MONOGRAM. 1/48 N.A. F-100D Super Sabre.

madcop

Hello there at Britmodeller.

I am busy with two good old F-100D from Monogram. One will be a Djibouti based Armée de l'Air ac. and the other one a USAF machine.

As you know these Monogram kits need (depends on the taste of individual...) to be rescribed.

So, I am desperately looking for the 1/48 F-100D SCRIBING TEMPLATE from the brand NORTHSTAR, that was released so long ago that I can't even remember when exactly.( I am now 69...).

If you know anybody who has still got one , or who knows who might have one ,or simply if you have any left, I would be so happy to buy it and pay for the costs of course.

Doing so you would so much pleased an old Belgian modeller. 

Thanks to all of you.

Madcop.

I had one of those many years ago but gave it away. I didn’t find it very useful. I think the only areas where it helped were those long, narrow rectangular panels on the fuselage sides and the oddly-shaped one forward of the drag chute well. The panel lines on the old Hun are simple enough that Dymo tape and a scribe are all you need. Just sand off the raised panel lines and then follow the “ghost” images of them.

Cheers!

Ben

Thank You Ben, I really like to engrave, while others dislike it very much.  This NORTHSTAR template seems to be useful, especially for the rounded panels, access hatches etc..., and as you say not that much for the straight lines.

I like my Monogram kit, as it is moulded in silver plastic, and even sanded, the panel lines and others still appear !

I still hope to find one ...

Thank you very much for your answer. 

Best greetings from Brussels.

Madcop.

Hi Madcop!

Yes, good luck with your search! I'm not a big fan of rescribing, but for some reason, I've never minded rescribing the Monogram kits.

Also, in case you haven't built this kit before, it has a reputation for having a really bad seam to clean up on the fuselage forward and aft of the wings. The trick is to build the fuselage without the wings. The gap between the wings is too narrow and pulls in the sides of the upper fuselage half, causing the seam. Without the wings, you don't have quite as bad a seam to clean up. Split the wings and add them later. Removing the stabilators makes it a lot easier to clean up the seams on the aft fuselage, too.

I look forward to seeing your work in progress!

Cheers!

Ben

I am building a French Camouflaged aircraft and am   going for the effect of rubbing through the paint  to expose the panel lines (silver plastic and  initial black undercoat) I used this method on a previous Flight Systems Inc.  F-100F  built with the Maintrack F conversion and it seemed to work well. This time however, where I've rubbed down and filled along the sides of the fuselage, I'm going to rescribe with a scalpel but leaving the raised  kerf and then sanding  through the paint to try and expose that  with 1200 wet and dry paper.

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/11/2019 at 13:54, madcop said:

Hello there at Britmodeller.

I am busy with two good old F-100D from Monogram. One will be a Djibouti based Armée de l'Air ac. and the other one a USAF machine.

As you know these Monogram kits need (depends on the taste of individual...) to be rescribed.

So, I am desperately looking for the 1/48 F-100D SCRIBING TEMPLATE from the brand NORTHSTAR, that was released so long ago that I can't even remember when exactly.( I am now 69...).

If you know anybody who has still got one , or who knows who might have one ,or simply if you have any left, I would be so happy to buy it and pay for the costs of course.

Doing so you would so much pleased an old Belgian modeller. 

Thanks to all of you.

Madcop.

Hi Madcop

I really do believe You can find the old NORTHSTAR  template for the venerable Monogram Revel F-100D there

in Europe, with some friends of You or at some model shops or plasticmodellers contests.

About one thing You must be sure ... somebody near You has what You want, or knows who has it !🙂

Cheers

SouthViper 

Cheers 

20 hours ago, NorthBayKid said:

What a sad state of affairs that in 2020, still the best 1/48 F-100 kit is the now 41-year old Monogram kit.  Imagine a 2020 quality level Tamiya Hun?  I need to take some nitroglycerin now!

So true. Same goes for the F-105 and F-106.

Ben

• Like 1