1/72nd Italeri Hercules C.3P long fuselage conversion,.....RAF Lyneham Transport Wing 1980`s**FINISHED**.

tonyot

Right then,...... thanks for the update Rob,..... much appreciated. 

A bit more progress,....... the in flight refuelling probe has been fitted,...... because the fuselage has been stretched I needed some more ducting so used sprue and you can see where filler was applied at the sides to fill in the gap due to it being rounded,... please excuse the chink of daylight,.... but we don`t get much of it up here and I thought that I would show off LOL;

DSCF7074-NEW.jpg

DSCF7075.jpg

Then the model received a rattle can coat of Humbrol 27 Dark Sea Grey to highlight any blemishes. I`ve run out of the stuff,..... so I`ll be applying a brushed on coat on top of this,..... prior to moving on;

DSCF7077-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 16

1 hour ago, kev67 said:

Looking really good Tony, could you not use Halfords grey primer, or even Tamiya fine grey primer which is excellent stuff

Thanks Kev,..... I just used the nearest rattle can colour that I had in stock to the colour that will be he base coat of the camouflage,..... that way I don`t have to brush on as many coats. I might even have just stuck with the Humbrol Dark Sea Grey as the camouflage base coat colour,..... but I just needed another coat for that and the can ran out!  I`ll run over this with a fine grit sanding block and then start painting.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya Folks,

Well I`ve applied the Dark Sea Grey to the model and I`ve been spending time researching the camouflage pattern applied to the Hercules C.3,..... which was slightly different to the short fuselage variant, so I have been hitting the books and Google images to work out the slight diferences and where the demarcations lie. There is a `blob'  of Dark Sea Grey on top of the fuselage above the para doors and on the right side of the forward fuselage there is a section of Dark Sea Grey let into the Dark Green,....... but I have been unable to determine the exact demarcation below the fuselage,....... I think I`m almost there and should start painting the Dark Green soon.

In the meantime,...... I have done a bit on the small 1/200th scale Herk and here it is so far;

DSCF7079.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 9

Hiya Folks,..... and I have started to paint the stretched Herk,...... thing is,.... I`m on my last bottle of Dark Green and  don`t think I`ll have enough,...... so I`ll have to find another source;

DSCF7080.jpg

The official RAF paint guide for the short fuselage Herk came in very handy,.... and along with photos of the real aircraft as reference I`ll hopefully get the scheme OK?

In case they are of any use,.....here are the plans,... remember,.... that like wartime RAF drawings,..... the Dark Green colour is shown in white while the lighter Dark Sea Grey colour is hatched,...... just to catch out the unwary! For the original Light Stone/ Dark Earth scheme,.... the hatched area would be Dark Earth and the white areas Light Stone;

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5

10 hours ago, perdu said:

Very useful Tony thank you

The Herc is looking very good and it's been enjoyable reading watching it come along

Thanks Perdu,.... no worries and glad you are enjoying it so far. 

Hiya Folks,...... another update,..

I`ve got the camouflage pattern on now and applied a couple of coats,...... however the Dark Green is my last ever bottle and it is rather streaky,....... so I`m undecided whether to try with a third coat,....... or use another paint such as Xtracrylix or Humbrol?

DSCF7082.jpg

DSCF7083.jpg

I also managed to snap off the refuelling probe,..... so that will be refitted at the end. 

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Silver Fox said:

Looking great Tony, I looked and I haven't any left either. Must be 15 years old, so  it has lasted well. I quite like  the new Tamiya Dark Green, used it on my Javelin recently.

Take care

Andy

Cheers Andy,..... I appreciate you looking pal,..... didn`t expect that! 

Take care yourself mate and have a great Christmas,..... hopefully see you at Bolton in January,

Cheers

Tony

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the delay,...... been a bit sidelined lately what with running out of paint and other things,.....but back on with it now,....... the Dark Green camo has been given an extra coat (thanks to a heads up by Gregg, ) and the nose has been painted black too,...... then Humbrol 35 Gloss Varnish was brushed on ready for the decals.

For decals I`m using an Xtraecal set for the 35th Anniversary RAF Herk complete with wing walk markings (and some spare for the extra fuselage length) plus Modeldecal/Xtradecal letters, numbers and titles for the serial/codes etc.

DSCF7229.jpg

As you can see the tip of the refuelling probe has snapped off and to be fair it lasted longer than I expected,..... it will be stuck back on at the end of construction! 

Cheers for now

Tony 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Hi Tony,

what a great build with a lot of references. I'm always impressed what a nice finish can be created with hairy sticks. Something I'll try to achieve someday.

The final result will be stunning for sure.

Markus

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Shorty84 said:

Hi Tony,

what a great build with a lot of references. I'm always impressed what a nice finish can be created with hairy sticks. Something I'll try to achieve someday.

The final result will be stunning for sure.

Markus

Thanks Markus. ..... well I hope it will look OK anyway!! 

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

Great to see it back on mate, looking great :)

Cheers Neil. ....I`ll get there eventually,.....not as quickly as your Halibag is going mind you! 

Superb work and really well finished not an easy task with something that big!  Great to see all that research and information being presented here for us.

Got to ask @tonyot, I notice your images are embedded in the forum posts, rather than using a picture host, I didn't know that you could do that, how do you do it?

• Like 1

On 3/2/2020 at 8:46 AM, Lord Riot said:

That's a damn fine looking Albert! Paintwork looks spot on, very tidy. 

Thanks very much,...... nice of you to say so.

On 3/2/2020 at 9:02 AM, 71chally said:

Superb work and really well finished not an easy task with something that big!  Great to see all that research and information being presented here for us.

Got to ask @tonyot, I notice your images are embedded in the forum posts, rather than using a picture host, I didn't know that you could do that, how do you do it?

Thanks mate,...... glad it is of interest. For the photos I`m using a photo host called Postimage.org and so far it has been great. 

On 3/2/2020 at 11:45 AM, Shashman said:

Love this topic!

Fascinating reading it all from such a personal level, complete with personal photos. Always adds so much depth and reason to a build.

Following closely mate 👌

Thanks,..... yes it is a personal subject to me and you go the extra mile! 

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 1

Hi Tony

Bit late to the party, been catching up today in between doing the house and wiring my son's model railway layout.  Great work fella, the Her looks lovely and what a background too.

Keep up the good work fella

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Tony

Bit late to the party, been catching up today in between doing the house and wiring my son's model railway layout.  Great work fella, the Her looks lovely and what a background too.

Keep up the good work fella

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris,...... hopefully some more progress soon!

Hiya Folks,

I`m getting there slowly,...... I`ve been cutting out the serials, titles and other decals needed for the model, which will represent XV294;

DSCF7266.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 9

Hiya Folks,..... I had a marathon decalling session today;

DSCF7270.jpg

DSCF7271.jpg

And here it is with the decals finished,...... some have silvered unfortunately;

DSCF7272.jpg

DSCF7274.jpg

DSCF7275.jpg

Next job is to finish off painting the props and to assemble them, then the undercarriage will be fitted to the model. I have to admit that the decalling has been a bit of a mental stumbling point with this one!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1