Spitfire PR XI details

Giorgio N

4 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Your Mk.Vc conversion sounds interesting ! I've considered something similar myself but as long I have not built built all my Sword kits I'll wait to attemot such a conversion.

You will have a much better looking model with the hybrid Eduard/Tamiya than the Sword. The Sword is by comparison very basic, almost short-run quality. My luck was that I had a resin casting of the Tamiya nose I had used with the Hasegawa IX to produce a Vc, but the Eduard main donor is a much better starting point.

What usually happens when I start a silly project like the Eduard/Tamiya, namely that another manufacturer comes out with an acceptable Vc, has yet to happen, but boy, I would dearly want Eduard to come out with more Spits.

/Finn

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FinnAndersen said:

You will have a much better looking model with the hybrid Eduard/Tamiya than the Sword. The Sword is by comparison very basic, almost short-run quality. My luck was that I had a resin casting of the Tamiya nose I had used with the Hasegawa IX to produce a Vc, but the Eduard main donor is a much better starting point.

What usually happens when I start a silly project like the Eduard/Tamiya, namely that another manufacturer comes out with an acceptable Vc, has yet to happen, but boy, I would dearly want Eduard to come out with more Spits.

/Finn

IIRC there was a suggestion that Eduard would follow their IX with a series of earlier variants, however considering the pace at which Eduard issue new kits we may be easily waiting for a few years before this happens.

Agree on the Sword kit, I built their Seafire and while nice it's sure not on par with the Eduard Spitfires. Still, I feel that among the various short-runs that we had covering Spit variants in the last few years, this is maybe the best, IMHO well superior to the AZ offerings.

If I may ask, how did the Tamiya nose fit with the Eduard fuselage ? I always felt that the Tamiya fuselage is a bit on the wide side compared to other Spitfires... as I have a Tamiya Vb in the stash I may make my own clone of their cowling to attempt your same conversion. While I have those 2 Sword kits, there are a few more Vcs I'd like to build...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

If I may ask, how did the Tamiya nose fit with the Eduard fuselage ? I always felt that the Tamiya fuselage is a bit on the wide side compared to other Spitfires... as I have a Tamiya Vb in the stash I may make my own clone of their cowling to attempt your same conversion. While I have those 2 Sword kits, there are a few more Vcs I'd like to build...

As I said, I made a master for a resin casting and right now I'm sitting with it. It was made for the Hasegawa fuselage and I can see that I widened it 0.5 millimeter. The result fitted the Hasegawa and the Eduard.

So you may want to insert a spacer to spread out the on the upper seam. Here is a couple of pictures of the master

0e98aade-ccb4-4b95-b0c8-1a439327dc0d.JPGa7cd33fd-9df1-48e0-95f8-d95595923c5f.JPG22b80e12-addd-4c59-8334-46d201d538b8.JPG

a3e92057-6ce4-4d55-beb8-547454eefa43.JPG1c83f9c6-09dd-4d9c-b837-b057dd70ef23.JPG

You will also need an oil cooler, it could be cut out from the donor ki, but being who I am, I also made a form for that.

HTH

Finn

• Like 3

That's great stuff Finn, really a neat job !

I'll have to give it a try, afterall I have to find some use for all the overtrees I bought in the past.. 😁

The oil cooler doesn't worry me, I already have a silicone rubber mould I made from can't remember which kit. Same for other bits and pieces.

In the past I had already converted a IX into a single stage Merlin Spit when I turned the italeri IX into a Seafire III. In that case I shortened the cowling of the kit following drawings but all other parts were resin clones from other kits. Thinking about it, I also have at least another couple of Seafire I'd like to build...

Wow- first time I have seen those pump fairings continued on the fairing doors! Thanks for the walkaround, Tomas! (Wonder why, as there is no structure or mechanism inside that portion of the fairing to cover);that's one teensy-weensy bit of plasticard to make times two!) Is this a great hobby or what?

