Mandalorian Razor Crest

injidup

6 minutes ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

This thing looks like it could be a fun print! might have a try over the weekend!

Looks quite small in that pic - what sort of size is it? :hmmm:

OP's original question sprang to mind after watching the first two episodes, and I'd be utterly disappointed if Bandai didn't give it a whirl, as their pre-chromed Phasma was an exercise in how a chromed kit could be done.  Add a barrier coat of clear gloss/satin and then appropriate streaking/grime/hazing and you'd have an awesome looking model.  I'm also hopeful we'll get a few Mandalorian figures from the series too :pray:

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

Looks quite small in that pic - what sort of size is it? :hmmm:

The baseline model is actually surprisingly well detailed and greebled, and comes in 2 parts for easy printing . If printing at the original scale, the finished model looks to be around 150mm Wide x 199mm Long.

On my larger printer, without cutting the model just scaling up, i can probably go to 185% scale (277mm wingspan, 368mm) -  if i was to trim off the engines and print those separate, probably could get around twice that size again, something around 60cm wingspan and 75cm long.  - But that would be one/several LONG prints. 

1 hour ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

The baseline model is actually surprisingly well detailed and greebled, and comes in 2 parts for easy printing . If printing at the original scale, the finished model looks to be around 150mm Wide x 199mm Long.

On my larger printer, without cutting the model just scaling up, i can probably go to 185% scale (277mm wingspan, 368mm) -  if i was to trim off the engines and print those separate, probably could get around twice that size again, something around 60cm wingspan and 75cm long.  - But that would be one/several LONG prints. 

75cm long! :shocked:  wonder what that scales out to be?  It doesn't seem to be a huge ship judging by the people/Jawas next to it, and I'd rather stick to a scale than a size.  1:72 or 1:48 would gel with the majority of the Bandai stuff, but unless the print and/or your prep is super-smooth you'll be struggling when it comes to adding all that chrome/polished metal, as it's well-known for showing up every little blemish :owww: You could hide some of it with dirt, but you'd still have to be pretty fastidious :hmmm:

Someone's made a decent job of one:

IMG_6308.JPG

Ah, looking at the other pics on Thingiverse, they used the base model and scabbed on raised panels to get more of a smooth look to it.  I'd be tempted to scoop out the cockpit and make up a clearvac canopy somehow.  Lots of work though, which would probably take just enough time for Bandai to release a well-priced kit of the thing :doh:

• Like 3

As you say, by the time youve got round to all the little tweaks and amendments, a kit would most likely surface!

If i was to print one i would probably keep it at one of the classic scales of my other stuff, 1/72 or 1/48 - 1/32 might be a bit too much! 

Sticking on cut to size plasticard to represent the chromed/metallic panels is probably the way to do it. unless you spend all week with the sandpaper and filler, or printed it in resin on a SLA printer. 

A couple of years ago i gifted my brother 3d printed Elite Dangerous space craft in 1/48 , and used some flattened and cut bits of coke can glued to the hull to look like field repaired panels, and that actually didnt look half bad!  - looking at the nacelles, im wondering if you got your wire brush on the outer surface, stripped off the paint, then cut, you could use the natural curvature to match the hull.....

But heres me thinking of yet another project with half a dozen already on the go. NO. MUST COMPLETE ONE FIRST . :D 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

Nothing ive seen in terms of an injection-molded kit yet.

However......... there are models out there - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3989331

spacer.png

This thing looks like it could be a fun print! might have a try over the weekend!

Thanks, I’ll ask a mate to print one for me. It will look good with my Bandai Star Wars vehicle models.

I think Bandai could make a great edition of this subject.

I do not know if they have licensing for this new series or not, IIRC It is not being broadcast in Japan (yet)- one of the big motivations for which subjects Bandai uses to determine what to produce.

Personally I think there would be a better chance for a Revell kit (of course with play action sounds) or a nice Gaming miniature we could repaint and detail some.

