1/72 Goliath "beetle tank"

Tim Reynaga

This is Alby’s diminutive 1/72 scale resin Goliath.

mLwi4vz.jpg

According to Wikipedia, the Leichter Ladungsträger Goliath (Goliath Light Charge Carrier) was a name given to two German Unmanned disposable demolition vehicles used during World War II. They were known as beetle tanks by the Allies.

Employed by the Wehrmacht during World War II, they carried 60 or 100 kilogrammes (130 or 220 lb) of high explosives, depending on the model, and were intended to be used for destroying tanks, disrupting dense infantry formations, and the demolition of buildings or bridges. Goliaths were single-use vehicles that were destroyed by the detonation of their warhead.

Here’s a picture of one at the Bovington Tank Museum next to my wife.

4IZkknJ.jpg?1

The Goliath is even smaller than it appears in this picture – my wife is only four feet eleven inches tall!

bVL0M0R.jpg

This kit is simplicity itself – only four resin parts.

The four-part model assembled quickly.

E5k79a3.jpg

The only challenge was attaching the delicate wire control cable guide without breaking it!

fvYWyMn.jpg

Here’s Goliath with its initial paint on.

JHQzhzN.jpg

And with a Grumbacher Raw Umber artist’s oil wash, the Goliath is completed.

sX1mPaF.jpg

The completed Goliath model is so small it made sense to place it on some kind of base.

HCRKtHf.jpg

A “wooden nickel” from Hobby Lobby should serve nicely as a platform.

WjbLxUy.jpg      Dg3ijmO.jpg?1

I started by covering one side with Golden Gel Mediums Coarse Pumice Gel, a texturing agent used by artists. This creates a surface something like a 1/35th scale rocky beach.

zUOkFGH.jpg     1XkWCmP.jpg

I then smeared spackling paste over it to tone things down to something more resembling 1/72 scale earth.

The groundwork was painted with Tamiya Flat Earth (XF-62) acrylic.

gyk77me.jpg

At the same time, the base edge was treated with Watco Teak Oil, a nice honey-colored finish left over from varnishing the oak floors in my house.

nDkykvU.jpg

Finally, a sprinkling of Noch static grass flocking gives a little life to the groundwork.

Edited by Tim Reynaga
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, GrzeM said:

Good job!

Goliaths in Poland are infamous for destruction of many buildings during Warsw Uprising, including Warsaw Cathedral of St. John.

Goliaths in action in "Kanał" ("The Sewer") film about the Warsaw Uprising.

https://youtu.be/AsH7d5jGTns?t=23

Wow, GrzeM, that movie was cool - thanks for the link!

Placed on the base with a couple of 6mm swamp tuft weeds from Army Painter Battlefields, the tiny Goliath demolition vehicle looks ready for trouble!

LPzSdza.jpg

nXeIg68.jpg

😠

Edited by Tim Reynaga
  • Like 10