Another Airfix Phantom FG1

On 22/11/2019 at 18:26, Justin M said:

Very impressed. Great photos too. What manufacturer of paint did you use for the overall top side colour? 

Hi Justin. As I'm new reverting back to aircraft modelling, I went with what is used before... humbrol enamel. Colour is 123 satin. Seemed to go on ok but needed several coats through the airbrush to get the coverage I was after. 

Slight upset last night when taking some more photos ... lamp nosedived onto model. Most repairs undertaken but some still in hand. It happens!

Post over on the WIP thread.

Oh well

J

• Sad 2

As mentioned, I was photographing the model when one of the small lamps took a topple and landed on top of the nose of the aircraft; repairs are in hand... as and when time will dictate I'll get the mirrors in the front canopy re soldered to a new frame, painted and re-inserted, and i've abandoned the rocket pods for the time being; the Brassin TERs are now more visible.

But, before it all went wrong, here's one of the photos I snapped (or rather about 5 manually stacked to present the needed depth of field... presented in a way I liked after some experimentation.

Look - red ladder.

49134586142_f693cdfa48_b.jpgHomage to XT864 by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

Jonathan

... and thanks for all of your kind comments

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

A beautiful build. I especially like the weapons load. Have never seen a Phantom II model with that particular load out. Sets your model apart wonderfully.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all for your comments... it's nice to see some come to this after it's been dormant for a while, especially when you're so kind about my feeble attempts. SAT69, the load was modelled on a shot in one of my phantom books of 007 leaping off the deck in this config - the grey single tank and twin rocket pods on each TER.... and I quite liked it. I think the 'toom looks a lot sleeker when devoid of wing tanks. I appreciate its a slightly different config to most of those modelled... but its shows just how many variations can be achieved with just a few options presented.

Thanks again,.

Jonathan