TA-7C Corsair wing tanks

Robert

I am finishing the Hobbyboss TA-7C Corsair and the wing tanks that comes in the kit are too skinny and long. A couple of questions as references are very few.

• Can anyone recommend a replacement ?
  • Can l use the tanks from another aircraft such as the A-4 Skyhawk /A-6 Intruder ?
  • Is there another A-7 that provides the correct shape and size of wing tank ?

I have a Fujimi A-7 Corsair in the stash but they look too short.

Regards

Robert

Edited by Robert

I think those are Aero 1D 300-gallon tanks, designed by Douglas. They can be seen with and without fins. Aircraft that carried them included the A-4, A-6, A-7,and S-3, so you could rob tanks from any of those kits. I'm thinking I saw something about USN/USMC aircraft external tanks on @Tailspin Turtle's website. I bet he can help you more than I. IIRC, there was also a 400-gallon version.

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Robert,

I'm with you - the tanks provided by Hobbyboss in their A-7 kits (and their new A-4 kit as well!) are dimensionally atrocious. Mike's idea is a good one, and Tommy has indeed addressed the issue very thoroughly on this page of his blog (Tailhook Topics), with a comprehensive list of kit alternatives. There's also this related page of his blog, in which he mentions a couple of aftermarket options - here's a link to the Freightdog listing of their 300 gal tank.

cheers,

Andrew.

• Like 1

Attack Squadron drop tanks got reissued by Brengun? Bregun

Just adding something amiss from Tailhook references:

Italeri TAV-8B, Esci AV-8B and Esci A-4 all have 300 gal drop tanks they are not perfect but deemed ok especially for the ones contained in Esci A-4 box

Matchbox drop tanks contained in the EA-6B kit are also very similar to Hasegawa EA-6B tanks, Hasegawa kit got cloned by Hobbycraft and the other one which name escapes me, I do own the remnants s of a HC EA-6B kit and the drop tank parts can be swapped with Hasegawa ones.

Airfix/Heller F/A-18 drop tanks are in the 300 gal territory and far away from Hornet drop tanks

As Tailhook says Fujimi A-7 tanks are shorter while A-4 tanks are ok, yet the outline sorta matches A-4 tanks and if you cut the rear part and clone Fujimi bobtail tank section you can make a little bobtail army out of them, which is very useful for A-4s as they didn't had that many fin configuration restrictions required for A-7s and A-6s (A-7 mostly flew with drop tanks equipped with three fins in the inboard stations and only two for outboard, don't take this as a definite answer but most of the pictures I saw do show this kind of config)

I did a research using old books, magazines and pictures because either Rex or Reddog and SuperHeat on ArcForums once explained fin configurations for those tanks and I wanted to be sure especially because I saw some differences between noses as some are more pointy and kinda slender than others example

https://imgur.com/EUN9mlk

but this is another story :D

Luigi

Edited by Silverkite
  • Like 2