Hasegawa FromA Porsche 962C

galaxyg

This should be a reasonably straightforward build, I hope. It's not an especially complex kit, less details than it's Tamiya equivalent unfortunately - especially in the suspension area - there is none here, the wheels just join onto axle stubs front and rear, so no steering either. There are things about it I'm going to improve however. Beginning with the bodywork in the final image, where the yellow body wraps further around into the wheel well than the kit version.

hasegawa_fromA_porsche_962c_wip_001.jpg

hasegawa_fromA_porsche_962c_wip_002.jpg

hasegawa_fromA_porsche_962c_wip_003.jpg

Removing the rear fins as this version has a separate rear wing.

hasegawa_fromA_porsche_962c_wip_004.jpg

hasegawa_fromA_porsche_962c_wip_005.jpg

hasegawa_fromA_porsche_962c_wip_006.jpg

hasegawa_fromA_porsche_962c_wip_007.jpg

hasegawa_fromA_porsche_962c_wip_008.jpg

• Like 1

Nice to see another Hasegawa / Revell 962 build.

Perhaps the biggest flaw with this kit is the shape of the fenders above the front wheels. They curve inside too much, where they should be more or less parallel with the sides of the body.

Sincerely

Pascal

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some more progress. After spraying the entire body white, then yellow, it became more apparent that some sink marks needed filling. What's more, my yellow was a bit to thick and ran. Some drying, filling and sanding later and it's ready to go yellow again. At this point in the build the equivalent Tamiya kit is inferior as the transparent parts are moulded-in.

In order to make a straightforward build less straightforward, I decided to get rid of the passenger seat. With all my 962 research online I found only a couple of cars with a passenger seat and a whole lot more without.  I'm sure it's something in some regulations - perhaps someone more versed in Group C cars can enlighten me. Anyway, the seat-less interior is a lot more interesting from a modelling point of view. Ripping the interior shell in pieces also gave me access to drill some holes in the centre strut between the drivers seat and the rest. At this point in the build the Tamiya kit is superior as it's got no seat.

hasegawa_fromA_porsche_962c_wip_009.jpg

hasegawa_fromA_porsche_962c_wip_010.jpg

hasegawa_fromA_porsche_962c_wip_011.jpg

hasegawa_fromA_porsche_962c_wip_012.jpg

hasegawa_fromA_porsche_962c_wip_013.jpg

hasegawa_fromA_porsche_962c_wip_014.jpg

hasegawa_fromA_porsche_962c_wip_015.jpg

hasegawa_fromA_porsche_962c_wip_016.jpg

hasegawa_fromA_porsche_962c_wip_017.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, galaxyg said:

In order to make a straightforward build less straightforward, I decided to get rid of the passenger seat. With all my 962 research online I found only a couple of cars with a passenger seat and a whole lot more without.  I'm sure it's something in some regulations - perhaps someone more versed in Group C cars can enlighten me. Anyway, the seat-less interior is a lot more interesting from a modelling point of view. Ripping the interior shell in pieces also gave me access to drill some holes in the centre strut between the drivers seat and the rest. At this point in the build the Tamiya kit is superior as it's got no seat.

I could be wrong on this, but there's something at the back of my mind says this might have been in the last year they ran the 962 at Le Mans, possibly they were trying to get it into the same class as all those GT cars in the early '90s? (he says thinking of that Top Gear programme where Rory Reid drove one on the road in Japan).

It's looking a nice build at the moment though, even if the sink marks did jump out at you they seem to have gone now and it'slooking pretty sharp.

More completed on the interior, and the exterior is ready for polishing now also. Seatbelts are actual fabric, with PE buckles and a white metal main buckle in the centre.

What's not great is how much emptiness you can see by looking through the back of the car. When the inside is painted black I'm sure this won't be as bad, but it calls for some scratch building to at least indicate *something* is there. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

More progress and some use of rivet-decals and BMF on both the interior and exterior. The discs and calipers are from Ebay -3rd party but designed for this kit, from mastercasters. I got the double caliper versions as they look more badass, even though you can barely see them once the wheels are on.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, galaxyg said:

More progress and some use of rivet-decals and BMF on both the interior and exterior. The discs and calipers are from Ebay -3rd party but designed for this kit, from mastercasters. I got the double caliper versions as they look more badass, even though you can barely see them once the wheels are on.

spacer.png

What was your method and experience with the Archer rivets? They look terrific in place.

2 hours ago, Codger said:

What was your method and experience with the Archer rivets? They look terrific in place.

The are all supplied on one large carrier film so I needed to cut them whilst dry into the exact strips rather than submerging a few rows in one go - that was one thing I learned. Aside from that they're applied like regular decals - albeit if they float off the backing sheet it's impossible to find which is the upper side and the lower side. They are quite easy to accidentally remove again whilst setting. and they can move around a fair bit too. Certainly if you apply BMF to them too soon before they've dried, they'll move.

Aside from a little bit of trickiness to apply - which is more lack of experience than anything else, they are really good. The photos don't do them justice, implying a level of roughness to the BMF over the top that's not apparent to the eye in real life, and the BMF does press down to produce perfect rivet rounds.

The delivery time is quite long, coming from the USA.  Very recommended however.

Some final details to the interior, a rough scratch built bit of engine and gearbox so something is visible through the rear end, and the start of the decal work. The finished car will be over in the Completed board shortly.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 4