Bronco Stug III ausf E

spursn17

I got fed up with my Firefly dio so started on a Bronco Stug III if anyone is interested?

It's a nice kit with no need to buy extras as photoetch and a metal barrel are already in the kit, just going to add acoulpe of crew though. The track links were a pain in the bum, 93 links each side, and two 0.5mm pins to each link! They move so they should hang well when I get them on, they are so light though it was hard to paint them as the airbrush kept blowing them across the table 🙂

So far I've painted the interior and added simple representations of the radio gear and an MP40. I primed it with Mr Surfacer, which I used for the first time  and is going to be my primer of choice as it sprayed so nicely. Base coat was Lifecolor German Panzer Grey, which also went on with no problems.

WIN-20191117-16-04-05-Pro.jpg

WIN-20191117-17-06-43-Pro.jpg

WIN-20191117-20-45-14-Pro.jpg

WIN-20191117-20-45-56-Pro.jpg

hosting images

Edited by spursn17
  • Like 7

Thanks all, I'll post more pics when I've done some more work to it. I applied the decals tonight and what a pig they were! Had to soak them for ages, and when they did eventually loosen up they stuck in position as soon as they touched the model, even using my favourite 'floating them on a pool of Kleer' method was difficult.

Recoat2966; I've been thinking how to lighten the grey up and after sticking a dark wash and some dust on it I may use a method that I used for a natural metal P51 I finished recently, I dry brushed it with different grades of clearcoat so as to keep the finish equal between the aluminum and olive drab sections. I'm thinking that it may work with this dark grey as well.

34 minutes ago, spursn17 said:

Recoat2966; I've been thinking how to lighten the grey up and after sticking a dark wash and some dust on it I may use a method that I used for a natural metal P51 I finished recently, I dry brushed it with different grades of clearcoat so as to keep the finish equal between the aluminum and olive drab sections. I'm thinking that it may work with this dark grey as well.

German Panzer Grey is a really hard colour to get to have some life in it. In reality is was a very dark colour, virtually black I've read -  (still a hotly disputed). But for me, at this scale you need to accentuate colour and contrast to create visual interest

Try giving this a read. I found it interesting. 

https://jllopezstyle.com/tiger-i-bw-technique/#

As you can see, sometime better to start off with a light and dark contrasts.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yep Redcoat2966, you were right!

The Lifecolor Panzer Grey (207) is a great colour for a fresh out of the factory vehicle but I couldn't do anything to lighten it, unfortunately I'd put the decals on and had to sand them off and re-coat those areas with the grey I'd already put on. I mixed the Lifecolor grey with some Vallejo German grey to lighten it and then sprayed another coat all over, concentrating on spraying from the top, now it looks a lot lighter! Next was a thin wash of the original Lifecolor grey so as to keep the blueish tone to the paint.

I'm in the process of applying a wash of Vallejo Black Grey lightened with the German grey to darken the recesses at the moment. I won't post any pics as due to the colours it doesn't look any different yet in the photo's, as soon as there's any discernible difference I'll put them up.

Cheers all

Dave (spursn17)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update time

WIN-20191221-20-37-06-Pro.jpg

WIN-20191221-20-37-23-Pro.jpg

WIN-20191221-20-38-10-Pro.jpg

After some dark washes over the lightened base colour I applied several light grey washes of varying shades, RAF Dark Sea Grey seemed to work really well to lighten it even further. This was then followed up by more darkening of shadowed areas with washes of Lifecolor 207 Dunkelgrau, then even more washes of the lighter greys to the centre of panels and anywhere that would get faded first. I then applied some of the Lifecolor Dunkelgrau with some sponge as if I were applying chipping to show the original colour through the fading.

Where I am now is that I've just used some Phthalo blue oil paint dots to filter the panels and add back in the blue tone of the Dunkelgrau, followed by some selective filtering with black and a very small amount of burnt umber oil dots. I found this blue to be a very strong colour and used it very sparingly.

I'm finding this difficult to take pics of the Stug that show the true colour of it, every pic I take is different from the last one. Next up will be some pastels to dust it up a bit.

Cheers

Dave (spursn17)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...