1/72nd Italeri Hercules C.3P long fuselage conversion,.....RAF Lyneham Transport Wing 1980`s**FINISHED**.

tonyot

That has come out a treat Tony, something to be well proud of. I had a bit of panic thinking I had missed 4 months of the thread then discovered it'd been awol for nearly that long, phew, panic over.

My own experience of them is near zero but I've always enjoyed them at shows & the like. A huge treat was seeing three of them flying below me after crossing a ridge on a road to the south of here. This was before we got kicked out of ANZUS, & there was a Air Force transport exercise on. 3 of them in a loose vic, lead by a local one, the others being RAAF & USAF from memory, of course no camera or time to use it if I had one. Gave me a huge buzz though. :)

Steve

• Like 1

16 hours ago, peterburns said:

Mine is also a C.3.  I'll try to get a picture or two.  

Nice one,..... here is the underside pic you wanted for what it is worth;

DSCF8846-NEW.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That has come out a treat Tony, something to be well proud of. I had a bit of panic thinking I had missed 4 months of the thread then discovered it'd been awol for nearly that long, phew, panic over.

My own experience of them is near zero but I've always enjoyed them at shows & the like. A huge treat was seeing three of them flying below me after crossing a ridge on a road to the south of here. This was before we got kicked out of ANZUS, & there was a Air Force transport exercise on. 3 of them in a loose vic, lead by a local one, the others being RAAF & USAF from memory, of course no camera or time to use it if I had one. Gave me a huge buzz though. :)

Steve

Thanks Steve,.... so glad you like it mate. No I had 4 months of very severe back pain and associated modelling block,...... but I bounced back as usual! 

Nice experience seeing them below you,..... I`ve done the same in the Welsh mountains,.... and sometimes it is better to just savour the experience rather than fumbling and panicking for a camera! It is those occasions which you remember most,..... like my experience with the Harvard flying right behind our tail gate!

Cheers mate

Tony

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 9:07 AM, andyf117 said:

A RNZAF Flt Lt on an exchange tour was the captain - the crew were at Mildenhall for a couple of days being hosted by the 317 TAW (Holbein's Hooligans - I still have the T-shirt, and patch on my flight suit!) who were the resident TDY unit at the time...

....we went to Lyneham the hard way - low-level via the Welsh valleys, with me standing with my head in the astrodome, looking up at sheep on the valley sides!

My photos taken on the Lyneham flight line show a mix of wrap-around and LAG undersides with black and white codes respectively - and the 1,000,000 Hrs legend and tail marking on the port side of XV298 too...

XV298 didn’t have 1 million hours on the airframe, it represent 1 million total hours for the RAF Hercules fleet at the time.

Canada has what are called the “lead the fleet” aircraft.  Lockheed monitors our aircraft for failures in the remainder of the fleet as we hav the highest airframe hours on the Hercules.

We recently retired the highest airframe aircraft to our national museum.

Edited by Scooby

17 hours ago, tonyot said:

Thanks Steve,.... so glad you like it mate. No I had 4 months of very severe back pain and associated modelling block,...... but I bounced back as usual! 

Nice experience seeing them below you,..... I`ve done the same in the Welsh mountains,.... and sometimes it is better to just savour the experience rather than fumbling and panicking for a camera! It is those occasions which you remember most,..... like my experience with the Harvard flying right behind our tail gate!

Cheers mate

Tony

We had that a good long while back above Thirlmere.

We'd been pottering about Coniston Water and were driving up to Keswick past Helvellyn and I had a mad urge to pop up Helvellyn, as you do, so we parked up at a lay-by and began a bit of a scramble over a bobwire fence and up a small rill.

About fifty yards up Gwyn convinced me this was a dumb idea, she was right of course so we turned round and just as i passed her (to be underneath should she slip on the wet pebbles) we heard the roar of engines down along a quite misty Thirlmere.

We saw her fin first as she tracked North and broke out of a very light clag just where we were, a lovely RAF C-130 storming north and what a sight that was.

In defence of the crew it had been a sunny day and we'd seen the water clearly all along but as we got further north a mist closed in presumably spoiling a low level training flight.

He did climb (He? Who knows it could have been a lady driver, we know one of those ourselves huh?) up and into the sun, gave us a great memory.

Like your Herk does Tony, well done.

• Like 1

On 18/05/2020 at 06:41, fatalbert said:

On a k and H, on each set of props,one of them has a small yellow dot.We turn the blades by hand until the blade with this dot is at the top.I did ask a sumpy why but i cant recall the answer,i think its to do with the oil in the prop mechanism but not sure.Something to do with preventing the oil pooling i think.To turn the props by hand you turn the prop back slightly,this unlocks them, you then immediately turn them in the opposite direction until the desired position is reached.There is a pole you can use to do this but its easier just to get a set of steps and do it manually.On  J airframe this procedure isnt required.

Neil

Very nice build Tony. Had one a few years ago when I first got back into the hobby but the skills weren't up to scratch. Making me think I should get one again.