Edited by Richard Baker

Hey, long time lurker here but never been able to create an account for some reason. I had to link my facebook account which im not terribly happy about. Anyway The Mandalorian is out 26/12 in Japan on disney deluxe, most likely to not interfere with Disneys promotion of Ep 9, Last Jedi got mixed reception in Japan and its a big market for them. Bandai have already announced 4 figures, 2 new 2 rehashes, from the show in their SH Figuarts brand (prepainted) so they do have the license. I think its a safe bet to say the Mandalorian will be popular in Japan, its old school star wars and draws heavily from classic Japanese samurai films. A 1/72 Razor Crest would be pretty big though, at least by their standards. I think, cant find any info on its size.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, nheather said:

Any thoughts on how large the Revell model in 1/72 would be?

Cheers,

Nigel

Hard to tell given the shape.

F-14 Tomcat size??

Given the price point, I really hope that it’s a proper kit, not an Easy kit with crude details..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I tried to print it in 1/72 and it´s quite large. I´d say twentysome cm long. In any case, the file I´m printing, or tried to print, is a comercial one and quite detailed, inside and outside.

Anyway, Revell has announced an 1/72 kit for 2021.

Edited by marques

On 1/28/2021 at 5:37 AM, Dermo245 said:

Hard to tell given the shape.

F-14 Tomcat size??

Given the price point, I really hope that it’s a proper kit, not an Easy kit with crude details..

Closer in overall size to a V-22, with a not entirely different shape/mass. Unlike many alleged scales in science fiction (esp. since widespread adoption of CGI allowing size to be "tweaked" at a director's whim), the published dimensions track well with what's portrayed in the series. Hopefully Revell don't pull their usual nonsense of producing a box scale kit and mislabeling its scale. I will be a very happy camper if they release something even comparable to the Clone Wars Gunship (long since given up expecting anything from Revell approaching the quality of replica the likes of Fine Molds and Bandai have produced).

On 1/24/2021 at 2:48 PM, Pilgrim_UK said:

I got one for sale.

rcrest.jpg

A version for 3" figures was crowdsourced I am led to believe. 

https://hasbropulse.com/products/star-wars-the-vintage-collection-razor-crest

The crowdfunded set has quite a few collectors upset with Hasbro. This project is in scale with the classic 3 3/4" figures. You had to plunk down $350 USD to preorder, and they got over 28,000 commitments at that price. Perhaps not coincidentally, the cutoff for orders was just before the episode of Season 2 where **spoilers ahead** the ship ends up in the state pictured above. Not only that, but the figure fanatics haven't gotten anywhere near the volume of new figures in this scale that were traditionally seen in Star Wars merchandising.

I share your fears.  When I see stills from the TV series of the Razor Crest with people alongside it does seem quite a big ship, a fair bit bigger than a V-22 I'd say.

In true 1/72 scale it would be a substantial model - I only hope that Revell are true to that and don't just put 1:72 on the box and take liberties with the contents.

I think one of the things that contributes to its bulk is its height.  It is pretty large any way but particulary tall.

Cheers,

Nigel

Another take on size.

Hasbro are running a crowd-funding model that is compatible with the Star Wars (3.75") miniature figures.  That would put the scale at around 1:18.

The size of the model is quoted as

Height - 10.5"

Width = 20"

Length = 30"

Translating that to full size

Height = 4.8m

Width = 9.1m

Length = 13.7m

In 1:72 that would become

Height = 67mm

Width = 127mm

Length = 190mm

Much smaller than suggested in the other speculations I have found.

But I'm still not convinced.  It looks bigger than that in the TV series - I recall that the hull has a full height upstairs and downstairs - it looked taller than 4.8m.

TgXzlbb.jpg

Appreciate that there are angles and perspectives but in that photo it looks at least four Mandalorians high. 

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 2

The Hasbro one was most definitely not 1:18, unfortunately. Like most of their larger vehicles, it's been fudged internally so that there's space for 1:18 figures in the cockpit, and a small cargo bay, but there's nowhere near the internal space there is in the show. I've seen some estimates that place the exterior of the model at around 1:35 scale, although that seems probably too small to me.

