Kibri Komatsu mining truck

Will Vale

Hi folks,

I thought you might be interested in the contents of this box of heavy plant:

49099184511_5589846268_b.jpg

There's a stall selling all kinds of Kibri vehicles at our local model railway show, and at the most recent one I cracked and bought one. I wasn't really sure what to expect as some model railway kits are pretty ancient, but in the box this looks rather nice:

49099184691_8996dbdfe9_b.jpg

The mouldings are sharp, there's clear glazing and separate framing so nothing to mask :) It's also got decently fine railings and looks to make up into a suitably impressive vehicle.

The only real problem is the sheet of cut-out stickers rather than decals. And obviously I don't know how well it fits, but I guess I'll find out in due course.

NB: It might be a good companion for my other mining truck!

23735422408_5fc21ac9da_b.jpg

Cheers,

Will

• Like 6

I bought a couple of assembled Kibri crane trucks for parts. It was a job to get a No 11 blade between the mouldings. 

I think if they tried they might give Bandai robot kits a good run for their money.

Prepare to be impressed.

Pete

• Like 1

11 hours ago, armored76 said:

That's a nice one! Are you going to start on this any time soon?

Probably! But I'm a slave to whim and easily distracted. It does look like a nice quick project though.

W

• Like 2

Kibri does very good kits. I've built some for my dad. Perfect fitment, no flash and well thought out construction. Good and very crisp detail. Though it is really typical for railway kits to come with stickers. Usually all the parts do come in their respective colours as well. Seems like painting and decalling is not for the mainstream train enthusiast. This is the same with the building kits I got to build.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, armored76 said:

What would be other manufacturers and scales for this kind of kits (not looking at ready-made collectibales)?

Hasegawa do a very nice range of light plant and agricultural equipment in 1/35. Andy Moore has built some (and hopefully won't mind my linking his images here) and they look terrific:

42170182305_2f727e5b4d_b.jpg

33611622068_694c4bbae3_b.jpg

(click photos to go to Andy's Flickr site for more images)

The scale means that they're limited to smaller prototypes - there's a neat-looking front end loader and a very nice Hitachi ZAXIS 135US excavator. They're all recent releases so the quality is very good, and they seem to be actively expanding the range both as modified editions (new digger attachments) and new toolings like a Yanmar mini-combine for rice harvesting.

Meng do the D9R armoured bulldozer in 1/35, and you can get an aftermarket civvie conversion kit for it.

Takom do a nifty Feldumschlaggeraet (heavy-duty forklift?) in 1/35, as used by the Bundeswehr. I don't think there are many (any?) detail differences from the civvie version and there's a civvie scheme in the painting guide for it.

There are a couple of nice fire appliances from Aoshima in 1/72 and a very cool ultra-modern Rosenbauer airport fire tender from Hasegawa in the same scale? I've built the Aoshima turntable ladder and it fit well, but I haven't painted it yet.

HTH,

Will

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Hasegawa kits are indeed very nice, and good value if you order direct from Japan.

Panda produce a 1/35 HMEE which, underneath the add-on armour, is a JCB Fastrac. Not sure if you can build a civvie version from the box, but it probably wouldn't be too much work to adapt it.

1163712-20627-35-720.jpg

Andy:cat:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's pretty cool, although it's weird seeing a JCB with all four wheels the same size. Maybe I'm behind the times?

I cut out and test-fitted some dumper parts last night, it's not bad but it's a bit crude. Some of the moulded surface detail is really excellent, but the three-dimensional detail is quite simple. There's also a lot of flash/burrs, I think mostly from slide moulds, and some hefty ejector pin marks. It also suffers a bit from large snap-fit alignment pins which go all the way through the parts leaving holes or stubs on the reverse.

The tipper piece is really satisfying though, and it's a good base for further work - I might make new handrails rather than try and clean up the kit ones, although they are rather complicated.

Cheers,

Will

• Thanks 1