WW1 X wing Star Fighter

Tim K

Not the usuall at all... For the last 6 months I've been unable to do any serious modelling. All my modelling equipment has been bought at ASDA, Hobbycraft and Scoonie Hobbies, Kirkcaldy and kept in a supermarket bag. My modelling area has been the back garden and a A4 modelling mat. My stash of kits and more serious equipment, air brush, thinners, extractor brushes and paints etc etc are in storeage. My goal is to complete a WIngNut Wings and to this end completed two biplanes last year and 75% completd a third but evrything came to a halt in May this year. The Itch to complete something has been helped by a Harrier with my grandson and this latest offering.

The olive drab representing PC12 was from a Tamya spray can the rest was brush painted.

I wanted to complete a biplane but at the time of visiting Hobbycraft Stockport the closest thing to one was Starfighter X wing. Undaunted i pressed on...

So practising wood paneling oil dot blending and enhancing moulded structures I began

"In a far off galaxy" 

Metals had become very expensive but plywood was very cheap! The rebels using all there recycling skills to eke out their limited resources built this special to celebrate their for fathers... of two World Wars back on Earth.

DSC07241

Of interest too me the panel lines were brush painted in using water colour pencils. The metal paints used were Tamya silver, iron and metallic blue. The goldy colours were the silver mixed with Acrylic yellow ink which produced anything from a rich gold to a bleached out one.

DSC07216

As you can see the base I couldn't really be bothered with it was the model and its use as a practice was where i concentrated my efforts.

The underneath wing was painted with Enamel colour approximating to doped lined but then I sprayed with  a Tamya acrylic varnish and yes the inevitable happened it crazed!

20191008_105755

The oil dot technique used Winsor and Newton dark umber, light umber and yellow. I wanted to get a graduation from a darker leading edge (straight edge) to a lighter trailing edge (diagonal edge)

20191008_105812

The panels lines brushed in with watercolour pencils varnished and then the oil dot technique. The end result not quite what I was  after but alot better than monochrome colour.

To make the moulded detail pop, again it was watercolour pencils and brushed round the details and adjusted.

DSC07224

Overall I'm pleased and itching to get on with WNW kit.

• Like 11

The rigging... 😊 I want to say is from invisible thread BUT is in storage near Edinburgh... If it was in the shopping bag under the table I would have used it... 😉. You've said something I did think about, perhaps your comment is enough for me to buy some more Ezi line and Gas Patch turn-buckles... Watch this space 😂😂😂

• Like 1

An interesting experiment.

I can buy into the use of plywood, but only for deep-space launches and landings on a mothership.

Any flights involving planets with atmospheres and earth-like gravity might produce some nasty surprises. :winkgrin:🤣🤪

But having fun is the name of the game.

:goodjob:

• 1 month later...