Personally I've used this shot from the first episode to establish some idea of scale, and I'd say that it suggests the ship is probably around two-and-a-half Mandalorians high, but even that's just a guess!

spacer.png

For reference here's the position of that door on the studio model:

spacer.png

And on the Hasbro model:

spacer.png

Edited by ChocolateCrisps
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, ChocolateCrisps said:

The Hasbro one was most definitely not 1:18, unfortunately. Like most of their larger vehicles, it's been fudged internally so that there's space for 1:18 figures in the cockpit, and a small cargo bay, but there's nowhere near the internal space there is in the show. I've seen some estimates that place the exterior of the model at around 1:35 scale, although that seems probably too small to me.

Personally I've used this shot from the first episode to establish some idea of scale, and I'd say that it suggests the ship is probably around two-and-a-half Mandalorians high, but even that's just a 

And on the Hasbro mod

spacer.png

When looking at the book about The Art of Star Wars, The Mandalorian, it states that the cargo area in the back will fit three Dewbacks inside. There are about two metres tall.

The "2.5 Mandalorians high" dimension is about right. I think the overall dimensions quoted by Nigel are accurate to the scale shown in the series (and Favreau, Filoni, et al are generally respectful of scale - certainly much more so than their counterparts in the Star Trek franchise).

To be clear about the V-22 comparison, the Razor Crest is certainly larger, but not by an order of magnitude. As far as "real world" aviation types most of us would be familiar with, it's very broadly similar.

spacer.png

As CT7567 mentioned above, the V-22 is in the ball park dimension-wise, although not as high off the ground. The ship's probably smaller than a lot of people expect, certainly smaller than Slave 1 although the different overall shapes make them harder to compare. The main hold is quite narrow and has a fairly low ceiling, but the V shaped hull makes it seem larger than it is.

50891664022_55af37d440_b.jpg

50891663007_c226df4a35_b.jpg

50890835538_b8bf11756e_b.jpg

50891662482_7c97dcd6cf_b.jpg

50890835898_c1e4caaa84_b.jpg

I'll post some more general ref shots, in preperation for the Revell kit (what ever it turns out to be like - I'm not building my hopes up)

50891662667_23904ea117_b.jpg

50890835383_2b3dc7dcb7_b.jpg

50891662832_d7be897f0c_b.jpg

50890835488_b9bc9cc3be_b.jpg

50890835648_8270eb6545_b.jpg

50890835733_2ff500ca29_b.jpg

50891663252_0e8ef84609_b.jpg

50891546931_59e3ccb2ba_b.jpg

50890836323_9b8305e3f4_b.jpg

50891663817_ab5e189c31_b.jpg

50891547261_54df4eefa9_b.jpg

50890836683_42115fecab_b.jpg

50891547436_79e0cfa8f2_b.jpg

50891664242_4a941ac8c3_b.jpg

50891547576_36f4df788a_b.jpg

50890837003_fefa092f58_b.jpg

50891547791_669f0a11f0_b.jpg

50890837258_b86244fa2d_b.jpg

50891664712_cc8f23b933_b.jpg

Andy:cat:

• Like 12

23 hours ago, Andy Moore said:

50890835648_8270eb6545_b.jpg

50891546931_59e3ccb2ba_b.jpg

Andy:cat:

Many thanks for all the photos/stills, I've kept two in the quoted text..  I still think it is taller that 2.5 Mandalorians, maybe not the 4 that I suggested but somewhere in between.

If you look at these two photos, using the door as reference (the door is taller than a Manadalorian), I'd say that is 3 doors tall at least (on it's skids).

I do hope that Revell do a decent kit in the correct proportions - it will make a nice Christmas present, but I do fear that they will squish it to save plastic.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, nheather said:

If you look at these two photos, using the door as reference (the door is taller than a Manadalorian), I'd say that is 3 doors tall at least (on it's skids)

The question depends in part on whether you're measuring the *overall* height (including engine nacelles and/or landing gear) vs. height of the fuselage itself. The latter is, I believe, closer to 2.5 than 3 Mandos (when Din is standing up straight).

• Haha 1