1/48 - de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito two-stage merlin resin conversion set for Tamiya kit by Brengun - released

Homebee

Brengun has just released  a 1/48th de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito two-stage merlin resin conversion set (ex -Attack Squadron ? ) - ref. BRL48124 - for the Tamiya keit.

Source: http://www.hauler.cz/e-shop/1-48-accessories-22/dh98-mosquito-two-stage-merlin-(tamiya)-1672

BRL48124.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg&key=454549e46694cda5ab5f

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

On 11/21/2019 at 9:12 AM, Kampartiger said:

All we need is someone to produce the mosquito photo recce canopy,the cameras bulged bay and others to covert the Tamiya kit into a PR machine. 

Paragon did most, if not all, of these items. Unfortunately, they are becoming increasingly hard to find and very expensive when they do turn up.

No exaggeration here. I have five different Mossie two-stages and dislike all of them in varying degrees. None are worthy of the beautiful Tamiya Mosquito.  Is this two stage a re-release?  I have not heard of “attack squadron.”  Can someone please shed some light on this?  Is it really 1/48?? 

Edited by 28ZComeback

Attack Squadron did "Two stage supercharger engines for Mosquito" but 1/72 scale: http://www.attacksquadron.pl/en/2017/03/03/dh-mosquito-172-scale-resin-accessories/

Arma Hobby info"...Attack Squadron brand production has been cancelled....Production rights were sold to Czech company Brengun…"

Brengun 1/72 set (http://www.hauler.cz/e-shop/1-72-accessories-21/dh-98-mosquito-two-stage-merlin-1584)  is cheaper than the set in the title,, so rather definitely Brengun offers 1/48 set as well.

Edited by Wojtek2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/25/2019 at 3:24 AM, 28ZComeback said:

No exaggeration here. I have five different Mossie two-stages and dislike all of them in varying degrees. None are worthy of the beautiful Tamiya Mosquito.  Is this two stage a re-release?  I have not heard of “attack squadron.”  Can someone please shed some light on this?  Is it really 1/48?? 

Agreed - I got the CMK PRXVI set and the engines were totally unusable due to shrinkage. The Paragon set fits, but the detail is on the soft side.

I may have to get one of these sets, but would like to see more close-up shots

• 4 weeks later...

So i`ve been toying with my 72 scale Brengun two stage conversion kit and here is my verdict. First impressions, the resin nacelles appearance is very convincing and is probably the most detailed two stage Merlins so far in this scale. However, i have found they are not a perfect match with the Tamiya kit. Nitpickings to some while more concerning to others, overall i would claim these imperfections to be minor. As a matter of fact, the Brengun nacelles are slightly too narrow for the Tamiya kit. This is seen both at the rear and front of the mating surfaces and i have the pictures to prove it. The rear end of the resin nacelles can be perfectly aligned with the Tamiya undercarriage bays where you made your vertical cuts, but since the nacelles are too narrow, you have to force the resin outwards & into place before gluing sort of offsetting the natural shape/curvature of the resin nacelles ever so slightly. Moving forward to the actual resin nacelles things become a little more complicated. The top cowling panel on the Tamiya kit is too wide to perfectly mate with the Brengun resin. This means the whole length of the nacelles are too narrow and unfortunately i found the Tamiya spinner to be too big for the Brengun nacelle (or the other way around if you prefer) Worth pointing out is the fact that the resin area that mates with the propeller assembly is not perfectly circular. This is the most serious error and is certainly noticeable. Whether or not the two stage Mosquito had smaller size spinners i do not know, but the modeler would almost certainly have to do some surgery in order to obtain a convincing nacelle / prop assembly fit. I did not look at anything other than fit in this rant of mine, so please consider any other such shortcomings at your own discretion. I sincerely hope the link is working. Let me know if it is, thanks.

Updated link here,

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AusFkEm0w30EgQalV7ZO1pG4eoKs

Edited by top turret toddler
  • Like 2

This is a welcome release. Personally I won’t be investing in a set as I already have a couple of sets of the Pangolin models 2 stage conversion set initially produced I believe by BM’s Jason C which look very nice indeed. 

• Like 2

On 11/23/2019 at 3:50 PM, VMA131Marine said:

Paragon did most, if not all, of these items. Unfortunately, they are becoming increasingly hard to find and very expensive when they do turn up.

The exhausts on the Brengun set look a bit fat and weirdly shaped. The cowling panels don't seem to have the Dzus fasteners with the spring clips, and the oil cooler exhaust panels look a bit flat and square. 

Shape wisde, they look OK, but no idea if they are the right length or if they fit.

Edited by 28ZComeback

On 12/20/2019 at 5:36 PM, franky boy said:

This is a welcome release. Personally I won’t be investing in a set as I already have a couple of sets of the Pangolin models 2 stage conversion set initially produced I believe by BM’s Jason C which look very nice indeed. 

They fit pretty well too. They've been a bit of a hit. Jason sold a batch or two himself and we've sold out several also.

resized_631714ae-a492-4153-b20a-ef0497ae

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

They fit pretty well too. They've been a bit of a hit. Jason sold a batch or two himself and we've sold out several also.

resized_631714ae-a492-4153-b20a-ef0497ae

I have both the 48 scale Pangolin & Brengun sets coming in so should be fun to see how they compare. Initial one of course obtained from Sovereign hobbies 😉