1/72nd Italeri Hercules C.3P long fuselage conversion,.....RAF Lyneham Transport Wing 1980`s**FINISHED**.

tonyot

1 hour ago, merlin101 said:

Great subject Tony! I was at Lyneham working in the SE section late 90 til 94, best years in my RAF career spent there. Did a lot of flying especially with the SF flight!

Dave

Hiya Dave,.... didn`t realise you were in SE!......... Those SF Lad`s can fly can`t they!!! Yeah I liked Lyneham,.... it was always a treat to go there,......although the transit accommodation was a bit rough, the Wessex Club made up for it! By the time you got there all of the OR blocks would have been refurbished so happy days,...... I remember everybody moaning about the accommodation in the 80`s,..... although everybody loved their job! 

All the best mate

Tony

On 25/11/2019 at 00:12, tonyot said:

Nice one,..... yeah did the same with radio mikes and waiting on in the mess was always a laugh when you had stroppy Sgt`s/Officers,....and their wives,.... because we did get our own back by rimming glasses, altering food etc,..... which is why I will NEVER send food back in a restaurant. I was once ordered to make the CO a brew on exercise with a "hey you,.....make me a cup of tea",..... well,.... red rag to a bull! I pee`ed into a metal cup, stuck in a tea bag,....boiled it,....added loads of sugar and milk and took it over,...... the CO had a good swill,..... passed it to the RSM,.... then the 2 i/c and it was passed around the entire head shed! They were all shaking their heads,....spitting it out and my mates were almost dying as they were laughing so much,..... me,.... I thought I was going to Colchester,.....especially when the Razz Man shouted "O`Toole,....get over here"!! The CO was apoplectic,.... and his voice went up a few octaves (it was already quite high) when he told me it was the worst brew he had ever tasted and had I "used salt rather than sugar"!!! Whew,.... yes sir,..... oh sorry sir,...... I went and made a superb brew (in the same cup) and the world was good again! I also set fire to the RSM`s Maroon beret and hid his SMG in the field shitter (I cocked it too!) but that is another story!! 

Cheers

Tony 

Cracking story that, made me laugh. Mrs was grossed out when I told her so added bonus there! 😂 Makes me wonder now about the salty apple crumble we got served as ATC cadets at Odiham once though. I'd assumed some daft RAF cook had mixed up salt and sugar, but maybe they peed in the custard! The 6 hours flying I got in Pumas more than made up for it though. 

Brilliant thread this, keep the stories coming chaps. Enjoying seeing the Herc progressing too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Cracking story that, made me laugh. Mrs was grossed out when I told her so added bonus there! 😂 Makes me wonder now about the salty apple crumble we got served as ATC cadets at Odiham once though. I'd assumed some daft RAF cook had mixed up salt and sugar, but maybe they peed in the custard! The 6 hours flying I got in Pumas more than made up for it though. 

Brilliant thread this, keep the stories coming chaps. Enjoying seeing the Herc progressing too.

A few of my mates were cooks and you really don`t want to know what they do to make the custard salty,...... believe me!! We used to wind up Army Cadets when we took them out by going through the ration packs with them and teaching them about everything,..... when it came to the IZOL toilet paper we used to show them how to fold it just right, then tear a hole in the corner,...... so that when they used it their finger would go right through the hole,......LOL,.... most of them fell for it too!! Cruel eh? Especially when there are no nearby sinks to wash your hands afterwards!! 

Glad you are enjoying the thread mate and I love the Puma too,..... I got a GOC`s Commendation for a casevac in one in Turkey,..... but better still,.... they took me up next day as co-pilot,...... what an experience and I love 33 Sqn for it,.... and guess who ran out of camera film after 2 photos,.... so when our three Pumas flew formation with 4 German CH-53`s I just had to sit back and enjoy it!!

IMG-20160127-0001-0004.jpg

Turkey-92-Puma-pilot-2.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

when it came to the IZOL toilet paper we used to show them how to fold it just right, then tear a hole in the corner,...... so that when they used it their finger would go right through the hole

Didn’t you tear a bit off the corner for cleaning under your finger nail after?🤢🤮

• Haha 3

On 11/24/2019 at 7:41 PM, tonyot said:

I`d like to have opened it up, with para doors slid up, para step deployed and top ramp door opened with a wedge in place,...... but the interior of the cargo hold will be a mess as the floor isn`t long enough for the added sections too,...... so I`ll paint it black and close it up. I did the AUM Para Wedge trial (we called them speed drop trials) onto Breakheart Bottom on Otterburn Training Area,..... but didn`t do the one into Denmark. It was like doing a round with Frank Bruno in that slipstream and we were all shaking our heads on the ground,.... one lad had a tear in his canopy!! 

