Questions about Vickers Wellesley camouflage ?

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hello everyone... Starting to do some research for a future build, a matchbox Wellesley. Now doing research i of course found Valom’s kit and builds. They offer a version of the kit labeled “Africa campaign” and show the plane in what appears to be De/Ms over black. Is the scheme accurate and are those the correct colors ? If not then what colors are correct, De/Dg over sky ? Any answers are gratefully received and i will give Thanks in advance. 

Dennis

On 11/20/2019 at 4:45 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ok so upon reading and digging the schemes seem somewhat plausible. However I'm thinking now that it is either very faded De/Dg, Le/Dg or Dg/Sand which may seem more plausible, thoughts on those colors ? 

Dennis

My thoughts are that I would need some pretty solid evidence to go against Tony O'Toole's conclusions in the other thread 

• Like 1

For the light colour of the pre war `desert scheme' I would go for Light Stone rather than Mid Stone.  I`m not up to scratch on pre war paint stores info but it `could' be a colour used by the Army for painting canvas covers on motor vehicles? It certainly wore off very easily and was soon removed altogether as by the time war reached the Middle East the Wellesleys were finished in DE/DG.

All the best

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Light Earth was used in the Middle East to replace the Dark Green in the first "true" desert scheme, before Mid Stone (which was an Army colour whereas Light Earth wasn't)  It is quite likely that the request of Middle Stone as an aircraft paint came from  seeing the Army use of it.

However, in view of the comment from the unit about extreme fading of Dark Earth, and the widespread appearance of this light colour on a wide range of types, personally I'd go with it being DG/DE/Night in a faded form.  Particularly as the Middle East covered a wide range of environments, not just the drier ones.

• Thanks 1