Fork. Tailed. 1/48 Tamiya P-38F Lightning

Full write up:

Tamiya P-38F/G Lightning

Box

Packaging/Decals/Pubs: 9

Although Tamiya’s instruction sheets have been industry standard for decades, they’re due for an upgrade. More color, and 3D graphics have permeated many others by now. Having said that, the stalwart nature of the sheets make them easy to read and follow. So I might just contradict myself here. At any rate, the decals DO need an upgrade, and many would agree.

Sprues: 10

Absolutely zero flash. Superbly molded, and parts gates are state of the art. However, the attachment points on a mating surface, particularly on wing leading edges can be a pain to remove perfectly enough so that you don’t have to use filler.

Shape: 10

I find no issues here. Perhaps the Lightning illuminati will find something wrong, but I don’t see it.  

Subject/Cool Factor: 9

Second only to the Mustang, the Lightning is of course another favorite. Its importance is also not argued.

Engineering: 10

Tamiya took this subject to the next level, just as they did with their Spitfire. While there’s no direct comparison to an earlier Tamiya release, it does render the old Hasegawa kit obsolete. At least for an early Lighting, so far. Not hat the Hase kit is bad at all. The fidelity of the engineering makes it a breeze to build. There’s no alignment issues at all. That’s not something that can be said for the Hase kit. The integration of ball bearing nose and nacelle weights make it easy to sit on its gear without issue, It does take away the ability to detail the nose gun bay. I imagine aftermarket companies will work on this, and make a set that incorporates noseweight.

BOX SCORE: 48

BUILD

Fit: 10

Absolutely superb. No issues.

Detail: 10

Detail is fantastic. Without a doubt, the most detailed 1/48 P-38 to date. Most notable is the detail inside the wheel wells. More busy and accurate than any other P-38 kit. The cockpit is fantastic, and much like the Spitfire, an aftermarket option isn’t really necessary.  

Effort: 10

No issues. A complete delight to build..

Value: 9

$60-75 is something we expect to pay for the F-14 kit, a much larger and more complex aircraft. It’s not unexpected. Costs are just not going to go down. But when you can get a Mustang kit for $20 less that has this level of excellence.. A tick off.

Fun Factor: 10

This was an absolute delight. Enjoyed every minute of it.

BUILD SCORE: 49

Add it all up and the D score is…97 out of 100

Another exquisite kit from the best in the biz. What else is there to say?

• Thanks 2

I really hope this trend continues. Well, two trends. a) I hope Tamiya makes more warbirds, and b)they retool their older warbirds like they did with the Spitfire. I think the Corsair and Thunderbolt are ripe for that.

• Like 1

A beautiful build!

While my personal preference is 1/72 aircraft, the online buzz whenever Tamiya releases a new 1/48 kit is hard to miss.

You have certainly more than met expectations on this well-regarded kit.

Very inspiring.

:clap:

• Thanks 1