HMS Westminster 1/350 1994 Type 23 Frigate F237

It has taken some time but I have finally taken some decent photos of my 1/350 1994 build of HMS Westminster. This is the Trumpeter 1/350 kit with White Ensign photo etch, a Trumpeter Lynx, 30mm cannons and main gun barrel from Veteran Models, some 1/700 battleship anchor chain, lots of 0.1mm wire, and decals from Hawk Graphics. 

This is a gift for my dad who was the XO in 1994 so getting the build as accurate as possible was really important to me: a big thank you to all the guys over in the WIP thread that helped me out with the details.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 55
  • Thanks 6

Wonderful work - and most useful (I have one of these on the bench at the moment as a commission) for me.

Some of that PE is a real pain, isn't it?

I'm sure your Dad will treasure that.

Kev

11 hours ago, modelman182 said:

Wonderful work - and most useful (I have one of these on the bench at the moment as a commission) for me.

Some of that PE is a real pain, isn't it?

I'm sure your Dad will treasure that.

Kev

Yep I ended up going through 3 sets! 🤑🤢 
I was reasonably happy with it in the end though, some bits could definitely be tidier but there is always next time. 

It also took me 6 Lynxes to get the undercarriage fitted, those pesky wheels just love to fly off the tweezers! 😂
Luckily they did come in a pack of 6 but it would have been nice to have some left overs.

Oh and a 30mm gun went awol so I had to order double of those

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Matthew Spence said:

Yep I ended up going through 3 sets! 🤑🤢 
I was reasonably happy with it in the end though, some bits could definitely be tidier but there is always next time. 

It also took me 6 Lynxes to get the undercarriage fitted, those pesky wheels just love to fly off the tweezers! 😂
Luckily they did come in a pack of 6 but it would have been nice to have some left overs.

Oh and a 30mm gun went awol so I had to order double of those

Crikey, I feel lucky - I've only got two sets (the kit one and a set of railings from White Ensign) and there's a good chance I'll get it done without needing any more.

I went with the Merlin that comes with the kit and managed to get that done without any flyaway parts. The jury may still be out on the 30mm, though... I haven't got to that yet.... 🙂

Kev

I watched the build thread Matthew and the final job is indeed awesome. I would love to be able to build a model warship to your standard, and will certainly be using your thread as a key reference source specifically for a Type 23, and generally for any 1/350 scale Warship.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Matthew,

What a perfectly finished RN frigate this is.

I think LT CDR RN Pence will be very pleased with this gift.

Highest Regards, orion / The Netherlands.

• 4 weeks later...

Outstanding build. I haven't read the build thread, but I really admire the attention to detail  (bridge screen doors open at flying stations ). Can I assume that as the former XO your old man was giving you grief over the "gingering" (rust streaks) that you have expertly added. 

Thank you for taking the time to photograph and share with us.