A-26 Invader 6 gun nose shell ejection portd

BushBrit66

Sean,

I don't believe so. IIRC, all solid-nosed six or eight gun A-26B's collected the expended cases and links and these were emptied  upon the end of a mission. Think there  would be a rearward cg shift if they were dumped, and I think there might also have been possible damage to the props from all that ejected brass. I didn't see any ejector ports in any of the numerous photos I examined. Maybe an expert can elaborate? Regarding the wing guns, I think I recall reading that when the six gun nose was replaced by the eight gun nose, the six wing guns were fitted at the same time; glass-nosed A-26C's also had the six wing guns fitted, which made up for the loss of the guns fitted to the solid-nosed version. What I'm not sure about is whether or not the four twin-gun underwing pods could be fitted at the same time as the six wing guns, but I don't think so. 

Mike

Hi Mike, that was my feeling on the 6 gun version although there is inference of something on some pictures of the 8 gun version. I note that the Monogram kit and the resin  6 gun noses produced when the C kit came out first, do not have them. Having said that, the box are for the pending Icm A-26 6 gun nose, has them in tandem. 

Edited by BushBrit66

The underwing gun pods were introduced from the A-26B-15-DL block, the 41st production machine from Long Beach.

The 8 gun nose and internal wing guns were introduced on the production line from the -50-DL block, from aircraft 612 on the Long Beach production line. The internal wing guns replaced the underwing pods thereby reducing drag. BUT, and here is the catch, these “new” features could be retrofitted to earlier aircraft. For example 319th BG aircraft on Okinawa had 6 gun noses but the wings show evidence of the gun-ports in the leading edge of the wings for the internal wing guns, but these do not seem to have been fitted.

So the only sure way to tell with the earlier aircraft is from photos.

The internal wing guns were introduced from the A-26C-45-DT on the production line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much, @Fencer-1 for the photo! First one I have ever seen that shows the underside of the nose! If I do a 6-shooter, (I am from Texas, after all!) I will sure use this for reference!

Mike

19 hours ago, EwenS said:

The underwing gun pods were introduced from the A-26B-15-DL block,

That's what I was able to find, also, Ewen. For the benefit of @BushBrit66 , here is a summary taken from the Joe Baugher website:

A-26B-15-DL: four underwing gun pods with 2 .50cal guns each could be fitted (See comment below.)

A-26B-50-DL: eight-gun  nose replaced the six gun nose; six internally mounted  .50cal guns fitted in the wings

(I didn't find any data as to which of the Tulsa-built A-26B/C's got the changes listed above.)

I don't see how, in case somebody was wondering, that the underwing gun pods could be used at the same time as the internally-mounted wing guns, as IIRC, the ammunition  for either configuration was in the wings, so  how could this be accomplished? I think it had to be one or the other, but not both!

I have attached a link to the A-26 section of Joe's website- some very good reference material in it, especially serial numbers for each production block.

Mike

http://www.joebaugher.com/usattack/a26_3.html

While trolling today, I found this video on the A-26B that I thought might be of interest, as partway through the video, there is a short bit of footage that shows the underwing gun pods being loaded by means of the internal ammo bays in the wings.

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cGt7CDLP68

• Like 1