An Arrow for the collection: Revell's 1:48 Dornier Do 335

Sturmovik

Immediately after finishing my Fw 190D-9 from Gertrud Barkhorn (still needs its proper RFI photos), I "start" this one. It'll be my third attempt at this kit.

The kit decals were printed in 2010, so this boxing is 10 years old (I already know the original kit was made in the 70s), they aren't cracked, so they should work fine (as long as they don't take much time from moving away of the backing paper). I'll be building the boxart plane.

Y1cnCAb.jpg

05GW29N.jpg

eFXcXx9.jpg

Click on the follow button if you wish to see how this build goes.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 5

Just now, Thom216 said:

Cool! I have just finished building the Tamiya version. I'll be hanging around in the back, just peeking from the shadows...

Sure thing! Have a seat in the front row!

• Like 1

Old decals can be fraught I’ve had a number of old decal sets literally disintegrate on contact with water ( mostly microscale I might add) if I were you I’d try putting a coat of liquid decal or similar on first, although only 10 years old might be ok.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Marklo said:

Old decals can be fraught I’ve had a number of old decal sets literally disintegrate on contact with water ( mostly microscale I might add) if I were you I’d try putting a coat of liquid decal or similar on first, although only 10 years old might be ok.

Just to be safe, I always test a spare decal to see if it breaks. The only time a decal broke was when I tried a sheet of water damaged decals.

• 2 weeks later...

A sort of update on the Arrow. Today I was given the all clear from the mental health clinic I was interned in, and bought this die cast A-4 Skyhawk as a personal prize. 

AG9FyHi.jpg

Updates on the Arrow proper will follow soon.

• Like 7

More progress on the Dornier! Fuselage has been built and the aircraft is ready for painting. The air intake scoop that goes below the tail slid inside the fuselage, so I had to remove the wings and re attach it. The pegs for the movable flaps broke, so the flaps have been fixed in place.

htInYBS.jpg

6K4NyKO.jpg

b9VtT0J.jpg

A 60 grams weight to act as counterweight:

a4OuVP3.jpg

XNSwtVA.jpg

IZOpJSi.jpg

Hlao9Jb.jpg

Kiw3qUB.jpg

umVTNEs.jpg

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 6

Hey Sturmovik,

Looking good so far. I’ve had a facination with this plane for a long time. Such a unique design! Looking forward to seeing how you finish this one up.

Hope all is well with you...

• Thanks 1

On 30/11/2019 at 01:02, RadMax8 said:

Hey Sturmovik,

Looking good so far. I’ve had a facination with this plane for a long time. Such a unique design! Looking forward to seeing how you finish this one up.

Hope all is well with you...

Thanks Max! I also wish to see how this build goes.

RLM 81 has been applied!

NBk6dvC.jpg

kEzFXbn.jpg

Cockpit view:

vnqOfSl.jpg

• Like 4

Sorry for the lack of updates as of late, I wasn't in the mood for painting, but here are some more photos of the Dornier.

The undersides still remain to be painted in RLM 65.

amWOYKo.jpg

dksmqIa.jpg

DnahUrg.jpg

4XcGeQl.jpg

• Like 6

Undersides painted in RLM 65, together with the NNF panels.

@Greg Law you're correct, but I still need to clear coat it, apply the decals (which I need to test before applying the main ones), matt coat it, and then add the landing gear.

MbIsmyC.jpg

• Like 4

Propellers were intalled. In hindsight, I should have assembled the propellers separately and then glued them when the kit was on its wheels, now I risk breaking the nose propeller.

i21KSqa.jpg

V19NEAv.jpg

• Like 4

Well done! Too bad it’s design was obsolete before it even really went into mass service. 

Of course I simply mean the engineering and performance aspect...

Anyway, sorry I lost track of this one, but thanks for sharing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1