Pete was lucky to survive the Harvard running into a parachute,.... crikey,.... I bet it was a bang too. 

I`m an ex Medic so I`ve probably done every vomit trick in the book,..... plus the pee and poo ones too LOL!! I used to gross the nurses out in A&E during the ambulance strike while handing them sick bags or pee bottles,..... then consuming the contents,.... which I`d planted in advance of course,....veg soup like you say and lager for pee which I`d froth up!! 

All the best

Tony 

Waste of Lager if you ask me but then matelot will do just about anything for a laugh especially if it upsets the other service 🤣

1 hour ago, junglierating said:

Waste of Lager if you ask me but then matelot will do just about anything for a laugh especially if it upsets the other service 🤣

LOL,.... Oh no,.....I drank every drop,...... otherwise it would be a beer crime!! Made sure the pee bottle was brand new and just removed from the packaging first mind you!! 

• Haha 3

Right,.... another quick update....

I`m not going to town on the interior,.... so the basic cockpit is OK for me, although I may add a little more later, who knows,.. including a few White Cookhouse Scran Boxes on the bunk along with loads of other junk. Here is the cockpit painted up;

DSCF7036.jpg

DSCF7037.jpg

While the main cargo bay was painted black,...... by brushing on Humbrol enamel 33,....... the flight deck area was painted using Medium Sea Grey and Sky/Beige Green;

DSCF7041.jpg

And the parts dry fitted in place,.... as you can see I have used a prop on the rear resin plug,.... I intend to add more to strengthen the centre section and add a wing spar too;

DSCF7040.jpg

DSCF7038.jpg

DSCF7039.jpg

DSCF7042.jpg

So the next job now is the rescribe the fuselage halves and sand the seams of the resin plugs, filling where needed (which will be quite a lot I suspect!) and also to add plastic packing to the gap under the front plug and smooth the mating edges,..... so lots to be going on at yet!

Cheers for now,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 14

Looking good so far !  On mine, I found it necessary to add 3 large fishing weights to the forward bulkhead with brass wire (where they wouldn't be seen) to prevent a tail sitter, about 43 grams.

IMG_0280

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Tail-Dragon said:

Looking good so far !  On mine, I found it necessary to add 3 large fishing weights to the forward bulkhead with brass wire (where they wouldn't be seen) to prevent a tail sitter, about 43 grams.

Cheers mate,...... I`ve not fully decided whether to display it on a stand with the u/c up or on its wheels yet. I do have some lead weight to add in the nose plus a large weight to mount in the forward section of the closed cabin, but rather than stress the airframe,...... a tail stand wouldn`t look out of place either,...... as you can probably guess I am winging this one as I go along!!  Good idea wiring them up like that! 

Edited by tonyot

Another update,....... spent all day on the Hek today and yet it doesn`t look like I`ve done much!!

First I added some scaffolding using runners from the kit as props! I also added plastic card to the seams to strengthen them too,....... I may have to re think the forward fuselage due to the small section of floor?;

DSCF7043.jpg

Most of my time has been taken up sanding the seams of the plugs and rescribing the panel lines,....... and sanding,....and scribing,....and sanding,...etc! I drilled holes into the fuselage and wings to receive a spar made from more scrap sprue too. The resin plugs have not been a good fit and I have gaps in the top of the fuselage plus a large one in the forward belly section which has been filled with scrap plastic;

DSCF7045.jpg

DSCF7046.jpg

To check the sanding and scribing I added a thin sprayed coat of Humbrol rattle can Dark Sea Grey,.... although I was losing the daylight for photography..;

DSCF7048.jpg

DSCF7050.jpg

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 18

Oh, that's looking good!  The resin plugs blended in seamlessly!  Are you going to add the refueling probe seen in your photo's? That will make it a challenge to find display cabinet space.

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Looks good from down here in Lincs!

Cheers Pete!

3 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

Oh, that's looking good!  The resin plugs blended in seamlessly!  Are you going to add the refueling probe seen in your photo's? That will make it a challenge to find display cabinet space.

Thanks mate,..... don`t know about seamless,..... we`ll see! Yes I will be adding the refuelling probe and most likely going for the wrap around camouflage scheme as it was altered slightly on the longer C.3P`s? 

All the best,

Tony 

• Like 1

If you're going to have the Crew Door open, be aware the walkway through the FS245 bulkhead is way too low the way Italeri have made it. It should be about 6' high.

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,..... another update!

Well I joined the fuselage last night after putting lots of weight into the nose and forward cargo bay,.... I also beefed up the wing spar with a thicker, longer section of sprue;

DSCF7055-NEW.jpg

And the wings are test fitted;

DSCF7053-NEW.jpg

I`ll leave the glue to dry a bit before carrying on with sanding,

Cheers,

Tony  

• Like 12

Hiya Folks,...... another update,......