On No.1 blade (identified by the prop assembly serial number) is the Beta Feedback gear which tells the Prop Valve Housing which angle the blades are at. To prevent this gear getting gummed up by any leaking hyd oil we would "dress" the props with No.1 blade at either 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock position keeping it up out of the way but also letting us get the engine bungs in and out.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

That is absolutely beautiful!  Somehow the fuselage stretch makes the Herc. an elegant aircraft. Congratulations.

Colin

Thanks Colin,..... yeah I have always thought the stretched ones look more elegant too. 

12 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Awesome job Tony, nice to see it finished! :thumbsup:

Thanks Ray,..... yeah finally got there mate! 

6 hours ago, perdu said:

We had that a good long while back above Thirlmere.

We'd been pottering about Coniston Water and were driving up to Keswick past Helvellyn and I had a mad urge to pop up Helvellyn, as you do, so we parked up at a lay-by and began a bit of a scramble over a bobwire fence and up a small rill.

About fifty yards up Gwyn convinced me this was a dumb idea, she was right of course so we turned round and just as i passed her (to be underneath should she slip on the wet pebbles) we heard the roar of engines down along a quite misty Thirlmere.

We saw her fin first as she tracked North and broke out of a very light clag just where we were, a lovely RAF C-130 storming north and what a sight that was.

In defence of the crew it had been a sunny day and we'd seen the water clearly all along but as we got further north a mist closed in presumably spoiling a low level training flight.

He did climb (He? Who knows it could have been a lady driver, we know one of those ourselves huh?) up and into the sun, gave us a great memory.

Like your Herk does Tony, well done.

Thanks Perdu,...... what a great memory,...... and it is beautiful there to begin with anyway. 

5 hours ago, Derek B said:

Nice work Tony, it looks brilliant :thumbsup::clap2:

Derek

Thanks Derek, glad you like it mate,....ta. 

5 hours ago, Jay Gee said:

Very nice build Tony. Had one a few years ago when I first got back into the hobby but the skills weren't up to scratch. Making me think I should get one again.

On No.1 blade (identified by the prop assembly serial number) is the Beta Feedback gear which tells the Prop Valve Housing which angle the blades are at. To prevent this gear getting gummed up by any leaking hyd oil we would "dress" the props with No.1 blade at either 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock position keeping it up out of the way but also letting us get the engine bungs in and out.

Thanks mate,..... yeah I`m not air or ground crew but I`m aware of a yellow dot on one blade which needs to be at the top and for the blades to be dressed, I even dressed the feathered prop just in case!! I don`t remember how they dressed it on the ground,...... but the sight of it just stood still out there through the fuselage window flying at low level was quite sobering and is imprinted on my memory! 

This model replaced one that I had built some time ago (a standard short fuselage Herk) and I found it so much easier and was able to do much more with it,...... just shows how your modelling changes over 20 years. 

All the best

Tony 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Excellent Herk! Well done Tony. I can appreciate the research, as well as the great build! It’s a treat to hear someone’s association with a particular aircraft they modelled. They are a 3D snippet of a point in time and a marvel to behold. I built that kit on commission, many years ago, in RCAF markings. I really think that you have caressed that kit into a beautiful Herk. The yellow/red dash walkways really add to the paint scheme. Ray at 26 decals, is doing the yellow/red and black/red walkways  I have a soft spot for that scheme, it was the most tasteful looking camouflage on a Herk in my opinion. The crud ‘n’ custard takes a close second, and I have 26’s decal set for the new Zvezda Herk. Again, beautiful work on the mighty Herk! :)

Jeff 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 5:47 AM, MrB17 said:

Excellent Herk! Well done Tony. I can appreciate the research, as well as the great build! It’s a treat to hear someone’s association with a particular aircraft they modelled. They are a 3D snippet of a point in time and a marvel to behold. I built that kit on commission, many years ago, in RCAF markings. I really think that you have caressed that kit into a beautiful Herk. The yellow/red dash walkways really add to the paint scheme. Ray at 26 decals, is doing the yellow/red and black/red walkways  I have a soft spot for that scheme, it was the most tasteful looking camouflage on a Herk in my opinion. The crud ‘n’ custard takes a close second, and I have 26’s decal set for the new Zvezda Herk. Again, beautiful work on the mighty Herk! :)

Jeff 

Thanks Jeff,.... that is very kind of you mate. Thanks for the info about Ray doing the walkway decals too,..... that should hopefully sell well and I may get a few sets as I have a few more RAF Herk`s planned with the lovely Zvesda kit. I have a crud and custard one planned,..... after I do a grey and green one with the grey undersides,.... I may go for XV215 `Fat Slags',.... but I`ll add the titles and serial in the correct style.

All the best

Tony

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J Sherratt said:

That's a cracking model, like it a lot - John

Thanks John,..... much appreciated mate. 

Cheers

Tony