Inspiring work Serkan. Always refreshing to watch somebody else's methodology and learn from their developmental processes: this is a genuinely fascinating thread.

Those bleed slots are superb!

I recently acquired a resin printer myself a couple of weeks back in order to 3D print the Avon engines for my Sea Vixen build.

Thank you very much for your kind words 🙂

My 3D resin printer is still waiting for its turn with original package in basement (I hope it was delivered complete and undamaged). Creating the slots was a bit tricky but not very difficult. Currently I am thinking about how to model the panel lines.

Serkan

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, paulsbrown said:

You're a busy guy. How's the Su-27M T-10M series coming?

Hi  Paul,

After the sweating old resin issues and owen disaster I had to discard all 3 T-10M models because of deformed wing shapes. (I know this was similar to  "newer dry your cat in microwave!.." caution)

I didn't completely give up T-10M series and already casted new parts with new resin. I have used new parts in my Flankerstein "what if" project:

937.jpg

940.jpg

Soon I will start new threads for each T-10M aircraft.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, Graeme H said:

Just catching up with this one, some great work going on, with applaudable attention to detail. 

Thanks Graeme,

I am very close to complete the outer surface. I will first print in 1:288 scale. When I complete the 3D model including panel lines landing gear parts and other tiny details I may attempt to print in 1:32 scale 🙂

Serkan

• Like 3

On 12/18/2019 at 9:32 AM, Caerbannog said:

Great work. I wonder what printer you have to print such a large kit with so fine detail.

Will follow with interest.

Thanks Caerbannog,

The printer is Elegoo Mars 3D resin printer which I recently bought myself as Christmas gift (of coarse with the permission of my wife 🙂 ). The printer has 120 x 68 x 155 mm print volume.

I won't print this huge bird as single piece. Even the spikes I have divided into 3 pieces. The fuselage and wings will have considerable amount of pieces depending on the scale. 👷‍♂️

We will see the first print results soon.

Serkan

• Like 7

This has been a really interesting read so far and I look forward to seeing the outcome. Your 3D modelling is very pleasing to look at and your attention to detail impressive. I've enjoyed seeing the development of your 3D sculpt alongside technical drawings and real life photographs. I wish I had the patience and the skills!

Best of luck with the project, I'm following.

Steven

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Serkan, i'm really impressed by you work. i'll like to do the same ...🙄 Incredible !!! Then, maybe you will be able to print some parts for your T-10M ?   

Just now, Neffan said:

Hi Serkan, i'm really impressed by your  work. i'll like to do the same ...🙄 Incredible !!!

Then, maybe you will be able to print some parts for your T-10M ?   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Neffan said:

Hi Serkan, i'm really impressed by you work. i'll like to do the same ...🙄 Incredible !!! Then, maybe you will be able to print some parts for your T-10M ?   

Hi Neffan,

There is no need to print T-10M parts because all the molds for modified parts are ready. All I have to do is to go basement and cast the parts 🙂. Most probably I will do some progress on T-10M builds during Christmas break...

Serkan

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

The printer is Elegoo Mars 3D resin printer which I recently bought myself as Christmas gift (of coarse with the permission of my wife 🙂 )

Exactly the same situation with me! :rofl:

That whole assembly is looking highly impressive now Serkan. The accumulated detail there now is sure to look fa tactic in physical form. :thumbsup2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Love it! Only a matter of time till there is an inaugural 3D design and print Group Build

Thanks, I hope I will complete this project before someone else offer better kit with reasonable price. In any case I will have an advantage to print it in any scale 😁

Serkan

• Like 3

work looks to be progressing well :) 

If this is going to be an A-12, will you be likewise producing or designing the model in such a way that you could make it carry the D-21?  I know the M-21 was the 2 seater version of the A-12 , but you would know better than me if you can easily make that a changeable option on this craft?

2 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

How are you finding the resin printer (& handling and storing the resin)?

Although I have not printed any part yet I can tell that the printing time takes tooooo long (with 0.05mm layers!..) and post processing is very messy. Also the resin itself and cleaning liquid are hazardous. Last but not least the cleaned resin parts must be cured under the sun for a while. To cure parts at home you need uv lamp.

The remaining resin must be filtered to remove any residuals and kept in dark storage.  The recommended shelf life is around 1 year.

But the print quality worths all these pains:

Daniel-Noree-FlashForge-Hunter-DLP-High-

ring.png?w=800

Comparison-between-PLA-printing-left-and

The last picture shows the quality difference between PLA and resin printing.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 9

3 minutes ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

work looks to be progressing well :) 

If this is going to be an A-12, will you be likewise producing or designing the model in such a way that you could make it carry the D-21?  I know the M-21 was the 2 seater version of the A-12 , but you would know better than me if you can easily make that a changeable option on this craft?

Once the base model is completed I will create the 3D models for all derivatives as well (including A12-B, YF-12 and Sr-71A big tail).

Serkan

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

Although I have not printed any part yet I can tell that the printing time takes tooooo long (with 0.05mm layers!..)

Serkan - it all depends upon part orientation.  I too have the Elegoo Mars and I usually print with .03, or even .02 layer height.  

if you haven't already, look into getting a copy of Photon File Validator to check your output from Chitubox.  Chitubox can be finicky and do not rely on it to add all the required supports.  You will need to manually check your slice file and add supports where necessary - this is where Photon comes in very handy.

Photon will find and identify unsupported islands and you can switch between Photon and Chitubox to add supports as required, reslice the file and recheck with Photon.  

It's worth the extra effort to prevent failed prints

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1