Tamiya 1/24 Lancia Stratos Turbo

Spiny

This one is a rebuild of a kit I built at least 30 years ago. It's quite a simple kit what with being motorised, so it only took a couple of months to complete. Nevertheless, I'm still quite pleased with the way it's turned out - not perfect by any means but a big improvement on how it started out. This is the build thread if anyone wants to see how it came together.

The kit started out in one pieces apart from a couple of pieces which had gone missing, but was decidedly grubby and looking a bit sorry for itself.

48739534622_f426eab640_c.jpg

So, for a fun little project between longer builds, I took it to pieces, painted it (just bare plastic before) and got hold of the Shunko decals to have another go at those. The decals are definitely the biggest challenge with this kit (60 in total, including some which are quite large) and the Microsol saw a bit of action. The end result isn't perfect, but that's as much down to the shape of the car and trying to get the decals to conform than it is anything else. Clearcoat is Pledge Revive It (aka Future) - it didn't airbrush too well but spread out quite nicely when brush painted and apart from a couple of runs produced a decent finish.

Anyway, enough chatter, here's a shed load of photos :) No pics on the mirror this time, mainly because the underside if low to the ground and pretty featureless, but I'm sure there's more than enough below anyway.

49081055107_407bee24dd_c.jpg

(I couldn't get a better pic of the interior than this)

49080331858_b8f373a35f_c.jpg

49080332498_2370620d8e_c.jpg

49081056027_58290e0b42_c.jpg

49080855326_b5da4165a0_c.jpg

49080331638_71aa04519a_c.jpg

49080331008_d2da1a4341_c.jpg

49081055762_ca08b0f122_c.jpg

49081055552_ebe103d763_c.jpg

49080331418_5e33501272_c.jpg

49080331108_c68280101a_c.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Well done resto Spiny. Good job on those decals and nice pics too!

Thank you to everone who liked and commented. I'm pleased you like the pics too - it's another thing I'm getting better at, and after the Charger I felt that the pics taken at car level do seem to give a better look than those from higher up so I thought I'd major on that this time around - glad it found favour :)

Hi Spiny,

I just wish I still had my old Tamiya Stratos which I built nearly 40 years ago. I think I dumped it when I moved into my current house about 20 years ago.

I feel a loft inspection coming on, just in case!

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alan R said:

Hi Spiny,

I just wish I still had my old Tamiya Stratos which I built nearly 40 years ago. I think I dumped it when I moved into my current house about 20 years ago.

I feel a loft inspection coming on, just in case!

Cheers,

Alan.

Good luck with the hunt, I hope you find it. If not, as you said in the build thread, there's always the new silver version... ;)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Great resto job . Classic livery . I've said before , but old liveries are great ; clear , easy to read ,simple.  Modern designs are Just a mess . Watching WRC over weekend and current colour schemes are just an over complicated mess !!

Gary . 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Windy37 said:

Great resto job . Classic livery . I've said before , but old liveries are great ; clear , easy to read ,simple.  Modern designs are Just a mess . Watching WRC over weekend and current colour schemes are just an over complicated mess !!

Gary . 

I do get the impression at times that vinyl wrapping was the single worst invention when it came to race/rally car liveries.

• Like 1