Missing numbers on 1/72 P-40

opus999

The answer to my question doesn't necessarily have to be decals, but I didn't know where else to post....

I have all the decals I need for John Chennault's Aleutian Tiger P-40.  Except for the tail numbers.  "96", which are of course in yellow.  Does anyone have a suggestion how to fix this?  I thought if I masked very, very carefully I might be able to paint them on, but that seems like a solution fraught with peril....

Any suggestions or ideas would be helpful!

• Like 1

Anything in your spare decals ? I can check my files tomorrow if you don't have anything ? Can you print your own ? Last idea is to go with something like this ? 

http://www.hobbylinc.com/woodland-45-degree-usa-gothic-rr-numbers-yellow-1:16-5:16-model-railroad-decal-mg749?source=froogle&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIprDe1Pj35QIVe_fjBx2yrALNEAkYASABEgKQs_D_BwE

I use stuff like this for letters/numbers as they have boatloads on a sheet, and the numbers on a sheet come in variable sizes. They come in black, white, blue, red, yellow, green, and a couple of other colors. The font and color may not be a perfect match, but unless you're competing it shouldn't matter.  

IMHO the easiest answer to your problem is indeed decals...

You don't mention scale, but as your other models are in 1/72 scale I'm assuming this is the scale you're working in. Now painting the 96 in yellow in 1/72 scale is sure possible, but you need a seriously steady hand. Then there's the matter of applying yellow over Olive Drab, that is quite a dark colour... you're likely going to need several coats to cover properly. This means several passes with the same steady hand, and the risk of a ridge due to all the coats.

There are sheets of USAAF style numbers in yellow, Techmod for example had one offering several sizes:

https://www.1001modelkits.com/decals-for-aircraft-models/33791-techmod-tm72118-decals-us-serials-and-code-numbers-yellow-9-sizes-68121620242832-and-36.html

I have their sheet for white numbers and it's quite good.

Another brand that covered the subject is Fantasy Printshop. who have a good range of USAAF numbers, all also available in yellow:

https://www.fantasyprintshop.co.uk/decals/aircraft-decals/fantasy-printshop-decals/us-45-deg-id-numbers-and-letters/

A brand that I've never used before is Bedlam Creations, that offers small size USAAF numbers in several colors including yellow.

https://www.bedlamcreations.com/shop-online/number-waterslide-decals/

The largest size in their sheets is 4 mm high, you would have to check what size your number should be. A good thing for you is that Bedlam is in the US, so delivery cost would be low.

Micro/Superscale also sure covered these numbers, but such a sheet would sure be OOP. Aeromaster also had a double sheet with both letters and numbers in various sizes (code was 72-013A) There may be others out there, personally I'd probably check the size and see if the Fantasy Printshop or Bedlam sheets can help before searching for other manufacturers, as both are in current production so easy to find

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Can you print your own ?

I forgot about printing decals.  I've never tried it, but could I'm willing to give it a shot.

3 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

You don't mention scale

It was in the title... :D 

There are sheets of USAAF style numbers in yellow, Techmod for example had one offering several sizes:

Their website seems to be down right now, but I'll have a look...

Another brand that covered the subject is Fantasy Printshop. who have a good range of USAAF numbers, all also available in yellow

These look perfect!  I wonder if they ship to the US.... I'll have to check taht out later

@Giorgio N:  Thanks for all the info!  I didn't turn up anything at my usual haunts (which tend to be on-line shops).  I need to learn more about what manufacturers are out there, it seems!