1:35 Tamyia Simca 5

I can go on a bit so apologies in advance!

I am building this as part of this

Even though the model is sold as a military staff car and my finished model is destined for a military dio, my intention is to build and finish it as a civilian car. This is mainly as I would like to have something on the dio that isn't green or grey and I would like an exercise in painting. Having done a quick online search there are some quite interesting two tone finishes that the real thing exists in

simca-5-decouvrable-de-1939-112-ag.jpg?f

5-07-620x465.jpeg

lhttp://webmaster.simca.free.fr/modeles.php?id=&ref_mod=10

I assume that these were factory finishes. I haven't decided which two colours to use for the two-tone yet.  What does strike me is that even though this is 1:35 scale, the model is small! This means that putting some of those details on, like the outlining of the radiator in metal isn't going to the simplest of things. I am used to doing stuff in smaller scales (1:76 and 1:87 mainly) - this model is about the size of a 1:76 railway wagon. I know from experience that putting detail on something that size can be challenging!

I have also found a French blog of a rebuild of a 1:1 scale version, which has some very useful details in it. 

I start in anger tonight....

• Like 4

Things I learned tonight - 

1. I need a new pair of sprue cutters. At some point I seem to have abused them and may have used them to have cut something metal as they are notched. Irritating but they are probably getting on for 20 years old so they owe me little.

2. There are some very thin pieces of plastic that make up the suspension of cars. The very first piece I tried to cut off the sprue broke. I think this was a combination of the fineness of the part and knackered sprue cutters. I tried to repair it but I then put on the wrong way round, which brings us to

3. Sometimes instructions can be baffling. The said part was part of the front suspension and how it was shown in the instructions didn't really make any sense. It has been left out! In fact the whole of the front suspension confused me. It also made me swear loud and long when the corner of the left hand side snapped when I applied just a bit too much pressure. I have repaired it but I was decidedly unchuffed.

4. Plastic Weld may have a shelf life. I am used to working with this from railway modelling and have a bottle (of undetermined age). I started using it but it seems not to work. This leads me to believe it may have gone off. I had some Tamyia Thin (the stiff with the green label) which seems to be similar. However I also have a bottle of Humbrol slightly thicker hence the areas with glue patches as I thought it was thinner than it was and was using it like Plastic Weld but it didn't evaporate. Oh well, its the underneath and lesson learned.

Taking the above into consideration, I am pretty happy with my first go at modelling in a while.

49102181712_b3ea0674f5.jpg

I think I am now at a point where I need to do bits of filling and then start painting bits before I go any further. I am currently waiting for a extractor to arrive so won't be doing that until then. Unless I brush paint it....

Edited by Vox Repeater
  • Like 1

sometimes I will make a relief cut on the sprue away from the part to relieve tension (compression?) on the part I am trimming off.

Q: should we be able to access the flickr page? I get a note indicating an invitation needed.

following along; thanks

5 hours ago, s.e.charles said:

sometimes I will make a relief cut on the sprue away from the part to relieve tension (compression?) on the part I am trimming off.

Q: should we be able to access the flickr page? I get a note indicating an invitation needed.

following along; thanks

Thanks for following. It makes complete sense to do a relief cut.

I think that I have changed the permissions on the Flickr album so its available without logging in (I hope!). 

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally got round to start painting. I am still not confident in my airbrushing yet so have decided to brush paint. I am persevering with practicing with the air brush on things that haven't cost me money to buy and can therefore be messed up. As you can see I have painted everything that is still on the sprues except the the lights (for reasons I will come to)

49173303791_934c7d1819.jpg79262820-D531-41F7-8895-8A27902D5465 by nomisd2002, on Flickr

I was going to go with white with red on the wheel arches and under the doors. I am not sure now. I am now in a quandary as to go white/red, white/blue, blue/white, blue/red or red/blue (the main colour being the first). I have put some red and blue testers on. I am putting the kit aside for a couple of days to address other things that I am working on for diorama, so will mull it over. Suggestions welcome.

49173303346_cf1867b926.jpg6CC37F2A-BA09-4E66-B798-680D1AAAC887 by nomisd2002, on Flickr

Overall I am happy with my effort at brush painting. I certainly wasn't after the first coat but it got better. I was expecting to look at the photos and be horrified but its not as bad as I thought I was going to be. I am particularly happy with the seats, which were done with a mix of Vallejo Chocolate, Smoke and Japanese Infantry Uniform - it looks like leather! The metal is Revell Aluminium.

49173526872_fcf2d150b2.jpgDE231C39-C05E-441F-8106-3F12109A1440 by nomisd2002, on Flickr