1/72 Italeri EF-111 Raven

Hi All,

Long time in the making but I finally completed this 1/72 Italeri EF-111. This was my first attempt at weathering so would love some feedback on how it looks. The model was built out of box using no extra parts since it was to be more of a training mule than serious attempt to make this kit flawless. Relatively basic weathering to start with. Model was painted then gloss varnished, After this a wash was applied using Revell weathering powders watered down the sealed in using a Matt clear coat. I also attempted some pre shading however realised I applied the dark grey on to thickly so it can’t be seen very clearly however it does show through a little on the light grey areas (hard to see on camera). Definitely techniques I’d like to use again so I’d love your feedback to improve.

Thanks

BR60066

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 41

8 minutes ago, B.sin said:

She looks good!  I have this kit, not a bad model at all!

Thanks very much :). For an older kit I was definitely surprised how nicely it came together and not a raised panel line in sight. Landing gear was also surprisingly well detailed

10 hours ago, Alfa Juliet Whisky said:

Nicely done BR66, looks good, may have to get this kit myself, have only built Hasegawa F111 kits recently, Airfix and Revell kits many years ago !!

Thanks :) Only problem I have with it is that the intakes don't go deep enough into the airframe

but that's just a good excuse to do some fabrication

I like what you've done with this. I'm a great believer in the less is more school & as I see it, your weathering is subdued & pertinent rather than gratuitous & unrealistic. I really like the grubbiness on the wing roots, dirty from landings & take offs, but hidden when in flight & the rest of the airframe gets a wash occasionally. 👍 I think I just found a "need" probably out of production knowing my luck. :D

Steve. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Looks great!  Well done

23 hours ago, neil5208 said:

Nice spark

22 hours ago, djos said:

Looks....PERFECT!

This moderate weathering is totally appropriate for this color scheme. Also weathering at the root of the wings looks very good.

Best regards

Djordje

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I like what you've done with this. I'm a great believer in the less is more school & as I see it, your weathering is subdued & pertinent rather than gratuitous & unrealistic. I really like the grubbiness on the wing roots, dirty from landings & take offs, but hidden when in flight & the rest of the airframe gets a wash occasionally. 👍 I think I just found a "need" probably out of production knowing my luck. :D

Steve. 

Thanks all for the Feedback 😁. That was the effect I was trying to go for Steve so I am really glad it shows through well :) . I know this particular boxing was released in around 2003 but according to Scalemates Italeri have it back in the catalogue for 2019.

12 hours ago, delticfan said:

Lovely job looks just right, what paint colours did you use I have a hobby boss in the making now...

I used Tamiya XF-19 for the light grey and Tamiya XF-53 for the dark grey. The nose was a mix of both measured by eye until it looked right. It seams to be tricky finding American grey shades but I am happy with those shades now. Hope that helps 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, br60066 said:

Thanks all for the Feedback 😁. That was the effect I was trying to go for Steve so I am really glad it shows through well :) . I know this particular boxing was released in around 2003 but according to Scalemates Italeri have it back in the catalogue for 2019.

I used Tamiya XF-19 for the light grey and Tamiya XF-53 for the dark grey. The nose was a mix of both measured by eye until it looked right. It seams to be tricky finding American grey shades but I am happy with those shades now. Hope that helps 

Yes great help thanks I would never have thought it was those colours they really look spot on...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jonf45 said:

Beautiful finish, love the subtle weathering, and the greys look spot on 👍

10 hours ago, F-32 said:

Gotta love a Spark Vark!    :goodjob:

6 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Looks good!

6 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Looking great BR66 !!

As said above, the weathering is spot on 👍

Thanks again all :)

18 hours ago, delticfan said:

Yes great help thanks I would never have thought it was those colours they really look spot on...

No problem :). It took a lot of trial and error since the callout in the instructions were way off

Edited by br60066
Spelling error

Very nice indeed.

I think your weathering and staining is just right - subtle enough to reflect reality, without "forcing" it.

Training exercise or not, I'd be proud to have it in my collection.

👍👍

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Booty003 said:

That is a cracking result.  You have done a great job with the crew capsule fit (I have a half built A model on the go).

Paint and weathering is spot on too.

19 hours ago, Marcin Wojciechowski said:

Very nice work. I like familly airplanes F/EF-111.

18 hours ago, Getting Old said:

Very nice work :like:

11 hours ago, kapam said:

Very nice indeed.

I think your weathering and staining is just right - subtle enough to reflect reality, without "forcing" it.

Training exercise or not, I'd be proud to have it in my collection.

👍👍

Thanks very much all :)