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling

7 hours ago, Tomas Enerdal said:

Giorgio,

For pics of the camera "plate", now known as an oil guard, see 

I also saw it as a plate, as have others before us.

Good luck!

Tomas Enerdal

6 hours ago, Tomas Enerdal said:

Giorgio,

Continuation of the fuel pump blisters onto the landing gear covers can be seen on the Norwegian MkXI, walk around here. (as can the front hood)

Good luck!

Tomas Enerdal

Thanks Tomas ! I should have checked this same forum better, after I read the thread I realised that I had already read it when first posted... oh well, I can try and blame my advancing age... 😁

Good to see the Norwegian PR walkaround, I had missed that one but it's very interesting, shows very well a lot of details.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

I've just come across a Ventura 1/72 pr.XI kit...  no idea if that is in anyway accurate enough.

the Ventura Spitfires/Seafires are noted for being really well shaped,  but require a lot of clean up work due to the limited run nature of them. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

I've just come across a Ventura 1/72 pr.XI kit...  no idea if that is in anyway accurate enough.

Good question...

for several years the Ventura kits were considered the most accurate two-stage Merlin powered Spitfires and a similar reputation was enjoyed by their line of Griffon engined variants.

Later when the Airfix new tool Mk.IX was compared to the measurements in the Monforton book someone measured the Ventura kits and found them not as accurate as previously believed.

Not one of the Merlin engined variants, but I personally compared a few weeks ago the Ventura Seafire 47 with the Airfix Mk.22 and found quite a difference in fuselage length and other aspects, so if one is accurate then the other isn't...

Now the above refers to overall shapes, not to the details applied to the PR.XI in particular, a kit that I've never owned. I would expect this to share the general dimensions with the Mk.IX from the same company and I have this, I'll try to compare it with the Eduard kit,

Of course when it comes to build experience the Ventura kits are very different from the likes of Eduard, being old school short run kits that require a lot of clean-up and require the modeller to add several detals.

41 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Oh dear... I feel a stash addition or two coming...;)

depending on your AMS and masochsitic tendancies,  as well as availability,  you might find cross kitting an Airfix PR XIX with something Merlin 60 engined easier...

In a box I have a part done one with a Heller XVI,  to give a lo-back XIV and and PR XI....

I have the Ventura kit,  it really will require some heavy duty scraping to remove big mould flow lines 

this is a reasonable image of a Ventura Spitfire 18, but this is typical of the Ventura kits

ventura-spitfire-mk-xviii-72-model_1_59b

note the heavy sprue gates, and basic detail.  

there is built Ventura PR XI here

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/ventura-spitfire-pr-mk-xi-in-172-scale.html

I'd say there is not much between converting better kits (with better and finer detail) and cleaning up and building the Ventura kit.

HTH

There's a PR XIX and an Overtree Mk.IX waiting in the wings in 1:48 for that. 
The PR XI pictures you linked do help though. Not entirely sure about those tailplanes - they seem slightly too large. Maybe crossfitting with a Mk.IX?

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, neilfergylee said:

Forgive me for hijacking a four-year-old thread but I am about to start cross-kitting the Hasegawa F.VIII fuselage, Airfix PR.XIX wings and the Quickboost conversion to build a 1/48 PR.XI.

53137205358_906129019e_b.jpg

Graft the Hase  Merlin 60 nose onto the PR XIX fuselage, and cut back the fin, the Hasegawa fuselage is to slim and short. Use the rads as well

You neec to do a few other small mods as well, as in the pressurised cockpit. 

On 23/08/2023 at 18:50, Troy Smith said:

Graft the Hase  Merlin 60 nose onto the PR XIX fuselage, and cut back the fin, the Hasegawa fuselage is to slim and short. Use the rads as well

You neec to do a few other small mods as well, as in the pressurised cockpit. 

I'd love to but I'm lacking a PR XIX fuselage so I'll have to work with what I've got.

• Like 1