Mandalorian Razor Crest

injidup

6 hours ago, GreenDragon said:

Mine should be here tomorrow, I went a little overboard this year so this will be the 19th kit from me to me this Christmas!

Paul Harrison

You're a lucky boy to have someone so generous buying you kits ;)

• Haha 2

Huh... well I hadn't spotted that! :hmmm: I noticed the sink-marks, but maybe I'd focused on that and that caused me to miss the slight mould misalignment.

I've got the box just behind me, so grabbed the hull part and attacked it with a piece of Ultimate Sander Sheet (reviewed ages ago), and a scalpel.  5 minutes later I'd got the mis-shaped bits in check, and with a bit more tidying up it should be pretty much invisible.  It's amazing how the macro lens picks up the tiniest of scratches.  Here's a quick pic of the repairs:

spacer.png

Of course it would be better not to have to spend these few minutes mucking about with sanders, but look at that detail!  Worth the effort, I'd say :yes: I didn't bother putting any putty in the sink marks for now, as I'm not building it right now, and it would have delayed me posting the pic :) 

• Like 8

Mine is not arriving till the 24th now. Ordered from Amazon with a del date of the18th but for some odd reason it's being sent from France and now stuck in customs.

Paul Harrison

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Huh... well I hadn't spotted that! :hmmm: I noticed the sink-marks, but maybe I'd focused on that and that caused me to miss the slight mould misalignment.

I've got the box just behind me, so grabbed the hull part and attacked it with a piece of Ultimate Sander Sheet (reviewed ages ago), and a scalpel.  5 minutes later I'd got the mis-shaped bits in check, and with a bit more tidying up it should be pretty much invisible.  It's amazing how the macro lens picks up the tiniest of scratches.  Here's a quick pic of the repairs:

spacer.png

Of course it would be better not to have to spend these few minutes mucking about with sanders, but look at that detail!  Worth the effort, I'd say :yes: I didn't bother putting any putty in the sink marks for now, as I'm not building it right now, and it would have delayed me posting the pic :) 

Hi Mike.

I recently finished one of the handful of test shots issued by Revell and the same mould lines were present in my pre-production copy but were, in truth, no hassle to eliminate. 

The reported signs of pebbling, present on some of the surfaces, didn't detract in the slightest from the pleasure I had building it. Folks like Andy Moore are going to produce fabulous results (which I much look forward to seeing) and I have no doubt that Revell will sell everything they make. I would say to buyers of the kit, don't sweat it - the Crest is a very dirty, stained, mucky bird, so you can (if you choose), make the 'tooth' work for you or polish it out as you prefer.   

I begged da boss for the gig on the promise that I would weep real salty man tears if he sent it elsewhere and I'm made up that he gave me the chance to review it. The You Tube piece 'Inside ILM - Creating the Razor Crest' is a must watch. I took numerous screen shots from this, as well as the show itself, that helped immensely, particularly with the stripe width, spacing and positioning, along with the very eroded colour aft on both flanks. Even if I'd have had decals I'd have still gone the paint route but that's just my personal preference.   

Hope you enjoy yours and I wish everyone well with theirs. I found it a ton of fun.

TTFN   

• Like 4

17 hours ago, PeteH1969 said:

That's terrible not what you should get on a £53 kit I hope you get a replacement kit or your money back.

Pete

To be honest Pete, at first I thought mine did not have the issue, you have to be really looking for it and as @Mike was suggesting, the macro lens can turn a molehill into a mountain. I’m not too bothered by this, I may cover it with weathering. My big plan is to look at what one of the craft masters ( @Andy Moore I await your build with baited breath) to see how they handle it. @Mike showed how quickly you can get very god results so I’m not too bothered

As Mike has shown, the mould offset isn't a huge issue, and is easy enough to clean up. Issues like that are fairly common when slide moulds have been used to create complex mouldings. The rough surface texture is also present on my kit, mainly on the large upper hull part. The texture is quite fine, rather like the surface has been acid etched, and it sands off pretty easily - you just need to be carefull not to damage the raised details. I'd guess it's something to do with the temp and/or pressure that the styrene is injected at.

There are also a few (fairly light) burrs on some of the raised details on the upper hull, and some details are quite soft while other are pin sharp. I think they were probably pushing the limits of a two-part mould with that large upper hull piece.

@The Chief Smeg, I made a brief start last night, and I'll hopefully get some photos up later today.

Andy:cat:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got my one for Christmas, looks like a nice kit - it's stuck behind a Buccaneer, Skywarrior, Valiant and Canberra at the moment so should be started sometime in 2030 at the rate I build :drunk:

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

I hope you post some pictures here. 

I intend to - it's slow going at the moment because of a fractured wrist, but hopefully in the next few weeks there should be some progress.

• Sad 1