1/48 - Blackburn Firebrand Mk.V by Clear Prop Models - 3D renders+sprues - release in 2024 ?

Homebee

4 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

1/48 according to Barracuda Models :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/848474938507986/permalink/2905444369477689/

Roy Sutherland shared a post.

OK, I guess the cat is out of the bag, as the designer posted this on another Facebook group.. So here is the kit in development I was talking about. Ladies and gentlemen (and you guys, too!), I give you the first ever injection molded kit of the Blackburn Firebrand TF 5 in any scale, to be released by Clear Prop Models. This kit will be 1/48th scale, and will feature a folded wings option!

My good friend Robin Powell and I have been working with Clear Prop Models to make this the most accurate Firebrand yet. A few years back, I managed to get copies of the only surviving Firebrand manual that I am aware of. This, combined with a very careful study of many photos and existing drawings (some of which are pretty poor) and corrections made to the best of them, have uncovered a couple subtle shapes never appreciated before in miniature, down to the prop blades, modelled after a surviving Firebrand prop blade!

This is a big beast of an airplane, and I am super excited and proud to have helped in making this kit a reality. Clear Prop does amazing work, and from what I've seen so far of the CAD, this kit should be a real show stopper! Can't wait to see plastic on the "Firebrick." It plugs a big hole in British Naval aircraft of the late 40s and 50s.

No idea when it will be released, but i'd guess sometime in 2020.

Hope you are even half as excited as I am. :-) Thanks to Clear prop models for making this kit a reality.

Happy modelling! Roy

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

Nice! Now to hope for a Firecrest in 1/48 (i can dream) 

IIR Combat Kits intend to next year according to their stand at Telford but assume it will be resin

mike

Edited by mick b

44 minutes ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

Nice! Now to hope for a Firecrest in 1/48 (i can dream) 

From the same era and after the Firebrand I'd like in 1/48th something with an operational record: a Bristol Brigand.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, Homebee said:

From the same era and after the Firebrand I'd like in 1/48th something with an operational record: a Bristol Brigand.

V.P.

Now you're talking , I'd love a 1/48 Brigand in any medium , but an injection moulded one would do nicely.

Andrew

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Valom have announced a 1/72 TF.5. How it makes compared to a Clearprop one remains to be seen but I'd guess it will be less spendy.

Steve.

I'd had both Valom's TF.4 and TF.5 on order with Hannants until seeing this thread. No disrespect to Valom but all of their kits need work to build whereas the Clearprop Gloster E.38 has received some glowing reviews. I know it's risky to base any judgement on such little evidence, so I can always pick the Valom offerings later.

Or build the 4 CMR kits I've got somewhere.

Might also have the Aki kit (not too sure, but definitely have their Sea Fury).

Edge

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jon Bryon said:

Now I'm really glad I didn't buy the Combat Kits resin model at Telford!

Jon

I did- having tried to finish a Magna kit for the last 3 or 4 years.  Significant rebuilding of short cast parts , but biggest problem is that even Mr Surfacer won't stick to the weird  Magna resin. I've build replacement U/C I can re use ( although the Combat kit has white metal U/C).  The moulds have been cleaned up significantly compared to the Magna kit, with a decent clear resin canopy.  The detail parts have been cast in resin rather than white metal so it will be easier to drill out the exhaust.  I bought the fixed wing version as that's the Magna kit I was trying to build. Combat did have folded wing versions which looked nice in the box. Having said that the CAD shots of this look much superior than a "garage" resin kit would ever be.  At least this is the bubble top version so I can think of getting this one too!

• Like 1