Smer Walrus in IAC trim

Marklo

Yet another WIP thread I know, but in all probability the Pup rebuild, DH4, Dalek and Bulldog will all be finished soon, just leaving the HP O/400 Stuka, Albatros, Junkers and the Snark. As part of our Irish Air Corp  group build I''m going to try to build a reasonable model out of this.

49048859047_97b6557db9_w.jpg

BTW if you experience a sense of Deja vue then it's because there is a prior build of this kit on Britmodeller and except for the colour scheme and some interpretive differences I will be pretty much copying it :) 

49080236932_74578e76d6_z.jpg

Well the good news is that the shape is pretty good, so no major work needed, the bad mews is that the kit dates back to the 50s and has engraved insignia, too many panel lines and very heavy rib detail.

49080663802_024691f53f_z.jpg

Out with the filler then (perfect plastic putty, which I got last week and am starting to love) fill wipe repeat, till the lines are gone.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 8

I think it’s a Mk I. Now I’m not entirely sure what is different on further marks; and of course I now need to check my references to see which Mark was in service with the air Corp :)  

Welcome @Martian Hale bring the noise, so to speak :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Marklo said:

I think it’s a Mk I. Now I’m not entirely sure what is different on further marks; and of course I now need to check my references to see which Mark was in service with the air Corp :)  

Welcome @Martian Hale bring the noise, so to speak :) 

Mk. I metal, Mk.II wood.  I expect there were other differences, but AFAIK that’s the main one.  [It was to save strategically important materials]

• Like 1

49091888367_f6d173f153_z.jpg

49091664371_6da643a72e_z.jpg

Some interior detail (albiet minimalistic) once the canopy is on most of this will be invisible. The framing is cut with my little Neje laser engraver, possibly a bit overscall but saved a lot of work cutting little bits of strip.  Need some detail for the rear opening so I'll revise the artwork a bit to thin down the stringers and go again.

• Like 2

It will be silver overall with IAC stripes on the wings and tail. It’s the first of ( hopefully) many that I’m doing for our Irish air corp group build. I have an SE5, a gladiator, a Bristol fighter and a DH9 which may all go that way.

• Like 1

Can’t find details of the Aer Lingus one, but N18 one of three the Aer Corp flew is actually on display at Yeovilton . After being scrapped in 1946 it was found in a dump in the U.K. and bought for £5 before being restored and painted in RAF colours.  

49140697416_24e053b562_z.jpg

Flash ah ah Saviour of ht euniverse. Just not in this case. It's not a terrible kit but it isn't exactly well produced. I also seem to have lost a lot of my strut holes.

49140602586_d5e2bd5e05_z.jpg

But after a lot of fiddling, fettling and furtling the struts and lower nacelle go on.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 8:55 AM, Marklo said:

Didn’t know that. Can’t have been too comfortable for the passengers. They probably flew out of Foynes, perhaps to the UK o

It was in fact No.18 and it was actually intended as a trainer but never used by Aer Lingus and is the one displayed in Yeovilton.

It was also the Walrus that an Air Corps pilot stole so he could join in the war. He and Walrus was intercepted by the RAF and returned. Supposedly when pilot was released from the 'glasshouse' he joined the RAF and flew Spitfires in Italy.

So quite a storied aeroplane.

Edited by noelh

49153032548_6040b88f71_z.jpg

Assembled the top wing. Odd assembly, three wing sections but with tapered gussets to give the diehedral.  Will need a bit of filling.

49156655102_ece3e211b2_z.jpg

Sprayed the main assembly and added the national markings. Two rattle cans LIFL silver followed by Humbrol Aluminium, worked a charm on the DH4a went a bit orange peel in places on the Walrus. Probably didn't leave it long enough to dry between coats. Some liquid greenstuff/careful buffing and retouching with aluminium should fix it.

• Like 2

It actually looks like a very nice kit for its age - the wing fabric effect looks great. Nice cockpit detailing by the way - I think we need to know more about the “laser engraver” because I don’t think @CedB has bought one yet!

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 1

My engraver is a Neje 1watt engraver from gearbest 39mm x 39mm range made from repurposed optical drives cost about €80 including shipping and duty. Good for thin sheet, paper and masking tape ( the N20) I’ve already used it in 4 or 5 projects, it’s nearly like having my own PE setup.

The kits not too bad, it has engraved markings and a lot of flash but the shape is good and the engineering isn’t too bad. So far I’m fairly pleased with how it’s shaping up.

• 1 month later...

I go like this, my mustang(now finished) me 262, DH4a and Daleks have gotten the love over Christmas, but I’ve been thinking of the walrus ( and how to fix the orange peel on the upper side of the wing ( argh))

That said I think I’ve done way more gardening than modelling over the Christmas holidays. Ho hum.

Edited by Marklo

49337768733_cf8cb62c26_z.jpg

Back by popular request :). Rigged the centre section and polished and repainted the upper surfaces as well as filling around the canopy and  fitting the upper centre section struts.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1