Fuselage sanded and filler applied to the seams,.... the cockpit windows are in place (having been masked and painted with the interior pale green colour) and so are the tailgate cargo doors,.... which I should really have attached when after the tail was cut off and before the resin plug was inserted,..... as I had to shave them down a touch. The horizontal tailplane is in place too and the wheels have been partially painted and sanded down;

DSCF7060.jpg

DSCF7063.jpg

And the wings have been dry fitted here again,...... I`ll attach these after the fuselage seams have been sanded as it makes things easier;

DSCF7062.jpg

Cheers

Tony.

• Like 18

Hiya Folks,.... another update,....... I`ve expended copious amounts of elbow grease while sanding the fuselage!!! The wings are now fitted too but need the seams  along the roots filling and sanding yet. The resin engine nacelles have been dry fitted and slot superbly into place,...... the inboard left engine nacelle section of the wing has been sanded back to make the engines level,... while the right hand nacelle has been left untouched for now just to show how the engine incorrectly sits forward;

DSCF7068-NEW.jpg

DSCF7069.jpg

DSCF7070.jpg

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 20

Got a bit more done today and as the longer fuselage requires additional piping for the refuelling probe assembly,..... I sanded down a section of sprue to do the job. I`ve also sanded the model down again, attached the resin engines (also cutting down the two inner engine nacelles) so hopefully get the probe attached over the weekend and start painting. I`ve gone and lost the crew entrance door,...... don`t think I have a spares box one either,...... so I`ll make a new skin from plastic card instead.

For anybody interested,....... this model is replacing one of my old RAF Herk`s,...... which I recently refurbished and presented to my local Para Regt. Association;

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

On 12/3/2019 at 6:09 PM, tonyot said:

Hiya Folks,...... another update,......

Fuselage sanded and filler applied to the seams,.... the cockpit windows are in place (having been masked and painted with the interior pale green colour) and so are the tailgate cargo doors,.... which I should really have attached when after the tail was cut off and before the resin plug was inserted,..... as I had to shave them down a touch. The horizontal tailplane is in place too and the wheels have been partially painted and sanded down;

DSCF7060.jpg

DSCF7063.jpg

And the wings have been dry fitted here again,...... I`ll attach these after the fuselage seams have been sanded as it makes things easier;

DSCF7062.jpg

Cheers

Tony.

Loving this build,do you know about the cabin pressure outflow valve.Its located on the cargo door(not the ramp),as your looking at your photo,there is a hole ,the second skin panel fwd from the back of the cargo door,its on the aircrafts left hand side.its about a foot wide.i can measure it more accurately later in the week if you need me to.its a butterfly valve that opens and shuts during flight regulating the cabin pressure.From the outside its just a hole thats closed off about 5 nches in with the circular butterfly valve.its painted a satin black colour.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fatalbert said:

Loving this build,do you know about the cabin pressure outflow valve.Its located on the cargo door(not the ramp),as your looking at your photo,there is a hole ,the second skin panel fwd from the back of the cargo door,its on the aircrafts left hand side.its about a foot wide.i can measure it more accurately later in the week if you need me to.its a butterfly valve that opens and shuts during flight regulating the cabin pressure.From the outside its just a hole thats closed off about 5 nches in with the circular butterfly valve.its painted a satin black colour.

Thanks mate,...... yes I did note it but have sanded it away when removing the raised panel detail,. .... I intend to paint it on,.... hopefully I won`t forget! I did not know what it was, so thanks for the explanation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, woody37 said:

It’s looking like a herc now, great progress, can’t wait to see some paint on.

Cheers Neil,...... almost there now,...... just need to add the refuelling probe and then start to apply the Dark Sea Grey,..... going for the wrap around scheme I think. 

• Like 2

Well,..... went to the Para Regt Assoc Crimbo doo last night,..... so no modelling this morning LOL!! 

I have laid out the bits that I`ve done so far,.... including the length of sprue to be cut to size for the refuelling probe ducting,...... and the Herk appears to have had a child!!

DSCF7073-NEW.jpg

So we are slowly getting there!

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 10

On 12/7/2019 at 11:50 PM, tonyot said:

do you know about the cabin pressure outflow valve

Actually, that's the Safety Valve - it prevents over-pressure and negative pressure build-up. The Outflow Valve is behind the Navigator's Station in the Flight Deck and exhausts on the forward right hand side of the fuselage (where the grilles are). The valves themselves are black plastic. The Safety Valve should be recessed slightly into the Cargo Door.

• Like 2