1/72nd Italeri Hercules C.3P long fuselage conversion,.....RAF Lyneham Transport Wing 1980`s**FINISHED**.

tonyot

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Tony,

Don't know how I missed this build, but she's looking great! Love the scheme! I can't imagine trying to paint such a big model with a hairy stick, but you certainly have the touch! BTW, don't  forget which open container you have there in front of you to stick your paint brush back into, or your coffee is going to taste like Xtracrylix instead of French vanilla! :giggle:

Mike

BTW- what's with the prop on the number two engine? My Herk knowledge is a little rusty, seeing as how the last one I built was in 1960 using the Revell boxscale C-130A in our 516th TCW  markings- my Dad was the personnel officer for the wing and we were at Dyess AB in Texas- they traded them for brand-new C-130E's right after we got there. I recall the pilots didn't like them nearly as  much as the A's- more capable to be sure, but the A's were hotrods and really nimble, compared the the 'trucks,' as they called them. Anyway, do the props go to the feathered or zero thrust setting after shutdown, or do they stay at the setting they were in when powered down?

I love this model!  Actually, to answer the question, the props on the E/H do not automatically feather after shutdown.  The pilots generally set the blades to a 0 thrust setting just before shutdown.  Ground personnel manually "neaten" the props by hand-turning them to be cross-wise in exactly the way Tony has depicted.  Something obviously went wrong with #2 engine, and we'll see what Tony has to say about it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What a great build thread and some excellent background info. I remember seeing an early C-130 in the original camo scheme at RAF Gatow in '66 or '67. I really want to build one as a trip down memory lane.

• Like 1

Hi Tony

Wow she is looking very impressive indeed in both size and look and you have, as always done a cracking job.  I always seem to suffer with some silvering when adding line decals despite a glossy finish too only on the lines though.  And cockpit dust , it is a pain.  I got some in the Boston prior to painting in the front glazing and luckily was able to run some water from the tap in shake it about and let it drain and that worked. I wouldn't recommend shaking this beauty about though.  I hope you are able to remedy fella.

Great build

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 3:09 AM, bigbadbadge said:

And cockpit dust , it is a pain.

@tonyot

I just had a thought.  (Yes, it does happen, although not very often!) I wonder, if before fixing the transparency to the model, you sprayed the inside with one of those anti-static sprays the electronics types use, or maybe wiped the inside with an anti-static cloth that used to be popular to keep dust off of vinyl records?(Remember those? Younglings will have a very puzzled look on their faces at this point.) Just a thought. Only build I recall having this happening to me was the pilot's canopy on my 1/72 Revell A-20C, but was able to blow air through the open gunner's  station and clear it. I usually do all of my single-engined  models with the hood open, so no problem there. My only  completed multi's have been the Frog Mosquito BMK IV, the Frog DH Hornet, an Airfix B-24J converted to a Ploesti Raid  B-24D using the Revell B-24D nose section, and the afore-mentioned A-20. (Does that give you any idea how old those builds were?)

Mike

• Like 2

On 5/16/2020 at 1:00 AM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

I love this model!  Actually, to answer the question, the props on the E/H do not automatically feather after shutdown.  The pilots generally set the blades to a 0 thrust setting just before shutdown.  Ground personnel manually "neaten" the props by hand-turning them to be cross-wise in exactly the way Tony has depicted.  Something obviously went wrong with #2 engine, and we'll see what Tony has to say about it!

Thanks mate,....... the story behind the feathered prop is that we had an engine go at low level on the way to a jump and they scrubbed the jump and returned to Lyneham with the prop feathered,.......we`d have rather have got out beleve me,....and it was the only time on a flight that I`ve seen a fan stop turning.  We landed with the prop feathered like this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/16/2020 at 7:13 AM, DonH said:

What a great build thread and some excellent background info. I remember seeing an early C-130 in the original camo scheme at RAF Gatow in '66 or '67. I really want to build one as a trip down memory lane.

Thanks mate,..... yeah the original camo is pretty cool too,....... I like the later version with the tactical roundels and matt desert camo too and I have one planned in that scheme.  

On 5/16/2020 at 7:31 AM, Sabrejet said:

That's got to be the best RAF Herc I've seen modelled: great job. I like that you have No.2 feathered too.

Thank you very much indeed,...... that is quite a statement! Glad you like the feathered prop,.....it just commemorates a time when we had an engine failure in flight and the crew had to feather the prop.

On 5/16/2020 at 9:09 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Tony

Wow she is looking very impressive indeed in both size and look and you have, as always done a cracking job.  I always seem to suffer with some silvering when adding line decals despite a glossy finish too only on the lines though.  And cockpit dust , it is a pain.  I got some in the Boston prior to painting in the front glazing and luckily was able to run some water from the tap in shake it about and let it drain and that worked. I wouldn't recommend shaking this beauty about though.  I hope you are able to remedy fella.

Great build

All the best

Chris

Cheers Chris,.... glad you like it mate. I`m working on ideas and have broken the small windows under the windscreen open to get at the interior,.....I`ve tried blowing through them,...... but think I`ll have to get some air into there somehow.

12 hours ago, perdu said:

My goshagolly (am I allowed to say that nowadays) she looks beautiful.

I bet Debs likes it although we may never know.

Proper job mate.

Cheers Perdu,...... where is Deb`s these days? 

