Malta spitfire’s x2 and an Italian based extra

rob85

So these have slowly (painfully) being built over the last two years. I really had a lot on and had really lost my Mojo, but it’s back now!

They were part of the below thread (still technically ongoing, but now paused, as I would like to try any complete something other than a spitfire!) they are the second part of what ended up a built of 9 spitfires.

I’m happy with how they turned out but also honest enough to admit they are far from my best work, however I really like them and what they represent and I’m over the moon to get them finished! 

so here they are. All painted with a brush and acrylic paints, and they are all the old airfix mkVb kit.👍🏻

Spitfire mk Vb AB263 GN-B flown by Robert (strong name) McNair of 249 (Gold Coast)squadron, from Ta’Qali Malta, 1942

sZxtcjH.jpg

sg8v0MI.jpg

xexAlbZ.jpg

F3artkf.jpg

Kt5Foc1.jpg

4unkanC.jpg

f08eDyx.jpg

probably some debate over colours of the 249 spitfires, but I followed the Xtradecal sheet, but may try and create one of the other options of the squadron in the future.

Spitfire mk Vb BP964 X-I 601 squadron flown from Ta’Qali, 1942, this came in with Op Bowery and I have gone with the blue option as I love a blue Malta spitfire!

P5NYgqx.jpg

pA1z5E0.jpg

8VYr2kO.jpg

sIQjp8u.jpg

jYt4U8J.jpg

4KEDrAS.jpg

SkozTYd.jpg

XTJUdBK.jpg

The aim with these was to represent two stages of the defence of Malta and a bit of that myth that goes with it, like the blue of the spitfires etc. One (GN-B) represents and aircraft that would have just arrived and started its life defending Malta, with signs of quick turn around and dust... the other(X-I) represents an aircraft that has been adapted to suit the battle it was in and try’s to capture the wear and tear of the aircraft you see in the pictures, e.i. Really beaten up! Having visited Ta’Qali (now a stadium on an industrial estate with a lovely little museum) I can vouch for it not being hospitable with mainly cactus, rock, dust and really hot sun.... turns out the bus stops at the museum and you don’t have to walk across the industrial estate in 35 degree heat, my girlfriend was over the moon when we got to the museum to find our bus sat outside it....

Spitfire Vb JK792 WR-O 40 squadron SAAF Italy 1944 - I picked this as I just really liked the scheme!

mSdAlo6.jpg

ytfDLeW.jpg

VR353Oi.jpg

Hxrkxjf.jpg

I’m ok with how this turned out, but not happy, the transfers silvered (probably my fault not theirs) and the paint was a pain, the dark earth (I tried mr hobby, then took it all off and repainted with Tamiya) didn’t play ball! And I won’t be using the MIG dark green again! 

overall really happy to have these finished and in the cabinet.

group photo

HKJfCrt.jpg

XIxLfyr.jpg

The SAAF shelf

KA7po5V.jpg

and the Malta shelf

PxDwuzi.jpg

cheers, and onto the next build!

Thanks for looking

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 18

13 hours ago, Cariado said:

Nice models, especially the first!

I too was pleasantly surprised by the museum at Ta'Qali.

It’s a lovely little place, with an original Malta based mk ix, which was nice to see. Glad you like them

12 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Rob - good to see them finished :) 

Cheers Ced, I’m glad of it too!

9 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Great Spitfires Rob, the blue one is especially sweet. Glad you have recovered some of the ol' modelling mojo.

I love the blue spitfires and all the fact/myth that comes along with them! 

8 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Nice work young Robert B) 

Looking forward to see what you think of the Eduard IX, it's a bit fiddly but as a kit it's in a different league, I think you'll enjoy it :) 

Cheers,

Stew

Ha young, it’s all relative 😃. I’m having a pause  and starting a b-25 for now, I have an eduard mk ix and a viii now so they might deserve there own little build thread.

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Great job Rob - I love the blue one too! :clap:

Ciao

Cheers giemme! She’s my favourite too, my next build you will be glad to hear has some grey on it! And in a mad moment I ordered a Jet! No propeller or anything so I might build one of them at some point 😃

thanks as always for the support guys, it means a lot.

Rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cocky05d said:

"I give you good deal " As the Malta taxi drivers are wont to say 😁Yes very nice models and a nice Museum ,there are a couple of others .

Ha yes! To be fair transport over the island is pretty affordable! Apart from maybe the horse drawn carts, which get surprisingly cheaper the further you walk away! There are so many great museums on the island, all are worth a visit!

42 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

Really nice Spits! Great variation in the colour schemes, something a bit different to the norm. Brilliant job.

Cheers I’m glad you like them. They are a bit of a break for day fighter or DE/DG, I’m a fan of the MTO and how varied it was with so many interesting schemes and stories, but especially Malta and Italy 

Rob