5 hours ago, 72modeler said:

@tonyot

I just had a thought.  (Yes, it does happen, although not very often!) I wonder, if before fixing the transparency to the model, you sprayed the inside with one of those anti-static sprays the electronics types use, or maybe wiped the inside with an anti-static cloth that used to be popular to keep dust off of vinyl records?(Remember those? Younglings will have a very puzzled look on their faces at this point.) Just a thought. Only build I recall having this happening to me was the pilot's canopy on my 1/72 Revell A-20C, but was able to blow air through the open gunner's  station and clear it. I usually do all of my single-engined  models with the hood open, so no problem there. My only  completed multi's have been the Frog Mosquito BMK IV, the Frog DH Hornet, an Airfix B-24J converted to a Ploesti Raid  B-24D using the Revell B-24D nose section, and the afore-mentioned A-20. (Does that give you any idea how old those builds were?)

Mike

Hiy Mike,.... no I didn`t wipe it with any type of cloth,...... it is just the residue from lots of sanding,.....I thought that I`d sealed up the holes in the fuselage but some must have got in through the crew door?  I`ve broken the holes under the windscreen open and need to get some air through them to blow the dust out,....... but not having an air brush that is a problem. I`m working on it,........ oh and the prop blades have all dropped off the spinners,..... the resin isn`t very strong!

So as you can see,.....I`m a bit stalled at the final stage,....... but I won`t let it beat me and I want it finished,...so watch this space!

Cheers for now

Tony

Tony 

• Like 2

On 5/16/2020 at 1:00 AM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

On a k and H, on each set of props,one of them has a small yellow dot.We turn the blades by hand until the blade with this dot is at the top.I did ask a sumpy why but i cant recall the answer,i think its to do with the oil in the prop mechanism but not sure.Something to do with preventing the oil pooling i think.To turn the props by hand you turn the prop back slightly,this unlocks them, you then immediately turn them in the opposite direction until the desired position is reached.There is a pole you can use to do this but its easier just to get a set of steps and do it manually.On  J airframe this procedure isnt required.

Neil

Edited by fatalbert
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, fatalbert said:

On a k and H, on each set of props,one of them has a small yellow dot.We turn the blades by hand until the blade with this dot is at the top.I did ask a sumpy why but i cant recall the answer,i think its to do with the oil in the prop mechanism but not sure.Something to do with preventing the oil pooling i think.To turn the props by hand you turn the prop back slightly,this unlocks them, you then immediately turn them in the opposite direction until the desired position is reached.There is a pole you can use to do this but its easier just to get a set of steps and do it manually.On  J airframe this procedure isnt required.

Neil

Thanks Neil,...... great info.  

The next time I go to Cosford I am going to stare at the props on 202 with a critical eye

Debs, an amazingly volatile lady has even vanished from the 'place' where I first encountered her sadly but I hope she will resurface one day not far away

We usually meet at Telford though, so fingers crossed both for a show and for a re-meet

Props fallen apart, drill and peg the blades

Props fallen apart?

Bloody bad luck

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tonyot said:

the story behind the feathered prop is that we had an engine go at low level on the way to a jump and they scrubbed the jump and returned to Lyneham with the prop feathered

There's logic for you, making you stay on board a broken aircraft when you insist on jumping out of perfectly good ones!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

There's logic for you, making you stay on board a broken aircraft when you insist on jumping out of perfectly good ones!

Exactly what we thought too,......but that is the RAF for you,......... although I can understand it really,...... we were still en route to the DZ and then flying slowly at 600-800 feet on 3 engines to carry out the drop cannot be very safe I suppose.   

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have not forgotten about this one,...... been getting rid of all the dust and rubbish from inside the cockpit and also doing some remedial touch up painting as well as repairing the propellers after some of the blades broke off,....... but got a lot done today and almost there now,..... I`ve even started a USAF MC-130E!!

DSCF8710-NEW.jpg

• Like 19

She does look nice.  Starting another one?  That will look good.  I wouldn’t mind another one but my 1/48 is a sizeable beast & I don’t know where I would keep it.  But I have been watching Hercs flying about from a Mildenhall and Marshalls since the late 70s

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 71chally said:

Superb work Tony, it really does look stunning, can see how much hard work has gone into it.

Of course now that you have nearly finished the brand new Zvezda kit is almost on the shelves!

Sods law mate,..... although I am looking forward to the Zvesda kit,.... I want to build a grey bottomed mid 80`s aircraft, a Light Stone. Dark Earth/ Black 1970`s one and maybe an all green 1990`s one,..... so that is three kits for a start! I have a few Italeri kits stashed away and they might be RAAF & RCAF ones now? Glad you like the C.3,.... there are plenty of mistakes if you look closely LOL

3 hours ago, bar side said:

She does look nice.  Starting another one?  That will look good.  I wouldn’t mind another one but my 1/48 is a sizeable beast & I don’t know where I would keep it.  But I have been watching Hercs flying about from a Mildenhall and Marshalls since the late 70s

It was seeing a pair of Herk`s flying from Mildenhall last month that made me want to build a USAF one! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonyot said:

It was seeing a pair of Herk`s flying from Mildenhall last month that made me want to build a USAF one! 

I work under the circuits for the Hall & see them & the KC-135s almost daily.  But a year or so back I drove along the A-14 & watched a pair - presumably out of a Marshalls - tail chasing heading east.  That was great to see.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bar side said:

I work under the circuits for the Hall & see them & the KC-135s almost daily.  But a year or so back I drove along the A-14 & watched a pair - presumably out of a Marshalls - tail chasing heading east.  That was great to see.

The two that I saw took off and headed off out to the coast at low level one after the other in loose formation just as night was falling,..... just thinking that had some fun and hard work ahead of them,..... brought some memories back too. The new J`s don`t leave half as much smoke behind them as the old `Legacy' variants,..... I hate how they use words like that for aeroplanes,..... too much business talk in modern air forces! 

• Like 4

Nice work Tony, and good memories as well - I thought that you may have been RAF Regiment at first, but can clearly see that you are not. In a past life, I used to pack PX.4 and PX.5 parachutes (as well as heavy supply drop parachutes).

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek Bradshaw
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1